What's new

Enough Razors?

Totally up to you!!

I tried a ton of razors, before finding my ‘daily driver’ (Wolfman)! I also have a ‘travel’ razor that would not break my heart if lost/broken (Lord). Cleaned out the rest and I am perfectly happy! :a29:

I bought a '48-'50 Superspeed today. And I'm glad I did! Hey, at least I'm not addicted to gambling. Could be worse, I guess.

IMHO, this is one of the least expensive hobbies that you can have!! :a29:

Compare what you spend to guys into vintage cars, boats, etc....

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Let me start by strongly echoing the comments others have made regarding "do what makes sense for you" -- whether you have 1 razor or 1,000 razors, I have a great deal of respect for your choices.

I've given this question a great deal of thought myself since I entered this arena to save money and get a more comfortable shave. At this moment, I have 2 brushes (both synthetic), 4 soaps (2 sticks and 2 pucks), and 26 razors -- 4 new'ish (made within the last 2 years) and the rest vintage. Here's what drives me to pick up that next razor:
  • The different shave experience. Every time someone on this forum extols the differences -- pros and cons -- of a razor, I want to try it. I know the soap, blade and most importantly my technique will drive the experience, but the razor itself also plays an important role. And even after experiencing the differences, I like that I can continue to experience them. The Tech vs the Adjustable vs the Super Speed vs the Single Ring vs the New Improved vs the New -- they all have pros and cons that I enjoy re-experiencing depending on the day and mood.
  • The history. I like old stuff -- probably because I'm finding myself in that category now. I prefer my 60 year old hammer, my 90 year old double bit axe, my 100 year old chisel to any of the newer items at my disposal. I like that things were made to last several lifetimes, and I like continuing to provide a useful life for these tools. I'm a user-collector, not a display-collector. I also like thinking about what was going on in the world when someone else purchased and used the razor.
  • The find and restore. I recently acquired a 1908 Single Ring tossed into a black and red case at an online auction site. The pics were bad, the date given the razor was wrong, the case was obviously wrong for the razor, and the razor itself had probably not been cleaned since it had last been used many years ago. I took a chance and after some thorough but gentle restoration, I found the serial number on the barrel, straight teeth, and no cracks. I've had the same luck with a Bostonian New Improved, an old pocket type, and even my Super 109. I like taking something that's been long forgotten and bringing it back -- so most of my acquisitions are non-razor people who stumble on something at the bottom of a junk drawer or estate/garage sale and want to turn it their find into cash.
That's my rationale for collecting -- no hard and fast rules, just what seems to drive me. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

For me, this question ended up being a lot more introspective than it was probably meant to be. And I don't think I have any real answer for it. I've mostly stopped trolling the bay a while back. Now I just sort of poke around antique shops, and if I see a razor that is salvageable and cheap, I go for it. No real drive towards filling my collection or anything. I just like cleaning them up, tinkering, honing, and having them around. That being said, I don't even know offhand how many I have, umm... a couple of cigar boxes worth? If it came down to it, I could live with one straight razor and my Fatboy perfectly content. But sometimes the fun for me is in breathing new life into this old thing.

Let me start by strongly echoing the comments others have made regarding "do what makes sense for you" -- whether you have 1 razor or 1,000 razors, I have a great deal of respect for your choices.

I've given this question a great deal of thought myself since I entered this arena to save money and get a more comfortable shave. At this moment, I have 2 brushes (both synthetic), 4 soaps (2 sticks and 2 pucks), and 26 razors -- 4 new'ish (made within the last 2 years) and the rest vintage. Here's what drives me to pick up that next razor:
  • The different shave experience. Every time someone on this forum extols the differences -- pros and cons -- of a razor, I want to try it. I know the soap, blade and most importantly my technique will drive the experience, but the razor itself also plays an important role. And even after experiencing the differences, I like that I can continue to experience them. The Tech vs the Adjustable vs the Super Speed vs the Single Ring vs the New Improved vs the New -- they all have pros and cons that I enjoy re-experiencing depending on the day and mood.
  • The history. I like old stuff -- probably because I'm finding myself in that category now. I prefer my 60 year old hammer, my 90 year old double bit axe, my 100 year old chisel to any of the newer items at my disposal. I like that things were made to last several lifetimes, and I like continuing to provide a useful life for these tools. I'm a user-collector, not a display-collector. I also like thinking about what was going on in the world when someone else purchased and used the razor.
  • The find and restore. I recently acquired a 1908 Single Ring tossed into a black and red case at an online auction site. The pics were bad, the date given the razor was wrong, the case was obviously wrong for the razor, and the razor itself had probably not been cleaned since it had last been used many years ago. I took a chance and after some thorough but gentle restoration, I found the serial number on the barrel, straight teeth, and no cracks. I've had the same luck with a Bostonian New Improved, an old pocket type, and even my Super 109. I like taking something that's been long forgotten and bringing it back -- so most of my acquisitions are non-razor people who stumble on something at the bottom of a junk drawer or estate/garage sale and want to turn it their find into cash.
That's my rationale for collecting -- no hard and fast rules, just what seems to drive me. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
I enjoyed your post. Thanks for your thoughts. I will get personal here for a minute. I quit drinking on July 9th 2018 and it has been serious battle. I have alcoholics on both sides of my family and I have been drinking for 21 years. I wanted to quit before something really bad happened to me and I felt that day was getting closer and closer. This hobby has been a godsend for me! I tried AA and it wasn't helping. All these people ever talk about is drinking! I wanted life after alcohol, life 2.0, not dwelling past mistakes and all that. Focusing on a 50's superspeed vs 40's, vs a fatboy has been exactly what I needed! Being able to talk to you guys about that and watching Paul H on YouTube talk about Arko or whatever has been way more helpful than so-called "recovery" ever could be for me. It is something I can do every day. It is healthy and a practice of self care. It has been great. YOU GUYS have been great! Hooman sent me wonderful soap samples. Toothpick sent me blades. Hannah's Dad sold me a fantastic razor at an awesome price. Nobody had to do that and they did it all without having any idea what that I was battling for my health and to get my life back.

So there it is. So I guess when that sort of thing is at stake there really can't be too many razors!

I am reminded of kitchen knives. Huh? Well, I cook. It is a hobby with great dividends. Must have 25 kitchen knives. They follow me home.

How many do I need? Maybe 5 and a pair of kitchen scissors.
Ahh, but do you need poultry shears? I decided to wait until a saw a good one on sale, and I must not have been looking too hard, as that took 30 years. As for the knives, maybe 8" chef, 8" carving, 6" utility, 4" paring and 3" paring are enough. But isn't it worth having a Santoku? And a good bread knife? And a serrated utility? And ...
edit: @sharpstar90, I didn't see your post before writing mine. Congratulations on your success so far and good luck. I've lost some close friends to alcohol and drugs, so it's good to hear about someone doing well. Buying a few razors is obviously a small price to pay.

Last edited:
For me, this question ended up being a lot more introspective than it was probably meant to be. And I don't think I have any real answer for it. I've mostly stopped trolling the bay a while back. Now I just sort of poke around antique shops, and if I see a razor that is salvageable and cheap, I go for it. No real drive towards filling my collection or anything. I just like cleaning them up, tinkering, honing, and having them around. That being said, I don't even know offhand how many I have, umm... a couple of cigar boxes worth? If it came down to it, I could live with one straight razor and my Fatboy perfectly content. But sometimes the fun for me is in breathing new life into this old thing.
I feel the same way. I went so far as to spray paint the base of my red tip! I have made stands for all my razors. I made boxes for my blades. Heck, I even made labels for some of my aftershaves. I am gonna make sure my next rental has a second bathroom for my shave den. It's a fantastic hobby in itself even apart from the shaving! I love putting flitz polish on a razor. I have almost bought them just to see them shine again. I know for a fact there is a ball end old type down the street at a store that has turned almost brown. If it didnt have a ginormous crack down the handle it would be shining in my bathroom right now...

I enjoyed your post. Thanks for your thoughts. I will get personal here for a minute. I quit drinking on July 9th 2018 and it has been serious battle. I have alcoholics on both sides of my family and I have been drinking for 21 years. I wanted to quit before something really bad happened to me and I felt that day was getting closer and closer. This hobby has been a godsend for me! I tried AA and it wasn't helping. All these people ever talk about is drinking! I wanted life after alcohol, life 2.0, not dwelling past mistakes and all that. Focusing on a 50's superspeed vs 40's, vs a fatboy has been exactly what I needed! Being able to talk to you guys about that and watching Paul H on YouTube talk about Arko or whatever has been way more helpful than so-called "recovery" ever could be for me. It is something I can do every day. It is healthy and a practice of self care. It has been great. YOU GUYS have been great! Hooman sent me wonderful soap samples. Toothpick sent me blades. Hannah's Dad sold me a fantastic razor at an awesome price. Nobody had to do that and they did it all without having any idea what that I was battling for my health and to get my life back.

So there it is. So I guess when that sort of thing is at stake there really can't be too many razors!

Hey man congrats on the time under your belt! Keep your head up reach out when you need it.

Well stated. :a14:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

Sharpstar90 we have much in common, even the part about getting a great razor at a great price from Hannah's Dad -- it is one of the few in my collection that was already nicely cleaned and cared for prior to me getting my hands on it. My path to recovery has also wound it's way through this forum and our many YouTube friends. Hang tough and know that many of us out here are with you, and I truly thank you for sharing.

Sharpstar90 we have much in common, even the part about getting a great razor at a great price from Hannah's Dad -- it is one of the few in my collection that was already nicely cleaned and cared for prior to me getting my hands on it. My path to recovery has also wound it's way through this forum and our many YouTube friends. Hang tough and know that many of us out here are with you, and I truly thank you for sharing.
Thank you @Flintstone65! What a coincidence! Hannah's Dad is a great guy and he did the same exact thing for me. There are so many caring people here and I am glad to call you one of them as well. Things have been harder lately because I am a student working in a level 1 trauma center. I have seen things few have outside a crime scene or the Coliseum in ancient Rome. If it weren't for this hobby and Heavy Metal I might have gone back to my old ways. But I know it's a rickety rope bridge outside the temple of doom and I would probably fall on my way back. So I am trying to get stronger, physically and mentally. You all are a big help in my day to day struggle.

Thank you @Flintstone65! What a coincidence! Hannah's Dad is a great guy and he did the same exact thing for me. There are so many caring people here and I am glad to call you one of them as well. Things have been harder lately because I am a student working in a level 1 trauma center. I have seen things few have outside a crime scene or the Coliseum in ancient Rome. If it weren't for this hobby and Heavy Metal I might have gone back to my old ways. But I know it's a rickety rope bridge outside the temple of doom and I would probably fall on my way back. So I am trying to get stronger, physically and mentally. You all are a big help in my day to day struggle.
I should have said I also have friends who have led sober, happy and productive lives for decades after their alcohol problems (I'm probably a lot older than you) and at least in some cases, hobbies such as nature photography have been a great help. But nature photography brings mosquito bites and sunburn, so this hobby is far better for your skin. I say, skip the mosquito bites and enjoy your razors.

I should have said I also have friends who have led sober, happy and productive lives for decades after their alcohol problems (I'm probably a lot older than you) and at least in some cases, hobbies such as nature photography have been a great help. But nature photography brings mosquito bites and sunburn, so this hobby is far better for your skin. I say, skip the mosquito bites and enjoy your razors.
Great advice! I did some photography back in the day, mostly cemeteries. I love film but I more or less gave it up once it became impossible to develope outside the house. I love my razors as much as my cameras!

Hey, guys

Like many of you, I love collecting razors. I have ten so far. But lately I have been thinking that getting another is going to be an act of frivolous spending.

I think ten is about the maximum number of razors that I could possibly make use of in a rotation. Any more and I feel like they would collect dust; each one seeing less and less use as time goes on. How many razors do you guys consider to be "enough"?

Some people collect stamps, some coins, etc. Me, I collect razors.

As a tool, 10 is more than enough. As a collectible, OTOH, the sky or the budget is the limit.

When I first began shaving with safety razors (or rather returned to them -- learned to shave with one many years ago and then abandoned it, as did everyone else, when the Atra came out), bought up everything I could get my hands on. Collecting razors and other shaving stuff became an obsession for a time. Have no idea how many I've got. Also have a bunch of brushes, soaps, creams, scuttles.

At some point the madness lifted. Honestly, I have razors that have been sitting in a can for years now waiting to be cleaned. I have an antique shaving cabinet (my grandfather's) filled with my favorites. Funny thing is I use just one. A Futur set to six. I've got a drawer filled with blades but for the last four or five years I've been shaving with Dorcos, which frankly suck, but someone PIFed 'em to me and I'm going to use them up. (Probably over half way there).

I shave in the shower without any cream or soap. Just hot water. So all my shaving stuff just sits. Feels rather silly to have accumulated all that.

There's just one razor I'd still like to get. A slant of some sort. But I'm not all that motivated as I've placed no effort into finding one. After my initial euphoria of rediscovering this way of shaving, it's now just what I do. Probably began close to 8 years ago now and tonight is my first night back on BaB in probably 6 years.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
IMHO, this is one of the least expensive hobbies that you can have!! :a29:

Compare what you spend to guys into vintage cars, boats, etc....

Tell me about it. I started collecting razors to ween me off of a massive guitar collecting habit. It did work. The guitar collection is shrinking. And I can fit about a hundred razors in the amount of space taken up by just one guitar, not to mention the cost differential.

Tell me about it. I started collecting razors to ween me off of a massive guitar collecting habit. It did work. The guitar collection is shrinking. And I can fit about a hundred razors in the amount of space taken up by just one guitar, not to mention the cost differential.

Precisely!!

Now, how can I explain this cost saving hobby to LOTH?? :a29:

Top Bottom