What's new

Escher stone?

I found this in a antique store for $2. It measures 7" x 1.5" x 3/4".
The pictures are after being lapped with a Norton lapping stone. As it sits right now it seems smoother then any of my barber hones or my Naniwa 12k.
I plan on cleaning it up some more with some sand paper, I am not sure what it is but it sure looks like it will be a nice finisher

I found an Escher stone at a gun show and was so giddy to pick it up but then I found out that the only way to guarantee it's an Escher is to have the label. And I wasn't going to drop $150 on a blind buy and run my razors over them.

Would not want to rain on your parade, but it looks like one of Chinese 12K variations. Still a great deal for $2!

I found this in a antique store for $2. It measures 7" x 1.5" x 3/4".
The pictures are after being lapped with a Norton lapping stone. As it sits right now it seems smoother then any of my barber hones or my Naniwa 12k.
I plan on cleaning it up some more with some sand paper, I am not sure what it is but it sure looks like it will be a nice finisher

Would not want to rain on your parade, but it looks like one of Chinese 12K variations. Still a great deal for $2!
The slurry when lapping doesn't look like the two Chinese 12K's I have, its thicker with more of clay looking color

I'm convinced enough that it's a thuringian to pay you $50 for it, and I currently have ~35 thuringians in my possession including 2 eschers, and have handled maybe another 12 on top of that.

If that tells you anything.

I've not seen a 7x1.5 Escher with a makers mark before, (as yours has), so I doubt it's an Escher.

Last edited:
Now you have to lap your Norton lapping stone, which is no longer flat. The Norton lapping stone is not to be used with any other kind of stone.

You are a bit late to rain on it: The guess it was C12K was invalidated after the owner pointed out that the stone produces clay-like slurry. Whatever it is, $2 is a great deal!

Not to rain on your parade, but that does not look like a C12k - it looks like a Thuringian.

Top Bottom