What's new

Editing software.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone use GIMP? It's free and should cover more than I need for my level of experience. But I've never used anything except what came with Windows 8.1.

cannot say I have. what do you want to do? basic cropping?
what camera do you use, that opens different options for you

All depends on your needs/requirements.

Photoshop has been my go to for decades but Ulead licensed us to give away one of their products.

What are your requirements.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
cannot say I have. what do you want to do? basic cropping?
what camera do you use, that opens different options for you

Want to sharpen and enhance color and clarity in pics. I'm using a Nikon D3400 kit with the 18-55 lens and have a Tamron 18-400 lens on the way.

I'm still learning about luminosity, layering, and masking. I need to learn more of the basics before I even try to use photoshop or something that you need to pay for. I can do cropping, brightness, saturation, etc. in the little thing in Windows Photos that comes with 8.1 OS. I also have an Imgur account.

In other words I'm wanting to enhance photos to make them "pop" as much as I can right now.

I'm not investing a ton of money in camera equipment...I'm looking at more to composing the subject, using the location, learning more about lighting, and other basics. There are good subjects around here to shoot without scouting locations. There were two Kingfishers perched on the fence rail by the pond for a few hours this morning. They usually swoop down, spear a fish, then bring it back to the fence and beat it senseless before swallowing it.

Then there are deer, coyotes, some longhorns in a pasture a bit from here, and other such subjects.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I took this of some wood storks from the front porch a few days ago. I took a few more before they spooked, but I wanted to see if my shutter speed setting would freeze the wings in motion.

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

I'd like to get some that look as good as this one from the net of one of the Kingfishers.

proxy.php

I have been using Photoshop Elements for years and it has covered most of my needs. I recently figured that maybe it was time for an upgrade and I tried Photoshop (for a month) as I thought the shift would be quite easy since it was the same company, but I think Photoshop has quite a learning curve, the two programmes are actually very different, at least in the user-setup.
I had tried GIMP years ago, and I didn't find it logical with a steep learning curve as well, but it look like the learning curve for both programmes are identical (for me), so I have turned more towards learning using GIMP.
I think Photoshop and Elements has the best spot healing tool of any editing programme I have used, but there are features in GIMP I find better than PS.
So for me it will be Elements for quick/simple editing and GIMP for more advanced features (e.g. stacking or tricky panoramas)

I don't like subscription based programmes, and that is another reason I have chosen not to get PS, Elements can be bought as a stand-alone.
There are also other options to PS, a company called Skylum has both PS and Lightroom equivalents and searching around there will be more.

For quick editing there is a another free programme called PhotoScape - and it is not just an photo editing tool it can edit video, make montages, combine photos, make animated gifs, convert RAW's and some other stuff. I find it to be very logical/intuitive and easy to use.

Picasa from GOOGLE is a free-ware photo editor I use. It's pretty simply made and can't do some things compared to some other programmes, but its easy to use and serves my needs.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In other words I'm wanting to enhance photos to make them "pop" as much as I can right now.

The best tools for that are Adobe CS5 with the Google Nik plugin pack.

Homepage - Nik Collection by DxO

I've used multiple versions of Jasc PaintShop Pro and Animation shop, Adobe Photoshop 7.0 with Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, GIMP and ACDSee v.3.1 through v12. I still use ACDSee 3.1 and I started with it on Windows 98 lol.

My main program now is CS5 with that plugin pack. CS5 is complex but fairly straight forward and there are a lot of tutorials out there for instructions on doing many things from the basics to advanced. I think of myself as a basic user and I use CS5 only because of the Google Nik package.

For making things 'pop' I've not found a better set of software.

Here are two pictures. The first one untouched from my Canon 10MP SD1200IS auto cam.

before.jpg

After using only the Viveza plugin.

after.jpg

CS5 with Google Nik plugin pack and the plugin used.

CS5-Google Nik.jpg

The Viveza plugin.

Viveza.jpg

In that picture above I first increased contrast, increased saturation and increased Structure (sharpness) for the entire picture. Structure is what makes the finer details stand out more, like the ice on the horizon.

The white dots are Control Points. Each control points size can be adjusted and within each Control Point, you have the same options as you do for the picture itself while only adjusting whatever area of the picture you set the control points size too.

In the control point top right, I increased the brightness and colour saturation and decreased the contrast. The control point top left I decreased brightness, increased contrast and increased saturation again. The control point bottom right by the sun I decreased brightness and increased contrast and saturation. All control points encompass roughly 1/4-1/6 of the picture.

Adjusting that picture takes all of about 30 seconds once you done it a time or two. CS5 with that plugin pack is an extremely powerful tool and your options are extensive.

Its not as intimidating as it might appear either. I learned it just by clicking around and seeing what does what. I'm not sure I could live without it now.

Heres the picture you posted above.

Before.

DSC_0002 (2)before.JPG

After.

DSC_0002 (2)after.JPG

The main picture below in Viveza and with several control points adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation and structure in a few different places.

after_02.JPG

Last edited:
I've used GIMP some, and think it's at least as good as other image manipulation software I've seen. That said, I don't think there's a "magic" program that lets us do precisely what we want without to skill in that direction. From experience, I know that it's easy to do to images what that lady did restoring that painting of Jesus some years ago. If some people "got it" and some "don't got it," I fall in the "don't got it" category.

Anyway, all of these programs have a learning curve and their own way of doing things that makes it hard to compare. I think GIMP has the tools, so it's not rinky-dink software. The price is certainly right, so you can always try it and see if you like it. If not, you're not out any money.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This one?

16C69161-79C0-41A2-AC34-38BE47F75752.jpeg
I've used GIMP some, and think it's at least as good as other image manipulation software I've seen. That said, I don't think there's a "magic" program that lets us do precisely what we want without to skill in that direction. From experience, I know that it's easy to do to images what that lady did restoring that painting of Jesus some years ago. If some people "got it" and some "don't got it," I fall in the "don't got it" category.

Anyway, all of these programs have a learning curve and their own way of doing things that makes it hard to compare. I think GIMP has the tools, so it's not rinky-dink software. The price is certainly right, so you can always try it and see if you like it. If not, you're not out any money.

I'm perfectly happy with Gimp, for basic photo cropping and enhancing.
The tool I use most is Levels, and moving the middle slider around to bring out shadow details in scans of old B&W photos without bleaching out the highlights.

I use the GIMP for most of my photo and image editing needs, although photos are usually converted from raw files using Photivo first.

Nowadays, there are plenty of tutorials and videos available online. There are some books to help out, although some might be dated now.
What I'd suggest is really trying all the tools on a couple of photos just to explore what they can do and then trying to combine them.
Layers and masking is going to be a powerful ally in many cases even with some minor edits to help them remain natural looking.

Ok based on what you said, you can go with a couple of freebies, Picasa as mentioned above, and since you are shooting Nikon, NiewNX2, download from Hikon : ViewNX 2 from Nikon
if you want a good tool that is standalone, Amazon still has lightroom6, which i have, and is far more than you need fopr now. the nice thing about lightroom is that you can get plug in filters. LR6 is $149. i would be curious if we have any canadian friend in finding out how much it is north of the border...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok based on what you said, you can go with a couple of freebies, Picasa as mentioned above, and since you are shooting Nikon, NiewNX2, download from Hikon : ViewNX 2 from Nikon
if you want a good tool that is standalone, Amazon still has lightroom6, which i have, and is far more than you need fopr now. the nice thing about lightroom is that you can get plug in filters. LR6 is $149. i would be curious if we have any canadian friend in finding out how much it is north of the border...
Thanks for the info on LR6.

$204.95 cdn at Amazon.ca, today's conversion rate puts that at $157.11 usd then shipping to the states?

Know nothing about this retailer, they say $187 cdn but see nothing regarding shipping.
65237578 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom V.6.0 - Gamercan.com

dave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using PaintShop Pro (PSP) for years. Recently upgraded from X4 Pro to 2019 Pro Ultimate which can be had for around $30. Agree above about the Nik Collection. The free Google Nik collection package can still be found online to download at FileHippo here: (DxO Nik Collection 1.2.15). I too find favor with the Viveza Nik plugin. I also have the bundled Perfectly Clear SE 3.0 plus both Harry's Filters and PhotoFreebies from The Plugin Site installed in my PSP. Photoshop plugins bviously work in PSP. :)

Don't do much in RAW these days. That said I have an old version of Silkypix Developers Studio that was bundled with my LX3, as well as the more recent Corel Aftershot 3 which was part of the PSP Ultimate package.

I remain happy with my Panasonic LX3 and even older FX-01. :)

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar with the Nik Collection, here are descriptions:

The Nik plugins include seven filter categories:

Analog Efex Pro 2: The Analog Efex Pro filters simulate different kinds of lenses and camera types.
Color Efex Pro 4: The Color Efex pro filters offer excellent options for retouching photos. In particular, its contrast filters provide a means of taking underexposed or overexposed photos to the next level.
Silver Efex Pro 2: If you enjoy black-and-white pictures, the Silver Efex Pro filters are for you. The Silver Efex Pro filters can increase the perceived depth of your photos.
Viveza 2: The Viveza plugin can target specific areas within a photograph for layer masks. The filters can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, and other elements. In particular, the Viveza filters can help a lot of textures stand out, similar to Adobe’s AltaLux filter.
HDR Efex Pro 2: HDF Efex Pro can improve contrast and other elements that are normally not particularly visible in the original picture. It specializes in HDR photos, although it works on other kinds of photos as well.
Sharpener Pro 3: This plugin can improve otherwise unobserved details in photos. It compares favorably to the AltaLux plugin (which is really good).
Dfine: This plugin for reducing the presence of noise in underexposed photos or when the ISO setting falls too low. There are other plugins with similar functionality, but for many, Dfine offers the best results.

Top Bottom