What's new

dutch oven on the way

cant wait.:tongue_sm

i think i will build a small rocket stove out of bricks in the yard. ...or,,,,, should i dig a pit, and cover it?

if anyone has any good recipes, feel free to share.:thumbup1:

Try a chuck roast sauté some onions celery carrots sear the roast then add a few cloves of garlic two cups wine or beer roast in a 290 oven for three -4 hrs lightly salt but pepper to taste maybe some mustard powder half a tsp add potatoes at 2.5 hrs enjoy a fall apart delicious meal.

What kind of Dutch oven did you get?

Used mine tonight for chicken-potato-cauliflower curry. It also sees use for stews, gumbo, soups and roasts.

Jbaca's recipe sounds good!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's what's great about a dutch oven...it's a do-all piece of cookware. Depending on what you're cooking you can use heat from bottom only, put coals on bottom and coals on top (assuming that you have an outdoor oven with the three legs on bottom and flange around the lid), turn the lid upside down over the fire and use it as a skillet, bury it with coals, and even use it as a dish tub to wash dishes. If you have the indoor oven (no legs and a domed lid) you can use it on the stove top or put it in the regular oven to bake/roast at about 350.

A neat little cookbook I have is the World Championship Dutch Oven Cookbook. One of my favorite recipes in it is the stuffed cornnish game hens.

Wash and stuff 4 game hens with your favorite stuffing. Place stuffed hens on a rack in a 12" Dutch oven. Baste with your favorite basting sauce or glaze. Add a small amount of warm water. Place Dutch oven on hot coals and cook from bottom only for 15-20 minutes. Add coals to top and cook for approximately 40-45 minutes or until game hens are fully cooked and golden brown. If hens are browning too quickly, remove some or all of the coals from top of oven and cook from bottom only. While cooking, remove lid and baste frequently. For a complete meal add carrots, potatoes, onion, cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms around hens.

It always turns out fantastic.

An organization you might look into is the IDOS. There are recipes in the website's forum section.

Edit:
i think i will build a small rocket stove out of bricks in the yard. ...or,,,,, should i dig a pit, and cover it?

I bought a cheap, about $20, charcoal grill at wally world just to use with my dutch ovens. I take the grid out and light the coals on the bottom of the grill, then when they are ready I put the right amount on the bottom and top of the oven. This gets the black pot off of the ground where it's easier to work with.

Last edited:
Servus!

What would I do without my Dutch ovens?

I have a couple of really great recipes that are good when you have a bunch of hungry people coming over. These have come from friends so I take NO credit...

[FONT=&amp]Italian Sausages with Onions and Peppers[/FONT]

4 lbs. sweet Italian sausages (you can use regular bratwurst if you can’t get Italian sausages)
5 cloves garlic finely minced
2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1tsp. kosher salt
(Optional – 2 tbs. ground green fennel seeds if you use regular bratwurst)
2 large white onions
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, green)

Pre-brown the sausages in a pan or in the lid.
Cut the onions and the peppers so you will get long strips.
Combine all ingredients in a 12" Dutch oven and stir to mix.

Place lid on oven and bake using 6-8 briquettes bottom and 12-14 briquettes top for at least 2 hours.
Stir occasionally to make sure that nothing is burning.

Serve on hoagie rolls with a cold beer.

Tip: the leftovers make a great sauce with pasta the next day.
Another tip: DO NOT wait to clean out your DO as the tomato sauce is acidic and will remove your seasoning if left in too long (voice of experience here…)

[FONT=&amp]Schichtfleisch[/FONT]

Translated from German, this means "layered meat". You will call it "delicious", I guarantee!

5-6 lbs. of boneless pork steaks – make sure they are good and marbled
6-8 large white onions
2 lbs. thick-cut bacon
Bottle of favorite barbecue sauce

Rub of your choice (I use Raichlen’s Basic Barbecue Rub found here)

Lay your 12” DO on its side for this….

Combine the pork steaks and a generous amount of rub in a plastic bag and shake well, coating everything.
Slice the onions but do not break them apart. Leave them as full or half round slices.

Stack the DO so:

Meat
Onions
Bacon

Repeat until full. Pack in as much as you realistically can. Leftover bacon goes on top. Drizzle BBQ sauce over the top (not too much!) and then give either a shot of your favorite bourbon or 1/3 cup of water. Use the bourbon, trust me…
Place lid on oven and bake using 9 briquettes bottom and 18 briquettes top for at least 2 hours.

Serve on hard rolls.

Hope you try these out and please take photos!

this is great! just what i was after. you guys have great taste in food!

it is an outdoor, with the legs under it. has been shipped. still waiting.

What size DO did you get? I seem to find myself using my 10 inch the most.

If you haven't already seen something similar, here's some basics on temp. control...and other stuff.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

oh, excellent! that will come in handy for sure.

Tuck into the red wine braised short ribs from Bon Appetit.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/10/red-wine-braised-short-ribs

I have made these in the pressure cooker a half dozen times, but in the dutch oven, I'm sure they're the biz. You'll want some buttery mashed potatoes, too. Just sayin'.

this looks awesome! thank you.

i put together some bricks for a small rocket stove outside. DO is a 12" i think.

the original one was never shipped, so i bought a smaller one.

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks like some great stuff!

How did the rocket stove do? I'm wondering if it would put out too much heat on the bottom for baking stuff like bread and things like that.

What happened with your 12 inch one that wasn't shipped, and did ya get a 10 inch one...it looks like.

On your gonch hook, and I have one exactly like yours...I use a pair of pliers (channel locks held upside down) and a heavy leather glove to move the lid...less chance of spilling the coals. I've been thinking about getting one of these that hold the lid better, just for the hell of it, but the pliers have worked well for years.

http://mrdutchoven.com/Products/ca021.htm

Just a thought...a good set of channel locks work real well.

Last edited:
it was an issue with them having one left, then it turns out that wasn't even true. out of stock. 3 weeks before any more available. and this was like a month after i ordered it. so i just bought a 4 quart. it's all i need. the other was a 12 or something. it would have been over kill.

the rocket stove worked out very well. i had 3 bricketts below and more around the base of the oven, several on top and twigs added pretty much everywhere. i added the sticks because i thought it wouldn't get hot enough for long enough. boy was i wrong.

i was cooking a pork loin with apple slices placed in cuts i made across the top of the loin. 5/6 bacon strips across top of that. salt ~ pepper to taste, and that was it. i believe the "boiling" was a combination of bacon fat and moisture from the apple slices?
the end result was an incredibly juicy and tender loin with a hint of bacon flavor. (bacon flavored pork.. can you beat that?)

if your cooking bread, i would just ease up on the fire. little to no sticks. just stick with coals for a more consistent heat.

i think im going to like this dutch oven cooking. going to some good eating around the campsites from now on.

Top Bottom