What's new

Drag

I have been a brush and soap user forever. I recently added creams to the mix but in the old days; (4 weeks ago) I was using a Senor Excel and knocking off a one pass shave in record time.

Now that I am a DE convert and a newbie to boot; my first pass UN-RUSHED DE shave is taking a lot longer than my old routine. As a result it seems like the long wait to get to certain areas of my face allows my lather of choice to dry a bit and as a result the razor seems to drag on my face.

I do use either Proraso P/P or the CF pre-shave lotion every shave but the issue remains regardless of what I use in regards to pre-shave products or lather types/brands. Dipping the razor in water helps as does adding more water to the the brush for a second pass but I was thinking if a pre-shave oil might also be a solution.

What about just lathering sections of my face at a time?

I guess I should have prefaced this by saying I'm a hot blooded Mediterranean and my body heat might just evaporate the excess water on my face.

Any suggestions to get a smoother gliding razor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

sounds like maybe your lather isn't as wet as it could be,

if you haven't already then check out Mantic's you tube shaving videos he has a couple on lather that are really great and should help you

What kind of brush are you using? I had similar issues when I used a cheap boar brush. I always had issues with the right ammount of water in my lather. Since switching to badger that is all but a problem of the past. Don't know if that helps.

Welcome 2 B&B,

Nothing wrong with dipping the brush in water or putting on a fresh coat. I've done it. I still apply lather to one section when it calls for it.

I've never felt the need to go in sections though. If it works for you then why not? Personally I think that would just add too much time overall to the shave.

The good thing here is as you gain experience you'll get quicker. I would suggest really hydrating your face between passes. I wet my face really well for each pass and proceed immediately to lathering. Once I made this small change my lather stopped drying out.

Cheers,

I at times hit the water with the brush to keep it wet between passes, basically adding a little splash of water to the brush. I also do a quick rinse of my face after each pass making sure my face is wet before lathering.

Being a noob myself, I share your dried lather problem. Tonight, in an attempt to finally get my neck right, I ended up painting small sections immediately before hitting them again and again from various angles. Still didn't get it right, but my neck is unscathed. I'm on the whatever works train too, though I expect that eventually I'll get good enough technique and equipment to get it "right". I also hope that "right" will take less than half an hour and bet that it will look very similar to the methods detailed on these boards.

It's really a matter of experimenting with your lather. When just starting out I would sometime practice making a couple of batches between shaves and throw them away. It might help for you to do the same. It's not wasting cream, it's learning how to use it. What creams are you using?

JP:

I'm using Classic Shaving soaps which I like and in the creams I'm using T&H, TOBS & CF. Getting a great lather is no problem for me but the amount of time it takes me to shave with DE is a lot longer than I used to need. I guess I'm suffering from some evaporation.

JP:

I'm using Classic Shaving soaps which I like and in the creams I'm using T&H, TOBS & CF. Getting a great lather is no problem for me but the amount of time it takes me to shave with DE is a lot longer than I used to need. I guess I'm suffering from some evaporation.

Classic Saving soaps can be tough sometimes to get and keep a good lather and aren't the slickest soaps either, so if you are having problems with the soap drying out I would try some other brand there are many other soaps that lather much better then classic brand, there own brand of creams though is excellent both in ingredients and latherability but quite pricey.

As you get more comfortable with the technique, your shaving time will undoubtedly improve and you will get to those areas a bit sooner.
As suggested though, if you see the lather starting to dry out, or the moment you feel drag, reaply with your brush to remoisten.

Top Bottom