What's new

Dressed to Kilt

This is not intended to be snide in the slightest, but when does one wear a kilt? What the proper occasions? I have zero experience with kilts and I'm curious.

Usually formal wear (i.e., tux occasions), though I've worn mine to the pub more than once with less formal attire. And a few matches, and elsewhere.

This is not intended to be snide in the slightest, but when does one wear a kilt? What the proper occasions? I have zero experience with kilts and I'm curious.

I've worn my kilts to everything from a BBQ to Celtic festivals to Black tie affairs.

What determines the appropriateness of the kilt is what you wear with it.

Kilts are not just for formal occasions.

Full dress kilts are made to measure and meant for formal affairs. They're the Caledonian answer to the tuxedo.

However as F16 noted you can dress the kilt down for informal occasions as well. Try doing that with your cummerbund! :smile:

F16 I wonder if your man Sharpe (see avatar) ever wore the kilt?

I've seen Sean Bean in a kilt, but not Richard Sharpe.

I did see the Gordon Highlanders a few times in some of the episodes. :biggrin:

Now days it is mostly formal stuff, and alot of Scottsmen don't actually wear them anymore. When I lived over in the UK many years ago some Scottish men wore them but it was more a Scottish nationalist/patriotic thing and they usually didn't have very high-profile jobs (a few bus drivers I saw wore them).

Now days it is mostly formal stuff, and alot of Scottsmen don't actually wear them anymore. When I lived over in the UK many years ago some Scottish men wore them but it was more a Scottish nationalist/patriotic thing and they usually didn't have very high-profile jobs (a few bus drivers I saw wore them).

That's what I was trying to say in the post above. Though sometimes I'll see them worn at a match, especially a heated one.

Top Bottom