What's new

DOVO vs. Ralf Aust vs. Revisor

Looking for my next razor. The only one i have is one of Larry's sight unseen razor. It's a 5/8 half hollow Pribyl bros. magnetic razor. I was first looking at the Dovos availible from norwegian dealers, as i was at first unwilling to deal with costums. But then Ralf Aust seems to get a lot of love here and if they are better I think I should get one of those. Revisor also seems like a good choice, but after poking my head around both here and at straightrazorplace it seems that they have some grinding problems. So which one do you guys recommend? And please dont say: "Buy them all" :lol:

To be honest. I dont think u will notice a (if any) big diffrence in the shave.
The grinds on a dovo are far from perfect (well mine is). My wacker is a lot better. Still not perfect.
In the end they are tools to be used, not jeweld to be worn.
I'd say pick the one most appealing to you though i personally would not go for a cheaper dovo.
I hope to see my revisor in the mail next week

It seems that all three manufacturers source their steel blanks from the Herkenrath drop-forge in Solingen, the "only" difference is in grind and hardening

To be honest. I dont think u will notice a (if any) big diffrence in the shave.
The grinds on a dovo are far from perfect (well mine is). My wacker is a lot better. Still not perfect.
In the end they are tools to be used, not jeweld to be worn.
I'd say pick the one most appealing to you though i personally would not go for a cheaper dovo.
I hope to see my revisor in the mail next week
Please let me know how it shaves.

I have a Dovo Prima Steel (I guess this is a medium level Dovo) and a Ralf Aust. Between the two, I prefer the Ralf Aust. It could be that it just has a sharper edge than the Ralf. It just feels better in the hands and provides a closer shave. Again YMMV and there are many factors that play into it.

I would suggest anything that fits best with your budget. Let us know which one you decide on!

you have so many choices.
revisor, aust, dovo are all great.
so are puma, boker, thiers-issard, schulze, henckels, filarmonica, hart, dorko, others.
from my limited exposure, i'd rank aust then revisor then dovo, but not far apart.
i would lean to a full hollow blade.
big factor is the quality of the bevel set and hone.
expect a probability that you will need to send the blade for re-honing.
fwiw. enjoy your journey!

It seems that all three manufacturers source their steel blanks from the Herkenrath drop-forge in Solingen, the "only" difference is in grind and hardening

FYI: we are entirely certain that at least one of the manufacturers solicits bids for their blanks per year based on specification of the steel recipe and quantity, and takes the lowest from wherever in the EU, which is not 100% the time a Solingen forger.

What does it really matter when all 3 have the same formulation? The formulation, temper, and grind are what are important and only 2 vary.

I live in the U.K.and have recently bought the basic 5/8 carbon steel Revisor, via the starter kit, and have just bought a €200 6/8 stainless steel Ralf Aust. Both were bought direct from the manufacturer, neither was shave ready! if you can hone them yourself fine, if not buy from a seller who will hone them for you.

Top Bottom