What's new

Eagle G2 or G3

I have a Chubby 1. It's ok but I find the hand a bit small, and the bulb a bit pointy. Is the Eagle G2 handle much larger versus the Chubby 1? The Eagle G3 is another option. As long as they are different from the Chubby 1.

Eagle 3 knot is the size of a Duke 3 (slightly smaller even) and the handle is slightly bigger but more ergonomic than a Duke. Unless you want a smaller brush, go for the Eagle 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad, he's right. I was thinking the Eagles I owned in the past were G1's, they weren't. They were G3's. Go G3.

The Eagle G3 (Best) is basically a Chubby 1 knot in a different handle.

My experience is with the G3 LE special order run that we had done in 2010 (That was with Best hair). I thought at the time (and still do) that they literally just stuck Chubby 1 Best grade knots in the G3 handle for us.

I eventually sold that brush after I had a custom handle made by an artisan to replicate the G3 and stuck a Chubby 1 Super three band knot in it.

AFAIK, the only options right now are two band super (~$300) and Pure... but maybe Simpson does custom ones in Best? I haven't kept up with what is available direct from them.

Last edited:
Simpson has Limited Edition 2-Band and Manchurian G3's available. Occasionally they have LE's in Best. I have one.

If you're curious read up on Simpson Pure. Deserted Island Brushes right here.
g2s-jpeg.1081557

Last edited:
Simpson has Limited Edition 2-Band and Manchurian G3's available. Occasionally they have LE's in Best. I have one.

If you're curious read up on Simpson Pure. Deserted Island Brushes right here.
g2s-jpeg.1081557

Lovely brushes!! One day I will get an Eagle, most likely one of the LEs. :clap: :clap:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a G3 Eagle in Best, from the B&B Group Buy years ago. I have a lot of brushes but that knot is out of this world.

Yeah, those brushes were incredible. I still can't believe they didn't add that brush to the standard lineup after seeing how amazing those turned out.

Simpson spits out LE G3's on a fairly regular basis. There's a couple right now. So yeah, a fella can get what they want with a little patience.

I would much rather see a LE G2 made specifically for face lathering to my liking lol! 22x45 bulb in Best (maybe 2-Band) and not one single mm taller. I'd probably buy two.

No detectable glue bump at all or it's getting boxed up and shipped right back to the Isle of Man. And the bulb better be shavemac-esque quality and shape. Kind of like the knot on the right in the above pic. The one on the left has a big flat spot in it. It shaves so good I had to keep it. But really...

Don't really care about handle color but something flashy would be interesting. Except Disco and other clownish schemes. LIME! RUBY! SUNSPOT ORANGE!

Honestly I like my G3 Pure better than the LE G3 in Best. Better performer for hard soaps, more backbone and scrub, just more fun to use. Probably would be the same with a G2 in Best vs Pure but like to try one anyway.

Last edited:
I haven't tried an Eagle pure, though I am curious. My concern is Simpson tends to adjust density based on the hairs backbone... and as such I'd expect the pure is a lot less dense than the Best ones are.

I haven't tried an Eagle pure, though I am curious. My concern is Simpson tends to adjust density based on the hairs backbone... and as such I'd expect the pure is a lot less dense than the Best ones are.

I gladly yield to your expertise on that matter but it makes sense. I'll see if I can grab a shot of the G3's knots and post it up for examination.

Once on a journey to learn about brush hair a Classic 2 (aka Chubby 0.5) hit home. Eventually moved it along. I do not cotton to thieves much, even if only a lather thief. Fun brush but stingy, mean little thing with lather. On the positive side I can cross Chubby's off the list of must haves. Density meh...

I'd appreciate that, thank you.

Me personally, I'm a density addict. Soap's cheap and most of the cost in it is packaging and shipping. I can make myself top-notch soap for a few bucks a kilo. Nothing improves my shave like a dense knot being used to face lather up before it. It's my alternative to the hassle of a hot towel before every shave.

I bought one of the G3 two bands they have on sale now and have used it for a month, and it’s pretty great. I like it better than the Duke 3, and it might me my favorite brush now besides the M7.

It’s the perfect size for face lathering but can bowl lather just fine, and the two band hair is the best at whipping up another fast compared to all the other grades of Simpson hair (I have them all).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. The best does look denser, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. I may have to try a G1 pure.

Pure by Simpson and shavemac is my favorite hair. Any of these is going have some prickle to them which I want but it's not for everybody.

For whatever reason both Simpson G2's have less prickle than the 1 or 3. I suspect it's becasue they see much more use and are well broke in. Each is a fun brush to shave with.

shavemac's Pure seems a slightly better grade of hair and seems to have less prickle to it. shavemac's configurator doesn't allow a 2:1 ratio or even a mm or two off so you must ask for a lower loft if you desire one, also if you want a denser brush you'll have to discuss that with the maker too. If I was to order another shavemac it would have the parameters of the dream G2 above.

Last edited:
The 2 Band is sold - Manchurians are available but that is way way out of my budget. I'll wait for a run in Best.

Top Bottom