What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This looked and felt really interesting. Went to a new market this weekend and found this. I liked the looks and hand feel of this 7” hone. It is crud covered but I seen a diamond under the funk. Popped it out of it wood house and HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER, YEAH BABY!!! Enough of its label to prove Provenance, and is that a dual band I see under the crud. It will get some delicate cleaning, but a yellow/green has been rescued

33EEC6DF-DD60-4294-ACDA-345CE4E62923.jpeg
505587F3-4CA1-4C4E-A83E-CBF4B23EA6F6.jpeg
68E35296-FA3C-40FD-BA18-E25293EEF6F1.jpeg
68690F01-3304-41FF-A976-C341E3335A69.jpeg

This looked and felt really interesting. Went to a new market this weekend and found this. I liked the looks and hand feel of this 7” hone. It is crud covered but I seen a diamond under the funk. Popped it out of it wood house and HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER, YEAH BABY!!! Enough of its label to prove Provenance, and is that a dual band I see under the crud. It will get some delicate cleaning, but a yellow/green has been rescued

View attachment 1327619View attachment 1327620View attachment 1327621View attachment 1327622
Nice find!

Last edited:
I won what looks to be a little Thuri type thing on ebay the other day for the princely sum of eight Great British Pounds. You couldn't read the wording on the label in the pictures, but apparently the brand is: 'Goldfi(n)ch Wetzstein'. Anybody come across that before?

It's fairly wee at about 4x1, and hopefully the bottom side hasn't been used because the top is somewhat chipped and dished, but I thought worth a punt at the price...

Screenshot 2021-10-15 034952.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-15 143443.jpg

Legion

Staff member
"Fox
I won what looks to be a little Thuri type thing on ebay the other day for the princely sum of eight Great British Pounds. You couldn't read the wording on the label in the pictures, but apparently the brand is: 'Goldfi(n)ch Wetzstein'. Anybody come across that before?

It's fairly wee at about 4x1, and hopefully the bottom side hasn't been used because the top is somewhat chipped and dished, but I thought worth a punt at the price...

View attachment 1345776

View attachment 1345775
"Fox" razor hone.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker

Ta! Reading up a bit about these this afternoon - it sounds like I've lucked onto something good and slightly niche, which I'm rather pleased about :).

(Albeit not a Thuri).

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Ta! Reading up a bit about these this afternoon - it sounds like I've lucked onto something good and slightly niche, which I'm rather pleased about :).

(Albeit not a Thuri).
Not a thuri but still a neat stone to have. They are fairly rare these days. A good stone to have in the pile.

1/8" short of a full 10". Nice box, unfortunately the rubbing stone is gone.
Early AM the color had me puzzled a bit but once the sun came out, it's a light green based on side to side comparison to labeled specimens. It's funny how specially the yellow green stones suddenly pop in direct sunlight.

m1imZ725RLim1xzLbhGoWg.jpg

May I ask a question...

I got this recently, which I am pretty certain is a little Thuri, it's 5.5 x 2, and this picture shows it damp:

IMG-3520.JPG

This picture otoh shows it dry:

IMG-3592.JPG

The dark bits are not part of the stone, it's because previously it was being used with oil. The actual colour is the lighter bits, it's grey-green, doesn't have any blue/yellow/other in it to my eye.

I've been washing it with warm soapy water and made gradual progress in cleaning, but it's been pretty bloody gradual, so I was wondering if I can put it in degreaser? Or whether better just to continue with soapy water...

Also - I get the feeling the box is original, rather than made by a previous owner, could be wrong but that's my hunch. Anybody else seen a Thuri with this type of box? They usually seem to be hinged at the end, rather than the side...

IMG-3527.jpg

May I ask a question...

I got this recently, which I am pretty certain is a little Thuri, it's 5.5 x 2, and this picture shows it damp:

View attachment 1362041

This picture otoh shows it dry:

View attachment 1362043

The dark bits are not part of the stone, it's because previously it was being used with oil. The actual colour is the lighter bits, it's grey-green, doesn't have any blue/yellow/other in it to my eye.

I've been washing it with warm soapy water and made gradual progress in cleaning, but it's been pretty bloody gradual, so I was wondering if I can put it in degreaser? Or whether better just to continue with soapy water...

Also - I get the feeling the box is original, rather than made by a previous owner, could be wrong but that's my hunch. Anybody else seen a Thuri with this type of box? They usually seem to be hinged at the end, rather than the side...

View attachment 1362048
I don't have an answer but I almost bought a slate/ box nearly identical to that. How does it hone? I might go back.

Top Bottom