What's new

Erasmic Shave Stick

Just bought a Erasmic shave stick from Best Grooming Tools. Says made in England on their website. Did I luck out and get the old formulation that has tallow in it.

Clayton

What are the ingredients? List the first five or so and we'll let you know.

Look for stuff like "sodium tallowate" you have the tallow version.

If it is the new stuff I hope you have better luck with it than I did. Worked a brushful of that stuff over in a bowl til my arm fell off, and all I could get out of it was a little flat, foamy lather that looked exactly like the last fizzle of a squirt of cream from an empty Barbasol can.

My stick went in the trash.

I recently got two sticks of this for $4.00 ($2.00 each) from Bullgoose Shaving. I will test them out later today, and see if I can successfully lather them. For $2.00 I figured there wouldn't be much lost if I am forced to Super Lather them with Kiss My Face Unscented to make a usable product. :thumbup1:

Ok, I did two test lathers with the new formula Erasmic Shave Stick. This product is a horrible disappointment!! :thumbdown

First off, I would expect it to smell like the wonderful complex barbershop smell of the Erasmic shaving cream, but the overwhelming scent is lemon; it's very reminiscent of Arko; I don't mind the scent of Arko but that's not what I was expecting.

As for lathering, I loaded up my Omega #49 boar brush really well (for upwards of a minute), and slowly added water. I was unable to generate anything except for a very airy bubbly lather, that is totally inadequate for shaving. Try #2 was the same result.

Considering the scent that is just kind of meh, I am not sure this is even worth trying to rescue with Kiss My Face.

AVOID THIS PRODUCT AT ALL COSTS!!

Ok, I did two test lathers with the new formula Erasmic Shave Stick. This product is a horrible disappointment!! :thumbdown

First off, I would expect it to smell like the wonderful complex barbershop smell of the Erasmic shaving cream, but the overwhelming scent is lemon; it's very reminiscent of Arko; I don't mind the scent of Arko but that's not what I was expecting.

As for lathering, I loaded up my Omega #49 boar brush really well (for upwards of a minute), and slowly added water. I was unable to generate anything except for a very airy bubbly lather, that is totally inadequate for shaving. Try #2 was the same result.

Considering the scent that is just kind of meh, I am not sure this is even worth trying to rescue with Kiss My Face.

AVOID THIS PRODUCT AT ALL COSTS!!

+ infinity

I tried and tried to make lather with Erasmic -- by itself, with KMF and Headslick -- but nothing could rescue this pathetic excuse of a soap. I even milled the soap into a mug and added glycerin in hopes of salvaging it but that didn't improve things.

The only thing it was good for was getting the stink out of my Omega professional boar brush.

After all the efforts I have decided that this soap isn't worth the time, effort or space in my shave den. Off to the bin it goes!!!:angry:

I used Erasmic today and got tons of dense, slick lather. Of course it was the tallow version.:001_smile It is truly a shame what the reformulation has done to this stick, the tallow version is very nice.

Cheers,
David

I bought mine before I learned they had change the formula.

I can't bring myself to throw it away, so it sits in a pill bottle under the sink. Waiting...Watching...Wondering

:tongue_sm

I recently got two sticks of this for $4.00 ($2.00 each) from Bullgoose Shaving. I will test them out later today, and see if I can successfully lather them. For $2.00 I figured there wouldn't be much lost if I am forced to Super Lather them with Kiss My Face Unscented to make a usable product. :thumbup1:

John, is the reformulated version made in England?. Do you remember what the label on the box said. I thought the newer version was made elsewhere.

Clayton

I've had good luck with the non-tallow version. Lots of nice slick lather. I applied the stick to my wet face, then lathered up with my Omega 80097 brush. Very nice results.

I luckily have 4 sticks of the tallow version (another open and in use and one melted into a puck for brush lathering....), but may have to buy the non-tallow version to try :D LOL..... I can't get on with Erasmic cream though..... stuff just gunks up my brush....

Tom

My experience with the reformulated Erasmic is the same as John's, above. At the time, I also wrote a thead that was almost identical to his.

Another B&B'er took exception to this, said he liked the new formulation. So I sent him the Sticks that I had, and he was happy with them.

MichiganLover's take on this is about right --the reformulated Erasmic sticks are to be avoided.

-- John Gehman

I have found though my old palmolive works well in the shower so don't dump them, just re-purpose them :D

Tom

It has that Williams-esque citronella bug repellant aroma, amped up about ten times worse than Williams. Using it in the shower would turn you into a gigantic mosquito candle. :001_smile

Truth be told, the tallow version was decent, but not as good as the Palmolive or Irish Moos sticks.

The new stuff is lousy - I'd steer clear and get the excellent Palmolive stick instead.

Its odd that Erasmic reformulated, as there wouldn't seem to be the same pressure to be PC and there's certainly no royal warrant at stake!

It has that Williams-esque citronella bug repellant aroma, amped up about ten times worse than Williams. Using it in the shower would turn you into a gigantic mosquito candle. :001_smile

Hmmmm, a midge repellant person... that could be useful when fishing :D I'm off to buy some sticks :D LOL

"Suzuki: Truth be told, the tallow version was decent, but not as good as the Palmolive or Irish Moos sticks."

Palmolive is my personal least favourite, horrible thing..... :-(

Tom

Top Bottom