What's new

Edwin Jagger to Rockwell 6s

I just bought a Rockwell 6s that have been shipped today. My daily driver is the Edwin Jagger with the short handle. I was wondering what will be the base plate that you'll used if you were going from the ED to the rockwell?

I think I'm going to be more "scientist" with this razor that my ED. I want to feel the difference between each plate and have a more in deep knowledge of the 6s. I was thinking using the same blade, same soap during my progress. I'm hesitating between Astra SP or GSB for the blade, not sure now, and for the soap I have chiseled face trade winds and Fine american blade coming in that I'll try both before choosing one.
I was thinking using a new blade in my ED before going in with the 6s to see if the blade is fine and doing this process before changing to the next base plate on the 6s, but with the same base plate before going to the next.
I'm also considering using two blades with each base plate before going to the next. This will help me understand if a base plate is eating more a blade than the others one. For example, i'm going to shave with a new blade on sunday, starting with the 6s on monday for two blades. I generally have 4-5 shaves per blades, so this is going to be about 2 weeks per plate as I shaved 5-6 times a week. If the 2 blades died fast with one base plate, I think I'm going back to my ED just to keep a regular pattern with the 6s.

This is probably way over kill, but I think this'll be fun to do. I'll try to keep log of this and keep you posted. I'll try it to do it for the saving part and also to improve my English since this is my second language.

Suggest you start with plate 2. You will likely move on to plate 3 quickly. You may stop at 4.

Every new razor is a bit of a challenge.

Have fun!

I started with the 4 plate and quickly moved up to the 6. Its my daily shaver now. I don't really make a science project of it though. I just do whatever feels good.

This is probably way over kill, but I think this'll be fun to do. I'll try to keep log of this and keep you posted. I'll try it to do it for the saving part and also to improve my English since this is my second language.

It's not overkill if it's fun for you to do! And it sounds like an interesting experiment. I'll look forward to your posts.

Regarding the Edwin Jagger question, I'd say the Rockwell 3 or 4 plate would be equivalent.

My two favorite razors. EJ seems to be between plate 3 and 4 for me. My daily shave with Rockwell is plate 3 for smooth and easy shave. Plate 4 if I miss a couple of days.

I just bought a Rockwell 6s that have been shipped today. My daily driver is the Edwin Jagger with the short handle. I was wondering what will be the base plate that you'll used if you were going from the ED to the rockwell?

I think I'm going to be more "scientist" with this razor that my ED. I want to feel the difference between each plate and have a more in deep knowledge of the 6s. I was thinking using the same blade, same soap during my progress. I'm hesitating between Astra SP or GSB for the blade, not sure now, and for the soap I have chiseled face trade winds and Fine american blade coming in that I'll try both before choosing one.
I was thinking using a new blade in my ED before going in with the 6s to see if the blade is fine and doing this process before changing to the next base plate on the 6s, but with the same base plate before going to the next.
I'm also considering using two blades with each base plate before going to the next. This will help me understand if a base plate is eating more a blade than the others one. For example, i'm going to shave with a new blade on sunday, starting with the 6s on monday for two blades. I generally have 4-5 shaves per blades, so this is going to be about 2 weeks per plate as I shaved 5-6 times a week. If the 2 blades died fast with one base plate, I think I'm going back to my ED just to keep a regular pattern with the 6s.

I don't have an EJ to compare but with the 6s I can use plate 2, 3 or 4 and get great shaves. 4 is rapidly becoming a top go-to due to its increased efficiency, while 2 and 3 maximize comfort. I started with 3 predominantly, tried 2 and found that one just as effective and for the past two weeks have been using 4 as a daily driver with excellent results.

This razor is by far the most efficient, easy going and smooth I've ever used (I use Kai blades in it exclusively now). Once you've had a few shaves with it let us know your impressions. :thumbup:

Don't know if anyone else does this, but I actually switch plates for the different parts of my face. When shaving daily at least, I'll use the six for my face and four for the neck.

Having both the DE89 and 6C, the closest plate IMO would be 2. The blades you mentioned will be a YMMV. I am partial to the Astra's myself, however been 'rocking' some lab blues in the rockwell.

It will take some time to figure out what works best, but that's the fun part!! Keep a journal when you start so that you can review what you have used and what worked best for you.

Top Bottom