What's new

Recommendations for synthetic fan brush

I currently have a synthetic bulb brush but I face lather and was thinking that perhaps a fan (or hybrid) shape might be better for that. Since the holidays are coming up and I need to provide my wife with some gift ideas, I thought it would be good to suggest a brush. However, I am finding it difficult to actually shop for this type of brush as most sites don't specifically list the item as "fan" (or even "bulb" for that matter). And it is very hard to identify any that might be a fan from the pictures as the angles are deceptive.

So, I am hoping that y'all can give me some brands/models that would fit the bill. Note that I am only interested in synthetic, not badger, boar, or horsehair. I am also not interested in wacky handles (like from PAA), unless that is all that there really is. I have not had any experience in putting a brush together (knot and handle separate), but if it is easy, I might be willing to give that a try if nothing pre-made is available.

I really like my G5C brush from AP Shave, it's a fan. Pick your knot size (24, 26, or 28mm) and a handle (he has lots of options from simple $10 ones on up) and he'll set it for you. He has other fans as well, but I'm not familiar with all of them. He's a vendor here, PM @apshaveco and I'm sure he'd help you out, he was really helpful when I was looking at brushes early on.

I really like my G5C brush from AP Shave, it's a fan. Pick your knot size (24, 26, or 28mm) and a handle (he has lots of options from simple $10 ones on up) and he'll set it for you. He has other fans as well, but I'm not familiar with all of them. He's a vendor here, PM @apshaveco and I'm sure he'd help you out, he was really helpful when I was looking at brushes early on.
+1 on this. Love my G5C brush from @apshaveco

Echoing what others here have said, I am happy to help you navigate if you need it! Although others have done a fantastic job in pointing out the G5C, which is without a doubt a best seller.

Since I have so many knots and handles available (to the point where the possibilities are pretty much endless) it's slightly different from ordering from others in the sense that on my site, when you click on a handle there's an option to add the knot, handle, and free knot setting by me so I complete the brush for you. Let me know if you have a hard time finding that. Cheers!

I currently have a synthetic bulb brush but I face lather and was thinking that perhaps a fan (or hybrid) shape might be better for that. Since the holidays are coming up and I need to provide my wife with some gift ideas, I thought it would be good to suggest a brush. However, I am finding it difficult to actually shop for this type of brush as most sites don't specifically list the item as "fan" (or even "bulb" for that matter). And it is very hard to identify any that might be a fan from the pictures as the angles are deceptive.

So, I am hoping that y'all can give me some brands/models that would fit the bill. Note that I am only interested in synthetic, not badger, boar, or horsehair. I am also not interested in wacky handles (like from PAA), unless that is all that there really is. I have not had any experience in putting a brush together (knot and handle separate), but if it is easy, I might be willing to give that a try if nothing pre-made is available.
Its pretty easy with the help of a couple YouTube video's in assembling a brush yourself as I've put together several in my past... That said I'd look into a knot from TurnNShave or APShaveCo and you can find all kinds of handles on Etsy to set them in.

So I took a look at APShaveCo site, Shavemac, and TurnNShave.

TurnNShave is a no-go as I am looking for synthetic and also not something that will cost me a fortune.

APShaveCo, I was able to use the configuration feature, but unfortunately, I didn't see any handles that really sent me.

I was able to configure a very nice looking brush on ShaveMac using an APShaveCo G5C knot, and they are having a "Black Week" sale with 20% off until 11/24. So, I might just end up treating myself, instead of having it as a gift idea as the sale ends before the holidays, and my wife and/or other relative would most likely screw up ordering it properly. 😁

TurnNShave is a no-go as I am looking for synthetic and also not something that will cost me a fortune.
I'm thinking you weren't looking at the right TNS link as I remember buying my 3 knots for less than $15ea shipped...

26mm Timberwolf fan $15 shipped, 25mm Angelhair fan $12 shipped, 25mm Quartermoon fan $14 shipped

TNS - DC Shaving.jpg

I'm thinking you weren't looking at the right TNS link as I remember buying my 3 knots for less than $15ea shipped...
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnNShave
I went to their website which is where they are showing $300+ custom brushes. I went to their Etsy link that you posted and they don't have a lot of items available. Yes, they do have a bunch of knots listed for $10, but not the G5C, and I would still be on the hook for finding a brush to go with it and put it all together. If I can get a complete brush for a decent price, then that would be the better route for me.

Shavemac configuration with their deal and shipping comes to about $52. I think it looks nice:

1700357312639.png

"Black Peacock" pattern with a 24mm AP Shave Co G5C knot.

Might not be quite what you are looking for, but DS Cosmetics on AliExpress has a synthetic 24 mm flat top. I bought one a couple of years ago and just couldn't get into the flat top thing, so I swapped the knot for a synthetic bulb from Meggard's. I really enjoy it now.

Top Bottom