What's new

Espresso machine

I find that manual grinding fits the overall workflow. I don't have a Cafelat Robot (looks great and I would like to try one out) but I very often use a Rok/Presso.

After filling the electric kettle to begin heating the water, I manually grind the beans with one of my Orphan Espresso hand grinders. After grinding is complete, I prepare the coffee cup and get the portafilter ready (allowing at least a few seconds for the grinds to settle and static electricity to dissipate.) I then load and tamp. Once the water is ready, I flush the espresso machine with hot water to heat it and the cup. Then repeat with the portafilter inserted to deliver an Americano.

If I was heating/frothing milk it would surely eat into the time gap available to hand grind. Though I would also be tempted to get one of those stand alone electric machines to heat and froth.

I hear you. I'd rather spend more money on the electric grinder and forgo an electric froth machine, even if that messes with my workflow. And if I really need to go with an electric frother, that will leave me more time to pay attention to manually pulling my shots from the Robot.

A good grinder coupled with a good espresso machine and a scale will allow you to dial in the mix of temperature, grind size, dose and extraction time to get the most out of any bean. The manual machines in the last several posts are intriguing to me and some very attractive. Though I have spent half a pound of beans chasing a particular batch, with a semi auto machine it usually only takes a couple of shots to get the grind size and dose right to extract flavors you never knew could come from coffee.

I use a Baratza Preciso for a grinder, which unfortunately is not sold any more so the Virtuoso+ recommended previously is a good bet. That coupled with a Rancilio Silvia works great if you don't mind spending the cash and are looking for a machine that operates consistently. For the ultimate consistency from that machine you can purchase one with a PID (proportional–integral–derivative controller that allows for fine tuning temperature). For a scale, I really like the American Weigh Scales SC Series which travels very well and takes up scant space.

It has been 5 years of sporadic use of the Silvia (sometimes several days a week, sometimes it sits for a couple of weeks) but daily use of the Preciso and both still work great and produce terrific coffee drinks. Watch the black Friday sales and look for a combination package from people like the ones in Seattle that sell Coffee Gear to get the best deals this time of year.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Breville Barista Express. I have had this machine for 5 years and for the price, it is amazing. it takes up a bit of counter space, but not much more than a toaster or larger coffee machine. It makes perfect espresso every time and if you like a cappuccino or latte, no problem, the frothing is quite simple to master.

IMG_3870.jpeg

I just ordered an entry level Nespresso machine from Amazon, and I'm looking forward to when it gets delivered. I realize that serious espresso aficionados scoff at this sort of thing, but it seems to be the right choice for me. You drop a pod in, press a button, and out pops a consistent brew. No mess, no fuss, and no bells and whistles that I'll never use. What's not to like?

I was given an Aeroccino milk frother a few years ago, and it mostly just sits in a cabinet, unused. I'm hoping to make a few cappuccinos when the Nespresso machine comes. :)
I stay at a resort in Disney World that has a Nespresso machine - and it is one of my favorite aspects of my vacation!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
We have two DeLonghi Magnifica superauto machines, so we can use one for our regular Eight Oclock Columbian beans for our morning cappuccino, and the other machine for decaf beans, so we can indulge in the evenings or make espresso for irish coffee, etc at cocktail hour. On my last ship I had one of the DeLonghi models that used the milk tank and automatically spits out steamed milk foam into the mug while the espresso is making. That was way cool but TBH I found the milk froth to be substandard and I prefer to manually steam the milk with a frothing arm. Anyway when I retired I left the milk tank machine on the ship, sold it to the Chief Engineer. I had "upgraded" from a regular Magnifica, and donated that one to the bridge so I could go up in the mornings to discuss the day's activities and objectives and weather and schedule etc with the Chief Mate (I was the Bosun) and have my ritual morning cappuccino in the company of others instead of alone in my stateroom. So I actually left two machines behind.

The two DeLonghis here at the house are both over three years old. One was on my small boat when I lived aboard so it is really at least 5 years old. Still not ready for a rebuild. I do descale regularly. They have both served me well and were worth the money. If you catch a sale online you can often find these machines for around $500. Full price is around $650 or so? Anyway yeah it is a complex bit of engineering, but none of its parts have let me down. The grinder works nicely. The boiler heats up quickly and does a great job of steaming milk. The espresso comes out just the way I want it. The shot is very customizable. I don't have to pack and tamp a portafilter... machine grinds the right amount of beans and automatically goes through all the steps to make espresso (or regular coffee, as you prefer) and then goes through an abbreviated self clean cycle.

We deep clean weekly and descale when the little red light comes on. I use vinegar instead of those special descaling solutions. Oh no! The HUMANITY!!!!! Well, necessity was the mother of invention. I was at sea without the special magic $7.00 solution so I got a pint of vinegar from the Steward and ran it. The sky didn't fall. The Earth didn't split open or fly out of its orbit. The machine did not blow up or melt down. I have been using it ever since.

The only disadvantage to the super is that there are beans in the grinder that cannot be easily removed. If you want to switch to a different bean, you have to make a shot to clear the grinder so that it can now use the new bean. There is provision for loading ground coffee, but I like to let the machine do the grinding. Oh and for some, this would be a con. Flavored beans will gum up the grinder.

Coffee snobs will turn their nose up at superautos. They are not difficult enough. They are too convenient. Espresso must be a PITA to make, or it is no good. And you won't find even a used one for under $200 so maybe out of reach for a poor student or a fast food service technician or a part time walmart greeter. The uber rich should never have to make their own espresso or even know what sort of machine they have. For the rest of us, the Magnifica line works quite well.

A good manual machine costs nearly as much. The pure manual pull-the-handle types, cost more. Pay more. Work harder. Get the same espresso. Meh. I am glad I am not a coffee snob and do not have to keep up appearances.

Top Bottom