What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The restoration of a Hohenzollern Abziehstein is complete. Stone lapped into honing condition. It was harder than other Y/G stones that I have, was not expecting that. Cut a matching rub stone to make a set. Removed the label and mounted the paper under Lexan in its new walnut house that it will live in. Overall a stone I am lucky to be the caretaker of and preserved to last the next 100 years

58A46F63-1DD9-4FBD-B6FC-3AFCAACDE69F.jpeg
B790D8B5-9150-4EAC-9C25-61B8392CC2F4.jpeg
2E40E0DC-DAFC-464F-94F5-F20661987663.jpeg

I bought this earlier today, i wonder if i got it from someone from here. They're was 1 other bidder and it was pretty cheap. Anybody know about this mfg/exporter? Ive never used any german slates, or jnats for that matter. The label inside of it looks familiar and very well could be something i grew up seeing in my grandmother's house. Screenshot_20210810-231052_eBay.jpg20210810_231224.jpg

I bought this earlier today, i wonder if i got it from someone from here. They're was 1 other bidder and it was pretty cheap. Anybody know about this mfg/exporter? Ive never used any german slates, or jnats for that matter. The label inside of it looks familiar and very well could be something i grew up seeing in my grandmother's house. View attachment 1309962View attachment 1309963

I was the other bidder. Did you bid on the 5x2 hone he had too?

That
I did end up making an offer on this one. Got for a good price and it looks to be in great shape.
Was going to be my back up if i lost. I was going to offer $80, probably pay $90, i was hoping. Im excited to try thuris. I like to hone in hand with small stones, it becomes like a challenge to use smaller and smaller hones. These are my travel coticules, i like this size.
20210811_135549.jpg

That

Was going to be my back up if i lost. I was going to offer $80, probably pay $90, i was hoping. Im excited to try thuris. I like to hone in hand with small stones, it becomes like a challenge to use smaller and smaller hones. These are my travel coticules, i like this size.
View attachment 1310264

I gave less than what your offer would have been. Not a lot more than what you paid for the one you won.

Stronge came in. It was really dished, very obviously not a show piece and was well loved. Got it lapped, couldn't get it out of the box without destroying it. I did a little minor box repair. The feedback is different than I imagined, i thought itd be more glassy like a trans ark or surgical black. Gets a razor sharp and does awsome before la lune but not as great after. I think i'll go coti>thuri>lune>ark and see what kind of magic that makes. Now for the science.

Stronge came in. It was really dished, very obviously not a show piece and was well loved. Got it lapped, couldn't get it out of the box without destroying it. I did a little minor box repair. The feedback is different than I imagined, i thought itd be more glassy like a trans ark or surgical black. Gets a razor sharp and does awsome before la lune but not as great after. I think i'll go coti>thuri>lune>ark and see what kind of magic that makes. Now for the science.

I’m surprised by that. Normally a thuri will enhance most coticule edges.

I got the other stone from the same seller. Definitely wasn’t a razor hone as was touted

I was able to get the stone free from the box without much fanfare. Trying to hone with it in the box was a bit of a pita but doeable. What I didn’t want to do is ruin the box or the label with water.

Lapped the back side just to clean it up.
3BD1FC10-C50A-4866-8B8C-FC8995C24671.jpeg

I was able to get the stone free from the box without much fanfare. Trying to hone with it in the box was a bit of a pita but doeable. What I didn’t want to do is ruin the box or the label with water.

Lapped the back side just to clean it up.
View attachment 1312832
Beautiful! I wish i could get mine out without destroying the box but i don't think that is happening. If you figure out any cool tricks left me know!

Beautiful! I wish i could get mine out without destroying the box but i don't think that is happening. If you figure out any cool tricks left me know!

Check if the piece of wood at the end with the latch on it is loose at all, often they’re easily removed by sliding a razor or Stanley blade around the edges and parting it from the sides and lifting out,
Allows a thin blade (I use a butter knife) to slide under the stone and the glue will usually separate.
Same if one of the sides on the base is loose
Depending on the brand the glues vary from very easily parted, to nigh on impossible without wrecking the box

Check if the piece of wood at the end with the latch on it is loose at all, often they’re easily removed by sliding a razor or Stanley blade around the edges and parting it from the sides and lifting out,
Allows a thin blade (I use a butter knife) to slide under the stone and the glue will usually separate.
Same if one of the sides on the base is loose
Depending on the brand the glues vary from very easily parted, to nigh on impossible without wrecking the box
Both of the ends come off easily, tried a utility blade underneath the bottom of the box cracked the entire length but is quite secure to the bottom of the stone. I'll probably have to destroy the bottom of the box then remount it to another piece of wood. I was just going to wait until ive used ita little more and sure i want to keep it.

Top Bottom