What's new

Dress shoes

I've got a pair of Church's from their custom line (with the signature of the maker in ink on the inside) that I bought in London more than 25 years ago. Wonderful dress shoes.

The only problem is my feet have grown a full size since then -- must be the rest of me compressing down -- and the Church's are really tight on the few occasions I wear them.

So, a couple of questions:

Could I get the Church's stretched enough to fit? Or is the very idea sacrilegeous?

If not, any recommendations for a "bang-for-the-buck" dress shoe in the $200 range? I fear the Aldens, Allen-Edmonds, Church's et al are a bit out of my range now that I have a wife, a daughter, private school tuition, all that good stuff.

I've got a pair of Church's from their custom line (with the signature of the maker in ink on the inside) that I bought in London more than 25 years ago. Wonderful dress shoes.

The only problem is my feet have grown a full size since then -- must be the rest of me compressing down -- and the Church's are really tight on the few occasions I wear them.

So, a couple of questions:

Could I get the Church's stretched enough to fit? Or is the very idea sacrilegeous?

If not, any recommendations for a "bang-for-the-buck" dress shoe in the $200 range? I fear the Aldens, Allen-Edmonds, Church's et al are a bit out of my range now that I have a wife, a daughter, private school tuition, all that good stuff.

I would consider writing to Church and asking them whether they can be stretched or whatever. For that level of shoe they ought to be able to be of help at least by giving good advice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Shoe-stretching can certainly be done to good shoes ... and those shoes are more suited to it than cheap shoes IMHO. So look into it at least (although I have no idea if a full size can be squeezed out of a good stretching.)

I picked up a pair of brand new Allen Edmond Kennetts and another pair from some Italian maker for $70 from Last Chance here in AZ. There were plenty more AE's for $40 and dress ports. I've seen Allen Edmonds go for fairly cheap on ebay as well.

I picked up a pair of brand new Allen Edmond Kennetts and another pair from some Italian maker for $70 from Last Chance here in AZ. There were plenty more AE's for $40 and dress ports. I've seen Allen Edmonds go for fairly cheap on ebay as well.

That is an incredible price on brand new AE Kennetts! Zappos.com has them on sale for $175 and says list is $289. I find Zappos prices to be pretty good. Someone has a used pair on EBay on a "buy now" for $134.50.

That is an incredible price on brand new AE Kennetts! Zappos.com has them on sale for $175 and says list is $289. I find Zappos prices to be pretty good. Someone has a used pair on EBay on a "buy now" for $134.50.

Yes it is. And theres Montgomery's etc. all for $40 at Last Chance. Crazy. So many shoes that I had my pick.

If you have small feet, theres one on the bay for $80 (used). Crud, can't link... uh.... Kennet size 8 is the search.

edit: Maybe I'll go pick up all the AE's at Last Chance and stick them on the bay. :lol:

I hear people in Phoenix do that with the women's clothing & shoes.

Last edited:
Yes it is. And theres Montgomery's etc. all for $40 at Last Chance. Crazy. So many shoes that I had my pick.

If you have small feet, theres one on the bay for $80 (used). Crud, can't link... uh.... Kennet size 8 is the search.

edit: Maybe I'll go pick up all the AE's at Last Chance and stick them on the bay. :lol:

I hear people in Phoenix do that with the women's clothing & shoes.

More like a 10 D or E in the typical AE last I would say. $40 is just insane for AE Montgomerys. Zappos.com has those distinctly not on sale for a full $289 a pair. The Kennet and the Montgomery are both rubber soled as I recall, so they are not up to the original poster's custom grade Churchs (so few shoes anywhere are going to be up to custom grade Churchs) but still both of these AE models are calf, as I recall. Calf in AE is no small beer, I do not care if they came with cardboard soles!--those uppers are in quality leather.

I cannot grok those prices at all. As I recall, these shoes are still manufactured in the US. I bet you could make some dollars buying at Last Chance and reselling on EBay. I vitually guarantee you could make some money buying from Last Chance and reselling to me! Around Washington, DC, in my experience, maybe a few pairs of AEs show up at SYMS every once in a while for say $165. The last pair I saw of any interest were widely mis-sized. They were clearly marked larger than they were and they were not a highly desirable model anyway. Maybe AEs for $40 a pair are going to start being available around here, too!

You might want to look at Johnston and Murphy's. I am a diehard J&M customer; however, I must admit their quality has suffered a little in recent years. My father turned me on to them. The quality of the shoes in the price range is still there. The quality on the lower end shoes has gone down.

Someone else mentioned writing Church, I second that. My father wrote Johnston & Murphy when he couldn't find the shoe he wanted. They told him it was out of stock and discontinued. However, since he was a loyal customer, they offered to resole and refurbish his existing pairs at a fraction of the cost.

The worst they can say is no, give it a try.

More like a 10 D or E in the typical AE last I would say. $40 is just insane for AE Montgomerys. Zappos.com has those distinctly not on sale for a full $289 a pair. The Kennet and the Montgomery are both rubber soled as I recall, so they are not up to the original poster's custom grade Churchs (so few shoes anywhere are going to be up to custom grade Churchs) but still both of these AE models are calf, as I recall. Calf in AE is no small beer, I do not care if they came with cardboard soles!--those uppers are in quality leather.

I cannot grok those prices at all. As I recall, these shoes are still manufactured in the US. I bet you could make some dollars buying at Last Chance and reselling on EBay. I vitually guarantee you could make some money buying from Last Chance and reselling to me! Around Washington, DC, in my experience, maybe a few pairs of AEs show up at SYMS every once in a while for say $165. The last pair I saw of any interest were widely mis-sized. They were clearly marked larger than they were and they were not a highly desirable model anyway. Maybe AEs for $40 a pair are going to start being available around here, too!

Willing to go take a look. Size 10 you say? ;) Also, the $40 shoes are moderately to lightly used. Still a damn fine deal at that price.

OP, whats your shoe size? If I go for cstrother, I'll look for you too. I suppose if either of you don't want the shoe, I'm fairly certain ebay will snatch it up.

Anyway, they did have leather soled options. I just can't remember the names. Too many options for my small memory.

Willing to go take a look. Size 10 you say? ;) Also, the $40 shoes are moderately to lightly used. Still a damn fine deal at that price.

OP, whats your shoe size? If I go for cstrother, I'll look for you too. I suppose if either of you don't want the shoe, I'm fairly certain ebay will snatch it up.

Anyway, they did have leather soled options. I just can't remember the names. Too many options for my small memory.

I hate to put you to any trouble, and I am not short on dress shoes, but what the heck! No rubber soles, I do not think. I have quite current AE Park Avenues in 10E and older Sanfords in 10E as well. I think the Sandord it a discontinued model. My guess is that these are exactly the same last. A 10D might actually be a better fit in these. My just is that more contemporary styles of AEs might be run slightly narrower.

Interesting. Looking at these two shoes, My guess is that they are intended to be at the same quality point for AE, and Park Avenues have been made by AE forever, but the Sanfords clearly have some more expensive touches than the PAs and a generally hgher quality appearance. Subtle, but side by side the older shoe just seems to have better "fit and finish." Still really nice shoes though.

You truly do not have to do this leighton, my good friend!

My mom's coming up here and she's going to take forever in there anyway. :lol:

:mad: And she refuses to rent a car or learn to drive stick....

edit: Delrays! Thats the other AE they had dozens of. The other thread reminded me.

Last edited:
I must admit their quality has suffered a little in recent years. My father turned me on to them.

My father bought me my first pair of J&M's and I loved wearing them but like you said, their quality has dropped...their leather is very plastic-like. This is why I switched to Cole-Haan. A much more comfortable shoe at a little higher price point and the Nike Air insoles are worth it!! I bet I bought 8 pair of Cole-Haan shoes this year and I'm digging their new wingtips. I have a pair of Cole Haan Oxblood wingtips that I bought in 1995 that are still going strong and I get tons of complements on them.

Del Rays
proxy.php

Very similar in style to the other two only with leather sole. Interesting. Seems to be a theme. Wonder if AE is phasing out anything that looks like this. It is an absolutley classic look. I am sure AE has made something like ti forever!

You might want to look at Johnston and Murphy's. I am a diehard J&M customer; however, I must admit their quality has suffered a little in recent years. My father turned me on to them. The quality of the shoes in the price range is still there. The quality on the lower end shoes has gone down.

Someone else mentioned writing Church, I second that. My father wrote Johnston & Murphy when he couldn't find the shoe he wanted. They told him it was out of stock and discontinued. However, since he was a loyal customer, they offered to resole and refurbish his existing pairs at a fraction of the cost.

The worst they can say is no, give it a try.

It is too bad to hear about the quality suffering. I am a big fan too. In my job, I used to have to wear a suit and stand up all day. Johnson and Murphy was the only choice for me. I also really like their timeless classic styles. The ones I bought in the 80's, I still wear today.

Dave

Hey Leighton, thanks for the kind offer.

I'm looking for a 10.5D. I know, tough size to find ... Those Delreys would be great. Love that split toe design. The Kennetts would be cool, too. Black or brown or "burnished chili." ...

Meanwhile, time to write to Church's.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I have looked at the Delray in person, great looking shoe. What colour do they have it in (comes in black, brown and chili)? Any size 12 D? Want to make a few extra $. That shoe for $40 is a STEAL!

You don't get to be picky. Unless you wear an odd size and they have a lot of them in stock. Last Chance are returns from Nordstrom's. AE isn't phasing out anything, people just returned the shoes for some reason and Nordstrom sends them off to Last Chance to sell. I'll see about picking up some AEs in 10 & 10.5 next time I'm there.

I was in a Nordstrom Rack store yesterday and saw a couple of pair of Allen-Edmonds in stock. They had some scuffs, as you'd expect for a clearance item, but they were still $160 ... $40 sounds like a much better deal.

Ok, this is what I was able to scrounge at Last Chance for $90.

Not the best deal, but I couldn't believe how little shoes they had in 10 & 11. Freaking ebayers must buy them all up.

Size 11D, Allen Edmonds Dawsons in some shade of brown. I think its chestnut?

edit: but they did have a few other brands. Like Nordstroms brand & some other ones. Only the Nordstroms brands looked worth buying. The other ones were pretty worn.

edit 2: Tag says 9d, but its 11 ish. Measures about 13 inches toe to heel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom