What's new

Eagle G2 or G3

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A limited number of Eagle G3's in 3 band Super were released on the Simpsons' site sometime this week. Traditional ivory handle. There are still a few Manchurian G3's in faux ruby and ebony there as well. They've also dropped some synthetic M7's in tortoise. They've marked the price on the M7 synth down significantly from what it has cost for previous LE releases. If I didn't already have two M7 synths I'd jump on it. The combination of the Simpsons 'synthetic bristle' and the longer handle make the M7 the closest thing to perfection I've ever seen in a synthetic brush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Is the Manchurian knot that much better than Super to be worth $100 more? Curious minds want to know.
My experience of three band super grade Simpson brushes is that they have very soft tips but very little backbone or scrub. I ended up selling mine. Simpson Manchurian again has soft tips although some can have some scritch, but there is much more backbone and scrub. The shafts of Manchurian hair are much thicker than Super which is a finer hair. For my preference Simpson Best grade is far superior to Super and has more in common with Manchurian than Super. This is assuming you get a good example of Best grade. To answer your question, for me the extra price is well worth it, certainly when compared to Super. 👍

I'm thinking about a G3 in pure and a G3 in Manchurian. I haven't been able to find a pure stateside, any idea how much shipping is from The Isle Of Man?

Owen Bawn

I'm thinking about a G3 in pure and a G3 in Manchurian. I haven't been able to find a pure stateside, any idea how much shipping is from The Isle Of Man?
You can get an Eagle G3 in Pure from West Coast Shaving, Maggards, or The Superior Shave, all reputable vendors. You can probably get one on Amazon, for that matter. A G2 is not so easy to find in the US, however. And the only place you'll find ANY Simpson in Manchurian is from the Mother Ship in the Isle of Man, as far as I know. Shipping from Man to the USA is usually around $12, as I recall. Usually takes about 8-14 days. Let us know what you decide to do!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Is the Manchurian knot that much better than Super to be worth $100 more? Curious minds want to know.
Personally, I did not care for the three band super that Simpson offers. I sold my CH3 Super three band, but I have two Manchurians and I like them both (M6 and T3). Then hair is totally different than the Super, it is thicker and stiffer.
If you are lucky, you may find an older two-band super, I am lucky to have a Polo in it, and this hair is very much like Shavemac two-band silvertip. I also own a vintage Rover in Pure, and it is very nice, I do not know how the modern Pure is, so I cannot be much of help - but the old pure is very nice.

View attachment 1190611Not to hijack the thread but I will try out my G3 Pure tomorrow.
7B9D256D-76C2-41E2-86D8-88E772832CC1.jpeg

You can't hijack a thread about Eagles by posting a photo of a brand new Eagle! Looks great- let us know how you like it. I used an Eagle G3 Pure this morning. Perfect density, terrific scrub, revitalizing feel.
Does the hair always look like this? I was expecting a more uniform dark color like this Pure Shavemac.
400584E7-A5FB-4AB0-8F4D-8FEB2898BD11.jpeg

7994F23B-1782-4E3A-BA5A-14356C7A0C19.jpeg

Pre:-
Razor: Prewar Gold Tech
Blade: 7 o’clock SharpEdge yellow 1st use
Brush: Simpson Eagle G3 Pure 1st use
Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rum
Result: DFS

First use was very nice. It is not as dense and scrubby as my Zenith 506A Gold Manchu but it has a very nice backbone and good scrub. If there is some scritch I was not able to detect it. From a start I like it a bit more than my Captain 2 in Best which is softer in the tips but with less backbone. So if you like some scrub try out the Pure! Simpson Manchurian is now the only quality left on my wishlist.

Owen Bawn

If you use Simpsons' Pure solely as a paintbrush you really won't feel much prickle. It's when you mash it to your face and rotate it that you get the little pokes. I don't mind that feeling, myself.

Pure hair is underrated. If the prickle doesn't bother you, the lathering ability is unbeatable. I miss the vintage pures which were better sorted to minimize prickle. I've got one really nice vintage pure with chubby density and no prickle... It's a great brush.

Top Bottom