What's new

Et tu Speick Stick?

Bump - Nobody has tried the new formula?
I can copy-paste you the most up-voted review (12 to 0) in a German drugstore here:
The old formulation was better! (Score: 2/5)

Unfortunately, the stick has recently been made with a vegan formulation. Certainly a good thing for animal welfare, but the care and sliding properties of this new shaving soap leave a lot to be desired. The whiskers are no longer softened as well and the skin becomes dry quickly. These effects did not occur in the formulation with tallow. However, the scent has improved and is much more intense than that of the old formula. There is also no longer as much water required for lathering.

Source: dm-drogerie markt - dauerhaft günstig online kaufen - https://www.dm.de/speick-men-rasierseife-p4009800001787.html

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ll take one for the team, I was doing some odds and ends on Amazon and threw one in the cart - supposed to be the new ones. It’s due Jan 4-8.

Well that didn’t work. The image was the new, ordered only one in case it was a flop and it took forever to get here from Beautyways. It’s a tallow stick, lol!

Want the old, get the new, want the new, get the old.

Sticks seem to be difficult to find for some reason, but no need to worry about economical shaving soap though the days of the 50p stick of Palmolive are apparently over. If a stick isn’t worth $6.50 - $7.50 USD (4.50 - 5.50 GBP or €) better be looking for alternatives or stocking up.

The main draw of many of these were that they were cheap, not so much that they were that good (there are very few that I have not tried) though they were all very competent. If sticks become widely available again I suspect the cost will be dramatically higher. Rather than paying $7.50 for a 50g stick, except to satisfy my curiosity, I’d much rather have a brick of nice Italian croap and a good cheap boar brush. I haven’t found a stick yet that equals 3P except the discontinued Valobra stick.

Well that didn’t work. The image was the new, ordered only one in case it was a flop and it took forever to get here from Beautyways. It’s a tallow stick, lol!

Want the old, get the new, want the new, get the old.

Sticks seem to be difficult to find for some reason, but no need to worry about economical shaving soap though the days of the 50p stick of Palmolive are apparently over. If a stick isn’t worth $6.50 - $7.50 USD (4.50 - 5.50 GBP or €) better be looking for alternatives or stocking up.

The main draw of many of these were that they were cheap, not so much that they were that good (there are very few that I have not tried) though they were all very competent. If sticks become widely available again I suspect the cost will be dramatically higher. Rather than paying $7.50 for a 50g stick, except to satisfy my curiosity, I’d much rather have a brick of nice Italian croap and a good cheap boar brush. I haven’t found a stick yet that equals 3P except the discontinued Valobra stick.
I have some 3P in my stash and I do like Vitos Extra Super Coco will it be comparable?better?
0EE6FAA0-49D9-4FA7-B4E4-01E513628199.jpeg

Steve56

I have some 3P in my stash and I do like Vitos Extra Super Coco will it be comparable?better?
View attachment 1388227

To me it is. I have not tried Vitos but am curious about it. I liked Cella pretty well too, but not as well as 3P. Cella also went rancid on me fairly quickly (as in 60-90 days) unless I kept it in the refrigerator. I love the scent of Cella brick - same scent as the old pre-reformulation Acca Kappa in the brown tub.

To me it is. I have not tried Vitos but am curious about it. I liked Cella pretty well too, but not as well as 3P. Cella also went rancid on me fairly quickly (as in 60-90 days) unless I kept it in the refrigerator. I love the scent of Cella brick - same scent as the old pre-reformulation Acca Kappa in the brown tub.
The Coco has tallow the 3P doesn’t. I wasn’t happy with the red Cella and pifed it rather early on. I just got a tub of the Extra Extra to see if it suits me better.
7DE03344-58D2-4591-A49C-8B9B9E3DC1A1.jpeg

Steve56

That’s right, 3P is not a tallow croap, but it doesn’t seem to matter. The 3P formula BTW, is very similar to Martin de Candre the ingredient list is pretty much the same though 3P has some added potassium carbonate. The performance is close too.

I have the ‘green’ Cella, but have never used it enough to make an informed opinion. Why? The scent - it has a metallic note like Creed Aventus, maybe IsoE? I’m a bit allergic to it. My skin is fine with it but it makes me sneeze, which is not the best thing when shaving with a straight razor, lol. I do think Cella Bio smells like ‘Aventus light’ and actually like it better than Aventus though I can’t use either.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have 120 Palmolive sticks, 40 Speick sticks, 18 Arko sticks, 14 Valobra sticks, and a bunch of tallowate Harris/Salter soap.

I also really like Cella's Bio and Pre de Provence, both of which are vegan.

I also know how to make my own shave soap, and do, and I like it as well as anything I can buy if not better.

Stock up, try some vegan soaps, learn a new skill. The market does what it will. Don't be subservient to the whims of commercial entities.
This might be overkill. At the current moment 10 sticks is gonna last me at least 6 or 7 years...
Thanks for the head-up on this. :thumbsup:
Tbh, I need more soap in my den like a hole in my head, but the tallow based Speick Stick is an excellent product. Placed an order.

Since La Toja has been mentioned... Imo the tallow based shave stick blows the La Toja's shave stick out of the water. With ease, my friends.
Agreed. Tallow La Toja doesn't have the same degree of comfort for me.
The hard realization is that you can't really stock up, that you will eventually run out. So that so much this becomes not about holding on, but about letting go.

Let it not be said that Speick stick let us down in the end, but rather that Speick stick was a great stick.
I think my first quote won't run into that issue...😄
This isn’t my fight as I never used a Speick stick. But I am amazed at the lengths many companies will go to for the purpose of destroying their reputation and business.

I never used a number of the old line British soaps that were reformulated and “ruined”. I now have no desire to try a once great brand that rarely sees a good word anymore. I tried a TOBS Traditional soap and finished it as a shower soap because it was the worst soap I had ever used.

Why do these companies do this?

On the other hand a reformulation of a mediocre soap might make it better provided the customer is not already lost. I tried B&M Seville and enjoyed the scent, but not the Glissant (I believe) base. I now understand they have changed bases again but it is too late, they lost me as a customer years ago.

I think there is comfort in consistency and predictability. I’m not one, but have never heard of an Arko repeat customer that wasn’t satisfied. If you liked it the first time, you could count on always liking it.

As for Tallow vs Non-Tallow soaps, there is room for both with user preference being the deciding factor. Cella realized this and now has two products. Perhaps the problem is that shaving soap is not important to many of these companies and that is why a company might not care about losing customers.
This is why Cella is great.

Top Bottom