What's new

Erskine 3103 info?

I've been thinking of purchasing a US-made brush, and ran across a listing for an Erskine 3103. Does anyone have any info on this model? such as...

What is the knot material? It is not labeled with "Badger" or "Nylon" so I'm guessing it is a boar.
Any guesses as to the years this model was produced?
Is there any way to tell from the photos if this is a re-knot or original?

Thanks for any info you could provide.
erskine1.jpg
erskine2.jpg

The archive of the Old School Shaving Brushes website shows several examples of the 3103 in various handle colors, though they're all of that exact style. To me they're pretty clearly banded boar knots. Besides that, badger was a premium product in this era and like most manufacturers Erskine called it out in the handle stamp when they used it, so I'd expect the lack of such comment on this one means it is a boar.

TBH I've had a couple different vintage brushes and invariably found the knots not equal to my expectations for regular use. All I can say is give it a thorough cleaning and a few lathers and see how it works out for you.

I feel like it was probably made the first ten years after WW2 but unless one finds contemporary advertising it's tough to figure out.

Top Bottom