What's new

Estate Sale Hopeful

I went into an antique store. No avail though the lady saw two straights that day and gave me a flyer for an estate sale the following weekend. Came across a picture on the auction site. Though she said there were two, hmm... Anxious for the weekend, wish me luck!
Went to another antique store they had a good number of straights but the prices. $55 for a Boker, and I was pressed for time so I didn't see any out of the case. But here's the picture for the estate sale :w00t: What are the two odd balls?

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
55 for a Boker in good condition is a relative steal IMO given current EBay cutthroat pricing :). If its a King Cutter with all goldwash and no rust I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Lavaine is right. The two with combs/teeth are razors with guards used almost always as hair shapers. Durham Duplex was a brand of that style and the beige one looks like a Durham.
From the scales only, the sepia and black one looks like a Novelty Cutlery razor. Some people collect them for the scales alone. Good shavers but most of the value for that one is in the scales if in good shape.
The beige one could be a Union Cutlery Spike or Geneva Wedge, also good shavers. Can't tell what the black one is.
It depends on what condition the blades are in and I personally wouldn't pay big bucks but certainly worth a closer look.

Thanks everyone, I'm not giving the estate sale a lot of hope, but in the event I can get them for a few dollars each I can turn around and sell them for a little bit. As for the Boker, I will check it out after work. Pricing on Ebay seems like a hit or miss, but part of me believes that the pricing compared to the other razors is the black decorative scales. Hopefully I know what I'm looking at when I head there luckily it's only a mile away and they had atleast 6 razors. I was just slacking after a dental appointment so I didn't want to waste anymore government time by looking at razors out of the case.

Thanks everyone, I'm not giving the estate sale a lot of hope, but in the event I can get them for a few dollars each I can turn around and sell them for a little bit. As for the Boker, I will check it out after work. Pricing on Ebay seems like a hit or miss, but part of me believes that the pricing compared to the other razors is the black decorative scales. Hopefully I know what I'm looking at when I head there luckily it's only a mile away and they had atleast 6 razors. I was just slacking after a dental appointment so I didn't want to waste anymore government time by looking at razors out of the case.

To buy off ebay you have to know what you're looking at and you still have to be lucky. The value in straights is in the blade (except for those with genuine ivory scales). Maybe the seller is pricing the razor based on the scales, but the value in the Boker is definitely in the blade.
The Novelty Cutlery razor is an exception since they were the only ones to make scales like that and there's a niche market for them.
Good luck in the hunt.

Had a look around again, It was a Boker "Unrivaled." Decent condition, I didn't take my microscope I brought with me to the blade but I would rather get the satisfaction of restoring something like that myself and I'm not quite ready for that. There was also a W&B for possibly the same price as the Boker, I passed on both of them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
While that Boker would likely shave well, it prolly isn't worth 55.00 in merely decent condition :).

Top Bottom