What's new

Ellis definitely is The Man!

Hi Bill,I see you have a plasma cutter,I tried using one once . I couldn`t cut a straight line if I tried .
Nice work mate
kind regards Peter
PS do you use silver nitrate for your engraving

Very nice razor, I really like the "wharncliff" shape. Filework is nicely done too. Burl wood always is winner.

I WANT ONE!

Pure, refined excellence. Mr. Ellis has found, in my opinion, that line that exists between sheer functionality and fine art, and treads it softly but with great finesse and skill. No smilies or thumbs-ups on this one, it is way, way beyond that. One does not stand in front of a Rembrandt or Titian and jump up and down!

One of these days I might be able to treat myself to one of these masterpieces!

I have recently become interested in straight razors and had heard and seen Bill Ellis' name, I knew that he made straights. What I did not know is that he makes art as well! Those are the most beautiful razors that I have ever seen, not that I have seen that many. But, just from looking at those two, I do know that he very much loves what he does and DAMN does it show. If I were to have one of those, I don't know if I could bring myself to use it. Mr. Ellis' work is just stunning! By the way the alternating wheat pattern is, at least to me, very reminiscent of the Frank Lloyd Wright wheat patterns. :ouch1: :ouch1: :ouch1:

What a gorgeous razor!

Stu, I knew you would love it and I'm very glad you were able to purchase it. My Ellis razors have truly spoiled me, and now all my other razors have been stored away.

And thank you very, very much for your considerate PM alerting me to this available piece. Without your PM, I'd still be searching!

Well, honestly, I'll continue to search and buy an Ellis anytime one's available new or used, but at least my search is less frantic now that I own one!:wink:

I shaved a 2-3 day growth again tonight and again......flawless, BBS, pain-free shave with such a great overall design that even my one-handed shaving technique couldn't be easier.

I want to try one of Bill's Cigar shaped blades, but this blade design is absolutely perfect from an ergonomics/balance standpoint.

Did the box come with it?

I keep looking at Bill's web site and thinking that some day I will own either one of his customs or at least one of his regrinds. They look so nice.

Hi Sully,
Yes, the box came with this particular razor. It was an upcharge item that Bill offered while a friend of his was making them.

It's a gorgeous display box. I doubt I'll use it often, but it's a nice piece to own.

It's my understanding that the gentleman who was making them has moved on to other things so Bill no longer has access to them.

I have both an Ellis/Wapi regrind hybrid and now one of his full customs.

The hybrid is a great shaver and has lot's of Bill's touches. They are one of the best values if not *the* best value in the straight world, but if you come across one of his full customs.......they are a meaningful step up.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
attachment.php

ah Bill, that's just how Zeepk sells them ... why do all the extra work?? :001_rolle

(But seriously folks ... you can talk all day about how superlative Bill's razors are ... and from what I hear (not owning one yet :blushing:) that's accurate ... but for me where Bill's razors really are in a class of their own is in the etching work ... I know of no one out there who is anywhere in the same class in that regard. I've seen some TI razors with some file work on the spine that's pretty nice ... until you see an Ellis effort.)

B R A N D X®;1056277 said:
I have both an Ellis/Wapi regrind hybrid and now one of his full customs.

The hybrid is a great shaver and has lot's of Bill's touches. They are one of the best values if not *the* best value in the straight world, but if you come across one of his full customs.......they are a meaningful step up.

Thanks for the comparison.

(But seriously folks ... you can talk all day about how superlative Bill's razors are ... and from what I hear (not owning one yet :blushing:) that's accurate ... but for me where Bill's razors really are in a class of their own is in the etching work ... I know of no one out there who is anywhere in the same class in that regard. I've seen some TI razors with some file work on the spine that's pretty nice ... until you see an Ellis effort.)

Agreed. There are a few other folks, not many, out there who know how to make a well balanced, aesthetically pleasing razor that shaves great, but I have yet to come across *anyone* else who does Bill's level of etch work.....at least on a straight razor.

That's why I'm now already pining away for one with his running wheat pattern. Some day..................

Stu...be specific about how it shaves?

Nice work by Bill. Nicccccccccccccce.

I don't know how to describe it really other than to say.......effortlessly!

But I'll try:

The blade shape and overall balance of blade and scales makes finding the perfect grip effortless. The razor feels like it's a part of my hand.

It glides effortlessly (there's that word again) across even a week old short beard and while it gives nice feedback in terms of that whisker whacking sound we all know so well, you never feel a thing......no tug, scrape or pull.

Like many of us who are relatively new to straight razor use (I've been at it now for maybe 8 months) I have had some degree of difficulty getting a shave as close as I can with a good DE with any previous straight I've owned and have always had the most difficulty in two areas 1) closeness in certain areas.......my chin....in general....and jawline.....and 2) in using a one-handed technique.......shaving the right side of my face with my right hand has been a bit awkward with most other razors except my Zowada which is also perfectly balanced with a great blade/tang shape.

I've frequently found myself reaching for my Futur DE for a final J-Hook pass even after a three pass straight shave in order to get the BBS shave I'm going for. This works, but is *a lot* of shaving and tends to leave my face slightly raw for a few hours.

With this Elis razor I'm doing two passes.....WTG, ATG and then touch-up work around my jawline and chin only, where the stubble is the most stubborn and coarse and then......I'm done and have achieved BBS perfection.

So to sum up, fewer passes needed for BBS shave results, zero irritation, perfect balance, effortless grip and gorgeous to behold.

A bit wordy, but I hope that answers your question.

I am so ridiculously green with envy. Bill's work is by far the most impressive work on a straight I've seen. I want one so badly! Congrats BRANDX!!!

Stu,

What an amazing razor. I missed being the new owner by just a few minutes. :cursing:

Your pictures make it look even nicer than it did in the for sale post and I'm sorry it is not mine. I bet you will enjoy it for many years to come. As for me, I'll just keep looking and hoping...

I really want an Ellis!

Top Bottom