What's new

Dr. Plumb, Dinky bent briar. Good first pipe?

I've been doing some browsing, looking for my first pipe and found this Dr. Plumb dinky bent briar.

I like the shape and style and the idea of one that is "pocket sized" is appealing for work.

Does anyone have any experience of these? Is it a good pipe for a beginner? Any issues with the metal filter? (sorry for all the questions).

The seller has a pretty good range of stuff, so I think I'd be able to get myself kitted out with a "starter kit" without having to raid the housekeeping budget (so SWMBO will be happier :lol:).

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Here's a little info for you
http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discus/messages/26/38171.html?1165103904
http://forum.pipes.org/~discus/discus/messages/23/69600.html?1227577227

If you like it, it seams like it will be a decent starter. A pipe with a small bowl will probably be more difficult to lean to pack correctly, just because it will be easier to overfill. As far as the metal filter, also called a stinger, if you like it leave it, and if not you can pull it out. I have a couple pipes that have come with stingers and I've pulled them all out, so I can run a pipe cleaner through the pipe.

It's not the brand so much as the size 3 3/4" is not much and some nose warmers can be tricky to pack and smoke. It could make your learning experience more difficult. I understand the desire for a short smoke at work but I would want a bit more shank and stem to cool the smoke.

Thanks for the feedback gents! :001_smile

I'm going to a B&M shop on Saturday, to actually handle some real pipes...rather than just looking at pictures :lol: If I don't get anything there and then (apart from a couple of cigars from the walk-in humidor), I'll probably be back for some more advice.:thumbup1:

A pipe with a small bowl will probably be more difficult to lean to pack correctly, just because it will be easier to overfill.

It's not the brand so much as the size 3 3/4" is not much and some nose warmers can be tricky to pack and smoke. It could make your learning experience more difficult. I understand the desire for a short smoke at work but I would want a bit more shank and stem to cool the smoke.

I see the point about the size, but aren't Cobs (the commonly recommended pipe for beginners) small too? :001_huh:

I see the point about the size, but aren't Cobs (the commonly recommended pipe for beginners) small too? :001_huh:

Yes they are but they typically are longer in the shank and bowl allowing the smoke to cool a bit more and a cob is a dryer cooler smoke if you get a good one. In terms of length they are about standard. And the favored variates have a slightly larger bowl.

Yes they are but they typically are longer in the shank and bowl allowing the smoke to cool a bit more and a cob is a dryer cooler smoke if you get a good one. In terms of length they are about standard. And the favored variates have a slightly larger bowl.

Ah, that makes more sense....I definitely need to see and handle some real pipes side by side. I'd just got this mental image that cobs were very small.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Cobs come in a couple different sizes, but most are average size if you consider the volume, the chamber just tends to be longer and narrower than a most carved briars.

I've actually read good things about the Dr. Plumb Dinky pipes on Smokers Forums. They have a 9mm filter version, and that's what I'd go with. You don't have to use a filter, but you'd have the option.

-Andy

I ended up getting a Dr Plumb as my 6th pipe :lol:

I've actually read good things about the Dr. Plumb Dinky pipes on Smokers Forums. They have a 9mm filter version, and that's what I'd go with. You don't have to use a filter, but you'd have the option

It's the "Dinky-Nine" that I got, I've used it both with and without the filters...I think I prefer it with, although that might vary with different tobaccos. I haven't experienced any "bite" yet, so I think the length of the mouthpiece/stem section is long enough (as long as you don't puff too hard and fast) :001_smile

Top Bottom