What's new

dress shirt problem - wrinkled arms

It has little to do with the fact it is cotton. And everything to do with how the fabric is made. I.e. how tightly wound. How the cotton was treated, and weaved. I have shirts that wrinkle easily, and shirts that hardly wrinkle at all (they are not "wrinkle proof" coated shirts).

Your best bet is take your shirt to the best dry cleaner in your area. Call them and make sure they hand press. Don't go for the "cheaper" alternative as you will then be wasting your money. Try it out if it works keep taking your shirts to them. If not, it is your shirt, and it will never change. Live with it don't worry about it. As long as it was a freshly pressed shirt when you put it on none of the wrinkles will look "wrong" or overly ugly. Shirt wrinkles are going to happen. There is also the chance your shirt sleeves are too tight.

I like to iron my dress shirt arms by rolling up a bath towel into a cigar shape, then inserting it into the sleeve. My fashionista girlfriend showed me this. I then iron the sleeve that now looks like there's an arm in it. This keeps any creases from appearing on the entire sleeve. That is a fashion trick you might want to consider.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm going to try a few of these out, and now have some great tips the next time I go shopping for dress shirts :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like to iron my dress shirt arms by rolling up a bath towel into a cigar shape, then inserting it into the sleeve. My fashionista girlfriend showed me this. I then iron the sleeve that now looks like there's an arm in it. This keeps any creases from appearing on the entire sleeve. That is a fashion trick you might want to consider.

My fashion trick is to keep my suit jacket on, so I don't have to iron the sleeves at all.

It works, and one looks even better. (But your towel tip can work too, if you want to do it that way.)

YMMV.

I've had good luck with some non-iron shirts (BB and Charles Tyhrwhitt) and the key for me is that they wrinkle less throughout the day than my cotton shirts.

With that said, I just wouldn't worry about wrinkled sleeves at my elbows. Its one of those things thats going to happen to some degree no matter what you do.

All of my non-iron shirts are Brooks Brothers and I still iron them so they look their best.

Don't know how you are using your starch but starch is used to prevent wrinkles.

i don't use starch...I wash, hang to dry and iron. I do the same procedure for all of my shirts and have no problems with wrinkles. My all cotton non treated shirts are from manufacturers that use quality cotton and are easy to iron and don't wrinkle easily. I find quality products produce great results.

Last edited:
i don't use starch...I wash, hang to dry and iron. I do the same procedure for all of my shirts and have no problems with wrinkles. My all cotton non treated shirts are from manufacturers that use quality cotton and are easy to iron and don't wrinkle easily. I find quality products produce great results.

Oops I quoted the wrong person sorry. Lol. I agree quality over quantity when it comes to dress clothes. Always with very very few exceptions.

Last edited:
Don't know how you are using your starch but starch is used to prevent wrinkles.

Like I said, I don't use starch.

Stopped using starch about 18 years ago.

Shirts stay softer and do not wrinkle. Of course you need to start with high quality 100% cotton shirts.

YMMV

Top Bottom