What's new

Esbjerg Shaving Cream Review

Just as another opinion: I have been using the Grapefruit Shaving Cream for about 2 weeks now. It is extremely high quality and one of the nicest new creams I have tried in a while. You really don't even need aftershave products with this one. It is really closer in quality and performance to some of the creams in the over $50 range, which makes it a real bargain to me. The only shortcoming is that the scent isn't very strong or long lasting, but that is due to the use of essential oils versus artificial scents.

I haven't compared with TOBS Grapefruit, but I find this to be a classy composition. Super lather, and a nice, on-the-money grapefruit fragrance. Bought this via the Esbjerg website, got fine service. Classy all around.

I haven't compared with TOBS Grapefruit, but I find this to be a classy composition. Super lather, and a nice, on-the-money grapefruit fragrance. Bought this via the Esbjerg website, got fine service. Classy all around.
Agreed Esbjerg is a fantastic company to deal with.

I purchased the Verbena cream and Sensitive gel from SRD and was not as impressed as others. The cream performed ok but would not hold up to more than one pass of the razor. The cream was easy to lather but I totally disliked the smell. It reminded me of a very soapy household cleaner with a hint of "lemon". Pretty disgusting actually. After I was finished shaving, the cream left my face on the dry side as well. The list on the label shows an interesting combination of oils that should have been more moisturizing than it was. I did like the fact the company uses strictly natural ingredients and maybe this should be considered a good performer given that fact. Overall, i was disappointed. This cream will now go to the back of my shelf.

The Sensitive Aftershave Gel was very respectable. There is a "scent" to it and it is very mild yet nice. The gel was not at all moisturizing so I would recommend it as a summer time use. Otherwise my face felt "tight" and soothed. Overall, a very good performer.

I wanted to like the cream and unfortunately found it to be an under achiever to the likes of AdP,SMN, Xpec,(and the others listed above).

Didn't think you'd reply to my initial post (might want to edit as it makes your review really long).

Sorry to hear you didn't like it, as with everything YMMV. I always follow my shave with a balm as I naturally have dry skin, but I didn't feel like my skin was dried out. Odd that you couldn't get more than one pass out of it, maybe try loading it more heavily?

Glad to hear another persons input though, and I won't be buying the Verbana when I empty my tub :lol:

I was happy to see the review of Esbjerg as well, thanks!, and I agree with op that it's a very good performer.
I also agree with Wincav about the disappointment of the verbena scent, as far as "scent".
SRD was out of stock with the Esbjerg Verbena over a month ago when I ordered and it just arrived last week. I also ordered the Esbjerg ASB in verbena. I was hoping for a verbena scent as found in the L'Occitaine and Mistral soaps and bath gels, which both my spouse and I like.
But as Wincav states, the Esberg scent wasn't as "outdoorsy" fresh as the bath soaps, rather more chemically, like your dishwasher soap...a little disappointing.
I'll use mine up however, as both the cream and balm feel great on the skin and seem very nourishing. Also, the scent isn't so strong that it lingers, in fact the balm scent disappears immediately upon application.
I think it's an excellent product, save for the specific Verbena scent.

Prof. Moriarty:

I need to clarify to you. I did not mean to diminish the value of your well written review. I was just adding my thoughts as I experienced. Please continue to do the wonderful write-ups on various products as I certainly enjoy them.

(btw- I am very UN technical and am not sure how to edit the review as I posted it or how I should have "replied" in the first place. Sorry. Any advice will be well received.

Thanks

Last edited:
Prof. Moriarty:

I need to clarify to you. I did not mean to diminish the value of your well written review. I was just adding my thoughts as I experienced. Please continue to do the wonderful write-ups on various products as I certainly enjoy them.

(btw- I am very UN technical and am not sure how to edit the review as I posted it or how I should have "replied" in the first place. Sorry. Any advice will be well received.

Thanks

Wincav,

I completely understand, and did not mean to give off the impression that you were criticising my review (and sorry if I did). I am happy to hear other peoples opinions, good and bad. Glad you liked the review though :biggrin1:

If you hit edit on your post, next to reply, and just delete the quote stuff it should go away.

Last edited:
This cream (the Verbena variety) is among my favourite creams.

Unlike some of the others here, I absolutely adore the Verbena scent!
The scent does indeed disappear quickly but I don't see that as an issue, while I shave I get good whiffs of the scent.
And the scent of the aftershave balm (or is it a milk I have ?) does last long enough for me :)

It lathers well for me, maybe I need a bit more than my benchmark cream Castle Forbes to do 3 full passes but I haven't actually measured. And the conditioning effect is very good imo.

Last edited:
Came across this cream while searching for another on SRD, then found this review. Besides Grapefruit, SRD is also carrying Esbjerg Verbena and Sensitive creams. The description states that "All Esbjerg natural cosmetic products are dermatologically tested and are free of PEGs, mineral oils and silicones. They are free of parabens, phenoxyethanol, as well as treatment from radioactive irradiation", for those concerned about such things.

:blink: LOL, yeah but the gel does contain THREE other preservatives :
Na-benzoate,
K-sorbate and
Na-sulfite
I don't remember having seen sulfites in any cosmetic product and the non-radiation claim is just like claims that a toothpaste is "sugar-free" or oranges are "low sodium" (I am not kidding - I have seen this in a Whole Foods store !) .

A lot of marketing BS that is playing with customers who are not knowledgeable enough to look through all that smoke and mirrors.

Top Bottom