What's new

Examples of some JNats

New Jnats. Well, old Jnats I that was taking picures of last week. The first 2 pics are the front and back of an 330mate stone. It gives off some good action but a little slippery if that makes sense (not much water needed!). I haven't fooled around with where it fits into a progression. I am looking to experiment with that this week.

The last three are from a stone I got off of ebay from japanblades. It was the same price he was selling it on his site, but I figures hey why not. That one is softer and has a gritty feel to it. It is a suita stone with some great feedback, I really like it.
I wonder what the stamp says on the side...

I'm wanting another yet still, and I haven't decided yet what I direction I should go. I'm on the prowl for a kiita I think but I've heard they are more expensive....

Have a look!

Raymond

Real Kiita (they are long mined out) are expensive because they are very rare.
Kiita also is not the best to use for razors because they are not as hard, unless you find a particular stone that is harder than usual. Such stone will be even more expensive.
Your best bet for a good razor finisher is Asagi, they are still very common and therefore cheaper.

My Asagi is a Maruichi Maruka Nakayama with Nihon Kamisori stamps. It is indeed a great finisher but also very, very slow. At least as slow as the Chinese 12K. Perhaps slower. When I have the time to use it, it will create a fantastic edge.

An asagi, huh? The Suita above finishes nicely, I'll have to take some before and after pics of the edge. I guess when I say it's soft I actually mean it makes slurry easy with a diamond plate. Maybe I'll look into an asagi so I have something to compare!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Raymond

An asagi, huh? The Suita above finishes nicely, I'll have to take some before and after pics of the edge. I guess when I say it's soft I actually mean it makes slurry easy with a diamond plate. Maybe I'll look into an asagi so I have something to compare!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Raymond
Suita is a layaer in the strata, the stones mined from different places but in the same strata are generally called suita, but when they come from different mines they also have different qualities.
Asagi is just the name of the color of the stone, its gray-blue and it comes from the color of the traditional kimono centuries ago. Asagi stones usually come from strata that is deeper than Tomae and therefore finer. From what I understand you can find some Suita stones that are as fine as a good Nakayama finisher but those would be really expensive and very rare.

To sum it up, Nakayama mined finishing stone is the best you can get, but make sure its picked by person that knows stones, So from japantool is where I got mine, and he knows his stuff.

Top Bottom