What's new

Drinking the bottom shelf

To me - bottom shelf has the connotation of inferior. Or should I interpret bottom shelf as an acceptable spirit that is inexpensive?

To me - bottom shelf has the connotation of inferior. Or should I interpret bottom shelf as an acceptable spirit that is inexpensive?

"Bottom shelf" means "inexpensive." Some bottom shelf products are inferior, some not so much. Some are surprisingly good.

When you go to a liquor store or bar, the inexpensive spirits are usually placed on the lower display shelves. The more expensive bottles are above them.

Wouldn't call Weller Antique bottom shelf. Bottom shelf bourbon is stuff like Jim beam White label, Old Crow, and Kentucky Deluxe.

I thought this thread was more for the value vs good to bad. The price puts it on the bottom shelf, the taste does not reflect the price though.

Great bottom shelfer---Mellow Corn, Heaven Hill's Corn whiskey selection for $9.99! bargain and great summer whiskey on the rocks...same(ish) mashbill as Dickel, from what I understand...Dickel 8 and 12 are also great value whiskey's...Fighting **** Bourbon for $15 also quite drinkable...

I'll drink Gordon's gin in a Tonic for sure, but my martini's need to be up higher on the shelf, but I am no snob, would start with Tanqueray, Beefeaters or the exceptionally priced Bluecoat.

Drinking from the Bottom shelf means finding the hidden Values, imho...

Bottom or lower shelf drams which are a good value because they taste good neat:

Scotch:
* Scoresby - a bit of peat but still appealing to everyone I've shared with.

Bourbon
* Colonel Lee Bourbon from Total Wine - this is somewhat lacking in depth of flavor but it compensates in smoothness. The 750 ml is a giveaway and the 1.75 is a deal and a half. If not sure - I'd suggest starting with the 750. They may even have 50 ml tasters.

* Old Granddad

Former tipples:
* Early Times - just doesn't do it for me anymore. I don't know if it's a variation in quality or evolution of taste.
* Old Crow - I'm ashamed to have shared that.

Must not let this thread die. This is important stuff.

Vodka: Wolfschmidts (cheaper than dirt and triple distilled)
Gin: Booth's (95 proof for that extra bang and cheap)
Scotch Whisky: Grants or Black and White
Bourbon: Rebel Yell (if it's good enough for Ketih Richards and Billy Idol it's good enough for me)
American Whiskey: Imperial (no bad wedding reception is set without the Imp)
Irish Whiskey: Paddy's (Irish has gone way up in price but Paddy's is still a great value for the price)

Top Bottom