What's new

Enchiladas

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What's the difference between an Enchilada and a Burrito?

Yes, I have to ask my wife EVERY time, and I never remember and she gets ticked off that I'm so dense....

It doesn't really matter, since I like 'em both...

I haven't made normal enchiladas in a long time. I just make enchilada lasagna instead: layers of tortillas, filling, cheese, and sauce in a casserole dish. I try to use Hatch brand sauce when I can get it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I haven't made normal enchiladas in a long time. I just make enchilada lasagna instead: layers of tortillas, filling, cheese, and sauce in a casserole dish. I try to use Hatch brand sauce when I can get it.
Oh....that sounds delicious!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I make them all the usual ways, but a favorite quick dinner is stacked using Hatch green for chicken and Hatch red for beef. I love to top them with fried eggs. Well seasoned ground beef, HEB's Velveeta clone, and Hatch red are a darned close approximation of local restaurant Tex-Mex, but to come close on green sauce, either tomatillo or green chili, taking the time for home made is required. Diana Kennedy's tomatillo sauce is surprisingly quick and easy.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I make a yam, black bean and kale version. my Son is vegetarian and this is a fave of his.

Attachments

• 15F5D97D-0BA4-4E7C-B510-C3121765AB13.jpeg
    15F5D97D-0BA4-4E7C-B510-C3121765AB13.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Fry the corn tortillas until they are firm, dip them in a simple sauce made from chili powder, flour, onions, and Spanish Gardens taco seasoning. layer them with shredded cheddar and diced onions. repeat until you have the desired number in the stack bake at 375 until everything is melted enjoy. This was a recipe my mom got in the early sixties from a neighbor in Bakersfield California. I didn't know there other kinds of enchiladas until I was a teenager.
8899898-jpg.1208429

Top Bottom