What's new

Dovo/Merkur Bankrupt

i've posted my sadness elsewhere, but here also...

dovo merkur.jpg

Dovo and Merkur is filling for bankruptcy in Solingen. Sad day...

Very Sad hope they find someone to take over before and saves them....

I reacted immediately by purchasing my 4th straight razor, a Dovo, like the previous three. I thought that the prices might go up, or the quality could go down, or both. Now I am set for a long time....

According to the referred newspaper article (post#1) the provisional insolvency administrator is looking for a new investor in order to continue business - so not all hope is lost as yet.

There was talk on another shaving forum that Dovo and Merkur are two different entities (and Merkur is not affected by Dovo´s insolvency). But I don´t know if this is correct.

According to the referred newspaper article (post#1) the provisional insolvency administrator is looking for a new investor in order to continue business - so not all hope is lost as yet.

There was talk on another shaving forum that Dovo and Merkur are two different entities (and Merkur is not affected by Dovo´s insolvency). But I don´t know if this is correct.
If it's true it makes sense to me. Merkur is still a bestselling brand while Dovo has got some very fierce competition from manufacturers like Wacker, Aust and Revisor that have better reputation and very little overhead.

I guess the resurgence of traditional wet shaving is not as strong as we had hoped?
The company makes many other products in addition to shaving products. Things like scissors and grooming tools. All things that would be sold to businesses shut down by the covid-19 situation.

Hmmm. Good point.

They article also said this (via Google translate) after noting Dovo made “high-quality cutlery, shaving and personal care products:

“Nevertheless, in the past few years the old manufactory had to recognize more and more that tradition had been rejected.”

So could also be that wet shaving is growing but straight razors aren’t keeping pace, b) straight razor enthusiasts have more choices than in the past, including new companies that don’t have Dovo’s legacy costs. I got into shaving with a straight razor late last year and now have four of them. None are Dovo.

Last edited:
This is a little depressing; hope they find an investor.
My first straight was a 5/8 from Dovo and while not the best razor at all, it was my first.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Dovo make a lot of things besides straight razors. They make scissors, grooming tools, etc. I would guess that straight razors are a drop in the bucket for the company.

It’s sad to see such a storied company in trouble, but some of it is understandable. They and other German cutlery companies make grooming kits, small scissors, files, clippers, etc. Many of these sell for up to $500. Such kits may be traditional, but very few people are going to pay that. I actually bought one that was normally $250-275 when SRD closed down, for $95 and it was a simple, basic kit. I’d say it is worth $95 but I never, ever would have paid $250 for it.

They also released a lot of poorly ground straight razors that would not easily hone on a traditional flat hone, They needed corrective honing or narrow/domed hones to hit all the edge. I have one. This has been discussed on all the SR forums. I would have loved to have had a few more Bismarcks, but my batting record was 50/50 and I would not gamble on them - and returning one would have been a nightmare if even possible. Other brands grinding razors from the same blanks did not seem to have this reputation. Their scales, along with most if not all of the other German manufacturers, are heavy and have spacers instead of wedges, a cheaper non-traditional solution, but not IMO, worthy of a premium price.

They’re facing the same problems many manufacturers are, getting prices down and quality up to the standards of the modern world. Other companies have done it and I am optimistic that they will too, they’re smart people and know what has to be done. I wish them all the best of course, they’re good people making some good products.

Dovo make a lot of things besides straight razors. They make scissors, grooming tools, etc. I would guess that straight razors are a drop in the bucket for the company.

It’s sad to see such a storied company in trouble, but some of it is understandable. They and other German cutlery companies make grooming kits, small scissors, files, clippers, etc. Many of these sell for up to $500. Such kits may be traditional, but very few people are going to pay that. I actually bought one that was normally $250-275 when SRD closed down, for $95 and it was a simple, basic kit. I’d say it is worth $95 but I never, ever would have paid $250 for it.

They also released a lot of poorly ground straight razors that would not easily hone on a traditional flat hone, They needed corrective honing or narrow/domed hones to hit all the edge. I have one. This has been discussed on all the SR forums. I would have loved to have had a few more Bismarcks, but my batting record was 50/50 and I would not gamble on them - and returning one would have been a nightmare if even possible. Other brands grinding razors from the same blanks did not seem to have this reputation. Their scales, along with most if not all of the other German manufacturers, are heavy and have spacers instead of wedges, a cheaper non-traditional solution, but not IMO, worthy of a premium price.

They’re facing the same problems many manufacturers are, getting prices down and quality up to the standards of the modern world. Other companies have done it and I am optimistic that they will too, they’re smart people and know what has to be done. I wish them all the best of course, they’re good people making some good products.
I must admit that it's a very simple decision when choosing between an Aust razor and a Dovo for the same price. Even so I've got several modern Dovo razors and they are good even if not comparable to the ones made by the competition. I do also have a couple of Dovo razors made some 20 years ago and they are of a totally different quality.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, I absolutely agree Arne. If I were them I’d follow Apple’s approach back from near bankruptcy A few decades ago. Get small and only produce the best quality goods (yeah I know Apple didn’t always do that but that was the path). Cut the entry level stuff that‘s giving you a bad reputation, then establish the new company and grow it. Don’t compete as commodity goods unless you’re manufacturing in SE Asia. Grow some real customer service that you would expect from a premium brand.

I won’t buy a new Bismarck at whatever they go for with the chances of getting a non-returnable dud at current levels. People on B&B have posted about Dovo quality control comparing them to Gold Dollar. I might buy good one for $450 in proper scales with proper customer support. If they made that MOP scaled razor these days, I se no reason why they wouldn’t sell for $500 or more in today’s dollars. IOW, they cost too much for commodity tools and they don’t have the brand recognition, quality, and customer support to be a premium brand.

They can fix that, it’s all been done before. I’m rooting for them.

Just got on B&B ... its been a few days and to see Dovo/Merkur going into bankruptcy caused me to panic. I have had a 37C for about 6 years and love the shave, but I haven't ever got around to getting a "Sledgehammer'. I just ordered 2 39C slants - one to use and one goes in my collection. Whew ... one less worry! :thumbup:

I just purchased a Bismarck and Bergischer-Lowe and I would say they are equal to my Austs and better then the Wacker and Revisor. Very good razors for the price.

I have serious misgivings about this “two different entities” claim as I wrote earier today here (go to post number 11):

B.

Top Bottom