What's new

Drug Store Platinum

I see a lot of talk here about blades. It would seem that Feather is considered the go-to blade for many.

Just starting out I have been using a platinum coated blade in my Futur purchased at my local drug store as that's about all that is available around here locally.

They seem to do an alright job so I just have to ask if there's really that big a difference bewteen those and some of these other blades? I'm curious to try the Feather blades, and probably will so I know that will pretty much answer the question for me, but I still have to ask.

I don't mind spending a little extra for something that's actually better, but I am interested if they really are that much better.

Mason,

Don't know. The drug store brand blades at almost all drugstores are made by the Personna Company (American Safety Razor or something like that might also appear). The good thing, for you especially, is that if you like them, you can get the same blade at almost any drugstore. Some people like them, some hate them.

I find there is a pretty big difference between blades. Not sure that any one is universally better, so much as one may be a lot better for you. It seems to be a personal thing.

As for price, if you find one you like, you can order pretty much any choice in bulk, and spend less than you pay at the drug store (Merkur might be the exception here?).

Suggest trying them all, and seeing whether you like anything else better. A chap who posts here sells sampler packs containing either five or ten blades each of the five major blades that are popular. His name is John, and he goes by Letterk. Send him a PM and inquire.

The unfortunate part is there is no "better" blade for everyone. If that was the case this would be easy.... All you'd see would be "Buy these blades, they're better!" :biggrin:

Instead you see sample packs like letterk's, etc...

The reason for this is simple, there are LOTS of combinations... Some combinations "open the safe" and many others don't come close.

First you have the razor to blade relationship. All blades work differently in different razors. Some razors work great with one blade type, and crappy with another, while another razor may be completely opposite.

On top of that you have your face thrown into the mix as well. Everyone's face is different, some faces are more sensitive then others, some beards more corse then others, etc... In that light, certain blade types work better with certain faces and beards then others...

Combine them all together and you've got tons of combinations that will drastically vary your shave experience.

That's why the only real answer to your question is, YES, different blades can make a big difference, and the only way to really see this for yourself, and more importantly, the only way to find which blades work best for you is to try them all! :eek:

With that said, work on technique first. For now you won't know if it's the blade that made the difference or an improvement in your technique. Get your technique down pretty well, THEN start switching out blades and see what you find works best. By then you'll have NO problem telling the difference in different blades!

Moses: Thanks for the info. I was already thinking that it may be a personal preference thing. I'll keep the bulk order idea in mind when and if I find one I prefer.

rusirius said:
With that said, work on technique first. For now you won't know if it's the blade that made the difference or an improvement in your technique. Get your technique down pretty well, THEN start switching out blades and see what you find works best. By then you'll have NO problem telling the difference in different blades!
Everything you said here makes perfect sense to me. I'll stick with my cheapo drug store blades until I master the technique.

Top Bottom