What's new

Duplicate pistol

Rarely have I purchased a second/duplicate pistol. Been contemplating doing so for a particular model.

How about you, do you have any duplicates and what is the reason you choose to get a second/duplicate pistol?

The only duplicate pistol I’ve ever bought is the Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 for my girlfriend to share the stage with my Glock 19 Gen 3. Fifteen round mag here in Colorado is the best I can legally do. A Glock17 Longslide MOS or Glock 34 MOS either if legal would have been my first choice.

Reactions: ctr
I had 3 P220's at one time, only because I like them. I still have 1 that I'll never part with.

I have multiple 1911's at this time, probably will have more eventually. Although not exact, they are mostly the same, I can carry any of them and not think about which one.

For that matter, that's why I stick with Glock. I have multiple of them also, not the same model or caliber but when I carry any of them, they feel the same.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have multiple 1911’s. I also have 2 S&W M&P 9mm but one is full sized and the other is a compact model. Same controls etc just different size barrel and frame. I’m thinking about getting a 3rd (another full size) M&P but in .45. I’m looking at one in Dark Earth so I’ll be able to easily tell it apart from the 9mm model.

The only duplicate pistol I’ve ever bought is the Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 for my girlfriend to share the stage with my Glock 19 Gen 3. Fifteen round mag here in Colorado is the best I can legally do. A Glock17 Longslide MOS or Glock 34 MOS either if legal would have been my first choice.
Years ago, I had two SIG Sauer P220 .45's. I think the reason was that I got a deal on one of them after already buying the other one. I wish I still had them but I used to trade/swap/buy/sell constantly back in the Eighties and early Nineties and they both disappeared into the ether for ... well ... something. I don't remember what!:biggrin1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have two 1911s, a series 70 type Springfield Armory and a series 80 Colt, just because. While I believe that having duplicate defensive pistols is a great idea, one for training and one for carry, I have not made that investment. I have a few different pistols that I carry and having duplicates of each would not be financially feasible for me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have multiple 1911’s. I also have 2 S&W M&P 9mm but one is full sized and the other is a compact model. Same controls etc just different size barrel and frame. I’m thinking about getting a 3rd (another full size) M&P but in .45. I’m looking at one in Dark Earth so I’ll be able to easily tell it apart from the 9mm model.

One of the most accurate and enjoyable pistols I have ever shot was the S&W M&P .45.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have duplicates of nearly everything one for me and one for the wife. Function of arms and duplication of caliber reasons.

OkieStubble

I have two 1911s, a series 70 type Springfield Armory and a series 80 Colt, just because. While I believe that having duplicate defensive pistols is a great idea, one for training and one for carry, I have not made that investment. I have a few different pistols that I carry and having duplicates of each would not be financially feasible for me.

This is my thinking also. Plus, if ima gunna get a different gun? I want something new and different? :)

Carbon-copies of a few, sights to mag release. You always know what you're picking up, it handles the same as the original.

:cool1: I can shoot anyone's Glock. I shoot mine faster & more accurately because it is optimized for me. Not everyone has the same criteria.

That's great. 🙂👍

I'm comfortable knowing that I can hit center mass with anyone's Glock, M&P, 1911, or snubbie, which is my criteria.

If were talking competition shooting, the criteria might change, so I guess it's all about the context and situation.

OkieStubble

Most semi auto striker fired pistols have a trigger and slide stop. Their shapes may be slightly different in design because of brand differences, but a Sig’s flat trigger, pulls to the rear just like Glocks or S&W’s M&P’s curved trigger.

Their slide stops are in the same place at the left side top of the frame and they function the same. It’s all the same manual of arms which we all have engrained into our DNA by now.

If you’re new to all firearms? Then learn and train the manual of arms into your DNA as we have. If you’re experienced but just new to a certain pistol? Then it’s just a case of becoming familiar with the handling of your new pistol, not an issue with manual of arms. Brand or particular pistol familiarity isn’t the same thing as manual of arms.

I’ve never handled a HK P7 squeeze cocker in my life, but because I’m an experienced gun enthusiast who has knowledge of it’s ‘manual of arms’, I can guarantee that I can pick it up for the very first time and run it with no problems.

But if I want to begin carrying it every day? I would need to become familiar with it’s particular intricacies in order to become comfortable carrying it. But that wouldn’t take long? :)

I got my first 1911 a couple of years ago. I’ve handled others 1911’s over the years and was familiar with its manual of arms. But I made sure after I got my own, I didn’t just load up and start carrying it. I put myself thru a constant familiarization process from carrying it with dummy rounds at home, to firing and familiarizing myself with it under fire at the range before I carried it. And this familiarization wasn’t a one and done. It was dozens of times before I started carrying it cocked & locked and it’s been dozens of times since I started carrying it cocked & locked. Heck, I may just break out the leather gear and strap it on over my pajama pants and practice with the dummy rounds right now.

This thread has put me in the mood. ;)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
One of the most accurate and enjoyable pistols I have ever shot was the S&W M&P .45.
I handled an S&W 45 M&P for the very first time last fall ... so impressed with its' ergonomics, without ever firing it, I ordered a LEO trade-in. Oh yea, accurate & enjoyable are understatements. And speaking of S&Ws, I finally saw my first S&W M&P9 M2.0 Metal last weekend & it felt as good in the hand as it looked - it is a handsome pistol!

I’ve never handled a HK P7 squeeze cocker in my life, but because I’m an experienced gun enthusiast who has knowledge of it’s ‘manual of arms’, I can guarantee that I can pick it up for the very first time and run it with no problems.

But if I want to begin carrying it every day? I would need to become familiar with it’s particular intricacies in order to become comfortable carrying it. But that wouldn’t take long? :)
The only things you need to know about those P7s is that your hand will burn & fall off if you fire more than two magazines & secondly, you'll need double hernia surgery if you carry one with regularity ... just ask anyone who has never fired one! 😜
All funning aside & in regards to its' manual of arms, after making the decision to carry one, I trained with a P7-carrying friend & instructor. On the drive to our first range session, he says to me, "Each time you reach to unholster that pistol today, I want to hear you audibly say, "Squeeze Me, Please Me"! Naturally, I laughed ... he didn't. Twentysome-years later and I still whisper, Squeeze Me, Please Me whenever I'm handling, shooting or carrying one.

Top Bottom