What's new

Tequila time!

My primary spirit of choice on the rocks or neat is and probably will always be bourbon or rye whiskey. I enjoy Irish but am not a big Scotch drinker. Vodka and gin are in the rotation for cocktails and to make sure the lovely Mrs. Camjr remains happy. Having said that, I decided I wanted to dive into the higher end tequila pool. I'm 52 and a lifelong Texan, so I'm actually behind the curve on this. Granted, I've enjoyed a lot of tequilas, but usually in shots or margaritas, mixing different blanco or reposado tequilas with Cointreau or other liqueurs for variation. I picked up a bottle of Cazadores Añejo tequila the other day, and was stunned. The nose, complexity, and smoothness of the añejo was a revelation. The oak aging is noticable. There is a ton of stuff going on in this snifter. Where has this been all my life???

Which añejo tequilas are you drinking neat or with a cube or two?
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Cazadores Anejo has always been a staple down below the border. For a long time, you couldn't purchase it in the US and had to carry it across. It's one of my favorites. A person could pay a lot more and not get a smoother tequila.

If I drink a "dark" tequila, Reposado is what I usually grab. I have sampled a few Anejo that were very flavorful...from the whiskey barrels...but I lean toward Blanco first then Reposado second.

Yes, I am a big American whiskey and bourbon drinker but I like the Blanco/Reposado tequilas.

Have you used Tequila Matchmaker??? Tequila Matchmaker - https://tequilamatchmaker.com/

Lately it's been these that I'm posting AND I'm enjoying them!!!!

Fortaleza Blanco and Reposado
1588284498284.png

Casahuin Blanco Tahona
1588284634812.png

Siete Leguas Blanco
1588284839381.png

****It's not available in Oklahoma but when I go down to Galveston I'm stopping at the downtown Houston Spec's liquor store..it's freakin' awesome in size and selection...and look for this:

1588285076124.png

This vvvvvvvv....BUT IT MUST HAVE.....NOM 1128 on the bottle....NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1588285237124.png

I had a similar experience a couple years ago, camjr. My wife and I were traveling and spent a few nights at a hotel that had a very nice restaurant and tequila bar with a MASSIVE list of tequilas.

The bartender suggested a few to sip on and I found myself really really enjoying it. We've had a good Reposado and/or Anejo in the liquor cabinet ever since. My wife has taken to it as well, and she prefers the sweeter tequilas. Her favorite is Adictivo Reposado, so we often sip on that. My fave is probably Clase Azul Reposado, it's delicious and smooth and the handpainted bottles are a joy. The Clase Azul Blanco is an excellent sipping blanco, IMHO - very smooth. All are on the sweet side, too sweet for some. Like ackvil, I also like Herradura Anejo, so we usually have a bottle of that around too.

I enjoyed a few pours of Don Julio 1942 (also excellent) with a friend a while back, so I need to buck up and buy a bottle of that, and my local shop has a bottle that has been taunting me.

IMG_3457.jpg

I had a similar experience a couple years ago, camjr. My wife and I were traveling and spent a few nights at a hotel that had a very nice restaurant and tequila bar with a MASSIVE list of tequilas.

The bartender suggested a few to sip on and I found myself really really enjoying it. We've had a good Reposado and/or Anejo in the liquor cabinet ever since. My wife has taken to it as well, and she prefers the sweeter tequilas. Her favorite is Adictivo Reposado, so we often sip on that. My fave is probably Clase Azul Reposado, it's delicious and smooth and the handpainted bottles are a joy. The Clase Azul Blanco is an excellent sipping blanco, IMHO - very smooth. All are on the sweet side, too sweet for some. Like ackvil, I also like Herradura Anejo, so we usually have a bottle of that around too.

I enjoyed a few pours of Don Julio 1942 (also excellent) with a friend a while back, so I need to buck up and buy a bottle of that, and my local shop has a bottle that has been taunting me.

View attachment 1114710

+1 Clase azul is excellent

I’d also add Riazul anejo to the list

I've recently been drinking El Epsolon reposado tequila from Jalisco. Quite good. Great in Ranch Water cocktails. I still prefer Anejo for sipping, and Cazadores is my standard for that.

Bought a bottle of Adictivo Anejo last night. It is definitely sweet, which I like, but it is about as sweet as I can enjoy. One glass after dinner is perfect.
4B422FDB-FB75-46DF-BA6B-6A16C7749A3E.jpeg

What is the deal with the weird cap? Are you supposed to use it for some other reason than stopping up the bottle?

I haven't bought tequila in decades. Reading this thread will change that. I used to enjoy Jose Cuervo clear version with Mountain Dew original flavour back in the late 80s. It's not without it's charm as a mixed drink.

Bought a bottle of Adictivo Anejo last night. It is definitely sweet, which I like, but it is about as sweet as I can enjoy. One glass after dinner is perfect.
View attachment 1157733
What is the deal with the weird cap? Are you supposed to use it for some other reason than stopping up the bottle?
When the bottle and cap appear straight, you have had enough.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A very tasty highball I have been enjoying recently is a shot of a decent blanco topped with Jarritos Tamarindo soda. The unique sweet/sour taste of the tamarind really makes the agave flavor pop.

Sounds like a nice drink. I really like the taste of tamarind, but had not thought about how to get it into a drink as a mixer.

I've been sticking to Cazadores Añejo for my sipping tequila, but was so impressed with Epsolon's Reposado offering, I picked up a bottle of their Añejo to try. Review coming soon...

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom