What's new

Stop the scratch

I write about 2,500 words a day without a scratch. I write small, so I prefer a fine point. I also use the back of the nib.
To stop the scratch, I use the Palmer writing method. This means no finger movement. It works best with a shallow pen angle. The hard part is ultra-light pressure so only the ink touches the paper.

In my opinion, a steep angle and finger movement cause scratching.

Paper does make a difference. I find these inexpensive notebooks from Walmart work well. I use Monteverde ink.

This is my favorite pen.

It takes practice. I've written 242,007 words since 10/13/22, but then, whose counting?

IMG_2023_01_01_06_08_14S.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If a nib scratches, I'll check the tines haven't become misaligned, then scribble on a nail buffer (the kind with assorted grits), to polish off any rough edges. The pen has to suit my writing style, not me adjust to suit it. I don't use any prescribed writing method, nor worry about aesthetics. Comfort and legibility are all that matter to me.

Smoothing a nib is a great art but near impossible if the tines are not in perfect alignment.

When they are correct you can smooth to suit you, probably only you.

Over the years I have built up selection of stones, progressively smoother until I reach flint, not sure that this is a global term, the geologists call it chert, a very smooth and shiny stone used in Neoloithic times to create arrow heads. A gentle and even smoothing of a nib on wet chert works for me, some people then progress to polished copper or even glass

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My answer to stopping the scratch was to buy Pelikan pens, but I've sent my three favorite pens out to nib masters and the results are beyond pleasing.

Smoothing a nib is a great art but near impossible if the tines are not in perfect alignment.

When they are correct you can smooth to suit you, probably only you.

Over the years I have built up selection of stones, progressively smoother until I reach flint, not sure that this is a global term, the geologists call it chert, a very smooth and shiny stone used in Neoloithic times to create arrow heads. A gentle and even smoothing of a nib on wet chert works for me, some people then progress to polished copper or even glass

If a nib scratches, I'll check the tines haven't become misaligned, then scribble on a nail buffer (the kind with assorted grits), to polish off any rough edges. The pen has to suit my writing style, not me adjust to suit it. I don't use any prescribed writing method, nor worry about aesthetics. Comfort and legibility are all that matter to me.

Interesting.

I have some very fine lapping film that might be useful in smoothing out a scratchy nib...I just don't have the nerve to try it.

Top Bottom