What's new

Everready find

I recently found out that an antique store site that I have been browsing for months had an Everready for sale. I have never tried any razor that uses a GEM blade. Since I'm using injectors. So of course I'm a little intrigued. I was hoping for some help from others here with experience with these kind of razors.

Here are some pictures the site has up of the razor:

everready2.jpg
everready1.jpg

The store says it is a travel set.

Anyway I was wondering if based on these pictures if anybody could tell exactly what model it is. Since I'm curious how far of a difference the different models are to each other in terms of being aggressive and so on. Only info I got is that it is a US made one.

Personally I must say that the condition alone makes it tempting to just buy it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
That is an Ever-Ready 1914 (also known as the "Little Lather Catcher"). It will most likely have a patent date underneath the head of March 24, 1914. Great shaver. Easily takes modern Gem Stainless Steel or Carbon blades (I'd recommend the GEM SS PTFE-coated blades). I have that same travel set -- it's very nice...not rare or difficult to find, but for those of us who enjoy the Gem/Ever-Ready razors, it's a very nice find.

Ask questions if you'd like....but I won't be able to help you with cost/pricing, as you undoubtedly know, value assessment isn't something we can help with.

Flintstone65

I recently found out that an antique store site that I have been browsing for months had an Everready for sale. I have never tried any razor that uses a GEM blade. Since I'm using injectors. So of course I'm a little intrigued. I was hoping for some help from others here with experience with these kind of razors.

Here are some pictures the site has up of the razor:

View attachment 1120794 View attachment 1120795

The store says it is a travel set.

Anyway I was wondering if based on these pictures if anybody could tell exactly what model it is. Since I'm curious how far of a difference the different models are to each other in terms of being aggressive and so on. Only info I got is that it is a US made one.

Personally I must say that the condition alone makes it tempting to just buy it.
I realize I didn't comment on the shave relative to an injector (which I also regularly use and collect). I find Injectors a bit smoother to use than Gem blades, but this razor does a good job of holding the blade in tight....in fact, I would wager that the spring holding that top cap down is like an crocodile's jaw....snaps close VERY tightly. I've had a couple 1914's and they both hold the blade nice and tightly, so the end result is a relatively smooth shave....probably akin to a Type G Schick....that's my opinion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
^^^^^^^^^
Agree with Fred @Flintstone65 , Good call.
Some more information on that great razor if interested.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I have exactly that set. I believe the case is the "Peerless". Mine has a user written date inside. 1924
4629498F-2CC1-49C0-AADB-DA526965B3DE.jpeg

Check this thread:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a nice looking razor. SE and I do not get on but I do own several SE razors. Members here who use them seem to love them.

The ER 1914 Little Lather Catcher is in my top 2 or 3 SE razors of any type, and the example you are pondering looks to be in top condition. The handle might be a little slippery when wet, but touching a piece of alum will take care of that.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The LLC is probably my favourite among the vintage Gem and other ASR products I've tried. It feels more aggressive to me than a Gem 1912, and gives me closer shaves with less work and irritation.

I find that I really like to use one of the 8-24 to 10-32 thread adaptors, and put a RazoRock HD handle on it. I also have a homemade copper handle that I use with it.

Good shaves, for sure!

O.H.

@pjgh , thanks for that catalog page! I will post it to the ASR model thread with credit to you.

The contrast in model naming between the Gem sets (competitive) and the Ever-Ready sets (lifestyle, automotive) is startling. I see myself as more Sporty than Triumphant, so I lucked out in finding my wild Ever-Ready Sport.

Print out and tick 'em off as you get them ... I'm missing a Victor and a Winner. Maybe if I swing by the Shapleigh Hardware & Company in St Louis, I can pick them up.

Please do! I found that on the web somewhere rather than scanned it; it's not mine. I like to use old adverts to get specific dates to razors and build a picture of the retail environment at the time. Blade catalogues are useful, too.

The Speedster is a nice set. It's wood, so a more of a common man thing than the plush Marbelite (not pictured) set. My Speedster came with an engraved cap, "Compliments of Sears & Roebuck".

proxy.php

The Sears & Roebuck catalogue was apparently a big deal in its day. The Ever-Ready 1924 model was launched in that catalogue, so it's a nice touch and a nice model to have. Not all Speedsters were engraved and so it does make me think that a good number of razors that were sold out of that catalogue were and would have been in all manner of sets.

Print out and tick 'em off as you get them ... I'm missing a Victor and a Winner. Maybe if I swing by the Shapleigh Hardware & Company in St Louis, I can pick them up.

Please do! I found that on the web somewhere rather than scanned it; it's not mine. I like to use old adverts to get specific dates to razors and build a picture of the retail environment at the time. Blade catalogues are useful, too.

The Speedster is a nice set. It's wood, so a more of a common man thing than the plush Marbelite (not pictured) set. My Speedster came with an engraved cap, "Compliments of Sears & Roebuck".

proxy.php

The Sears & Roebuck catalogue was apparently a big deal in its day. The Ever-Ready 1924 model was launched in that catalogue, so it's a nice touch and a nice model to have. Not all Speedsters were engraved and so it does make me think that a good number of razors that were sold out of that catalogue were and would have been in all manner of sets.

Sears, Roebuck and their catalog were a big deal even in my day. Also a big deal in Chicago (Sears Tower, WLS radio), where I grew up in the western suburbs. 'Sears and Sawbuck' and 'Monkey Wards' were important suppliers to my small town and country farming grandparents, as well as a competitor with my grandad's hardware store. Among other important roles, the catalogs were the source of toilet paper in the outhouses back before sewers and city water.

I didn't know that Sears launched the E-R 1924 Shovelhead, one of my favorite Gem blade razors. I wonder whether our family hardware store sold razors in its heyday. Or Shapleigh Diamond Edge products. The store was winding down by the time I knew it, not much stock at all.

Flintstone65

Sears, Roebuck and their catalog were a big deal even in my day. Also a big deal in Chicago (Sears Tower, WLS radio), where I grew up in the western suburbs. 'Sears and Sawbuck' and 'Monkey Wards' were important suppliers to my small town and country farming grandparents, as well as a competitor with my grandad's hardware store. Among other important roles, the catalogs were the source of toilet paper in the outhouses back before sewers and city water.

I didn't know that Sears launched the E-R 1924 Shovelhead, one of my favorite Gem blade razors. I wonder whether our family hardware store sold razors in its heyday. Or Shapleigh Diamond Edge products. The store was winding down by the time I knew it, not much stock at all.
+1, albeit somewhat of a different environment. As a military family, I remember waiting and then pouring over -- page by page -- the Sears Wishbook (I remember it as one word, but it may have been spelled properly as two words). The first one I remember seeing was when I was 4 years old and we were stationed in Tehran. I don't really remember if Sears shipped stuff that far, but man I loved looking at that catalog. Monkey Wards was a close 2nd in our family, and if we bought anything, it was going to be from one of those two stores, or from the base exchange.

Thanks for the info guys. Always fun to get a glimpse of elements of history. After a lot of thinking I broke down and bought the razor. Looking forward to getting it.

The ER 1914 Little Lather Catcher is in my top 2 or 3 SE razors of any type, and the example you are pondering looks to be in top condition. The handle might be a little slippery when wet, but touching a piece of alum will take care of that.

Hello, I hope you don't mind me horning in here. Are you referring to wiping the razor handle with shaving alum, or aluminum foil? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I lover my ER 1914 razor, but I see the handle as a downside, especially when slick. Thanks.

Hello, I hope you don't mind me horning in here. Are you referring to wiping the razor handle with shaving alum, or aluminum foil? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I lover my ER 1914 razor, but I see the handle as a downside, especially when slick. Thanks.

They meant alum. Rub your fingers on an alum block, which will improve the grippiness of your fingers.

Top Bottom