What's new

Every day pen ink colour

What colour ink do you use for every day writing?

• Blue

• Black

• Blue/Black

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a fountain pen guy, and typically keep 3 inked: one with Noodler's Bulletproof Black for note in my lab journals, one with Noodler's Blue-Black or Legal Lapis for casual writing, and one with Noodler's Walnut or Brown #41 for grading (more interesting than red IMO). I'm a fan of Noodler's inks, especially the longevity and fade resistance for lab notes.

What would you recommend? I have Velvet Black from Private Reserve.

I haven't used any others yet, but I was very disappointed in the way my Waterman Blue-Black turned out. I suppose I should give it another shot just to make sure it wasn't a fluke with the pen I was using it in. Actually, I think I'll do that today in my Lamy 2000.

EDIT: This review on FPN is quite accurate to the color I got when I first used the ink. I wouldn't call that Blue-Black, I'd call that teal. For my trial today, I'm using it in a wetter pen and I've shaken the bottle up considerably to make sure everything is consistent. The color looks decent today, but I believe in a couple days it'll look just as bad as that review.

Last edited:
After many happy years of using Aurora Black and Pelikan Blue-Black, I dipped my toes into the waters of Noodlers Red-Black, Aircorp Blue-Black, Luxury Blue, and Aquamarine Contract (blue). But within the past year, I have truly succumbed to NAD (Noodlers aquisition disorder) by buying three greens, two browns, and a purple. I can't decide whether it's good, clean fun or a sickness in need of treatment.

My job requires me to send out form letters to multiple addresses, because they are form letters I personalize them with my signature with a fountain pen loaded with blue ink.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Black.

I've been a black ink guy for ages. I have a fine-nibbed Pelikan with Noodler's black for everyday use, and a medium-nibbed Pelikan with Noodler's blue for signatures on letters and documents.

I switch inks somewhat infrequently but my day to day pen is inked with Diamine Sepia, particularly when I'm marking student papers. The other ink colours in my rotation are Pelikan Brilliant Brown and Parker Black or Blue-Black but I am well known for my use of brown inks.

Top Bottom