What's new

Educate an old guy on injector razors please

I have been shaving for going on 5 decades now. I have many DE's and several SE's and have even dabbled a bit with straight edges but I have never used an injector razor. I want to get a couple but I am pretty ignorant about them in general. If it helps I like the Gillette NEW for its aggressiveness and it's shorter handle. I've been doing this a long time so I am pretty good at adjusting technique to fit the requirements of the blade and razor. I do like those butterscotch handles on some of the photos of injectors I have seen on the forum and would really like to find a great piece. Any advice on which model or brand to buy would be appreciated. I would also appreciate some idea of what an excellent to mint injector might cost me. I hate ebay so if anyone has one that they are willing to sell just let me know. Thanks. I am sure that with the group we have here I'll be shaving with one in no time.:001_smile

Hi Dave, I am an old guy also and use my injectors on a weekly basis with one exception. My wife nabbed my Paul Revere injector and loves it. The injectors are very simple to use, were invented in the 30's for ease of use so that you did not have to handle a double edge blade. You just insert the injector blade into the injector handle and it shoves the old blade out and into the trash can that I hold it over when changing blades. It has a compact head which is easy to use around the nose and mouth area and even when I shave with my Fatboy, toggle, Futur, etc. I still use one of my injectors for the nose area many times because it is easy and efficient. There are several selections of injectors and several are very popular like the Schick Adjustable, Easy Rider, Stick Shick, and the "butterscotch" ones that you mentioned. The blades are easy to find and usually a little more than the DE's but a fraction of the new multiple blade cartridges. Good luck. Doug

Got here late, Sledgy posted nearly word for word what I would have said. I'll add that I like the PAL Injectomatic as well. The PAL Adjustable is a bigger, heavier razor. The "L" types are pretty mild. As stated above, injectors are nimble, easy to use shavers.

And I love them.

So there.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Those old injectors can be pretty aggressive. I prefer the newer, smoother ones, but if you like a New, you will probably be happy with an old bakelite handled injector.

As for using them, if you can't figure out how to shave with an injector, you probably can't use anything else, either.

I've been going back and forth between an eversharp (like the ones with the "butterscotch" handles), and a type M dial adjustable. If I were to pick one over the other, I'd select the type M. Yes, a bit more pricey, but I do like adjustables and I find that the handle is easy to work with and the heft (being much heavier than the eversharp) is better for me.
Hope it helps,
-- Chet

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So far my best shaves of any razor have been with the older E and G model Injectors and if you are selective, can get them pretty cheap on the bay. My first one came in a grungy lot of mixed razors, Gillettes, GEMs and others. Unfortunately there was only one Schick in the mix.

I'll agree with some of the other posters. The E and G models, I think will suit you best. I haven't tried an M so I can't comment on it. The Old Type, New and MMOC or Clogpruf are some of my favorite shavers and for what it's worth the Schick 66 ranks right up there with them as far as shave quality. In fact I just used it today with a rebranded ASR blade for an easy as pie BBS shave. For me the I and J types just don't offer enough blade exposure.

I have got to get on the web with my Schick and ID it. My first razor was the old "Stick Schick" with the gear shift knob on the end. Threw it away at some point in my life.
On the east coast, Wegman's has injectors. A little pricey, but one of these mornings, I'm going to fire it up.

My only experience is with an adjustable, and i'm still not sold on it. Even at full throttle it takes me multiple passes to get a good shave. I'm forever waiting on BST for a more aggressive model. Wish i knew what happened to all the type Os here in Japan though! We can still buy blades but no sign of the razors here!

Top Bottom