What's new

Dovo Bismarck Black

Hi,

i am thinking to buy a Dovo Bismark Black. Unfortunately I can’t find any good reviews on that razor. Has anyone experience with it? Does the the anodizing affect the edge? How is the long term wear? Any other comment onthe razor itself?

Thanks a lot in advance!
B16666F3-0B61-4BB2-9167-1A90DA6BB729.jpeg

All I could find is that Shave Nation had once sold this as an "exclusive" Shave Nation product at a high price (full retail), but is out of stock. The Dovo site currently sells this, also at a very high price (full retail). But several "bay" sellers currently have it at a significantly lower price. It is described as an oxidized finish and I suspect it will be subject to scratches and wear. Dove calls the finish abrasion resistant. This is what I found about the finish:

"The steel’s oxidized in a controlled environment, and thereafter abruptly stopped, in a process occasionally referred to as ‘blue steel’. Oxidation makes the steel especially grippy, and takes on a signature blackish-blue finish."

My own thoughts are that the oxidized finish will resist rusting. But if you need to set a bevel, you might tape the spine to preserve the finish. I also think the finish will last, as long as you don't damage, scratch or abuse the blade. Otherwise I think the quality will be what you expect from Dovo. The finish is simply cosmetic.

Thanks for your answer.
I just think, the razor looks stunning in black. I am not a big fan of the regular gold trimming but live the bismarck shape. I am just worried about the edge itself over a longer period of time. Would be great to hear some comments from anyone who actually owns the razor as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Blueing will have no effect on the edge. However it is IMHO kind of stupid to have a finish that will tempt the owner to hone with tape even to the detriment of the razor. I prefer plain honest steel. YMMV.

I've concluded that should I ever own anything with any kind of coating on the spine, it's going to get honed right off and LIKE IT.

The Bismarck is a terrific razor, and an excellent choice for a first straight. Comes in a few different versions with both ebony and horn scales (handles). Plus there is an upscale version called the Carre. My first straight was a Carre, and it has served me very well.

It’s one of my favorites. The hone marks don’t bother me, and I’m not sure how the coating could affect the edge. I don’t know if the coating helps with rust, I treat it the same as all my razors. The Superior Shave has them, that’s where I got mine.

Attachments

• 9B7715CB-E220-4F14-9C28-54B8E4EF350B.jpeg
    9B7715CB-E220-4F14-9C28-54B8E4EF350B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 9EDE3E27-E017-46F2-B895-7B558DBBDABE.jpeg
    9EDE3E27-E017-46F2-B895-7B558DBBDABE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
This is a beauty. The black color gives the razor a modern look while being a classic shaver. I think, I am sold.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone write bad things about a Bismarck. I just preferred this look over the gold. It seems like the finish will be fine long term, but it doesn’t take much honing to wear it off the spine.

I do think there are many other razors that use the same blank as the Bismarck, maybe even makers besides Dovo. The La Forme is another Dovo, I just can’t stand the scales appearance.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone write bad things about a Bismarck. I just preferred this look over the gold. It seems like the finish will be fine long term, but it doesn’t take much honing to wear it off the spine.
Now I can’t resist anymore. I am not a big fan of gold and silver combinations ... The razor is now in the cart ... will add a few thinks and buy it!

It is no different from any other Dovo 6/8 thumb notch razor. Just remember that the underlaying steel will shine through after that you've honed it. In my opinion the scales are a bite crude. I prefer the original Bismarck version, but even more I'd recommend the Flowing or the Carre versions. Then again black is cool.

20210405_122114.jpg
20210405_122114.jpg

Now I can’t resist anymore. I am not a big fan of gold and silver combinations ... The razor is now in the cart ... will add a few thinks and buy it!

All the different Bismarck versions have the same blade and should shave the same. You have to shave with it. Go for the one that pleases you!

It is no different from any other Dovo 6/8 thumb notch razor. Just remember that the underlaying steel will shine through after that you've honed it. In my opinion the scales are a bite crude. I prefer the original Bismarck version, but even more I'd recommend the Flowing or the Carre versions. Then again black is cool.

View attachment 1246827View attachment 1246827
The Flowing looks also stunning. Even bettee to he honest. But its 100+ USD more. Not sure its worth it? Or do you have a different opinion on the price difference?

The Flowing looks also stunning. Even bettee to he honest. But its 100+ USD more. Not sure its worth it? Or do you have a different opinion on the price difference?
The shaves are the same, but Flowing is a great looking razor, besides the notches in the scales are there to make it comfortable to hold. So if you're planning to keep the razor the extra cost will be minimal split over the years to come. In short I'd choose the Flowing, then again I have both. If I only was to keep one Dovo thumb notch razor it would definitely be the Flowing.

To paraphrase Frank Zappa, "Questions, questions, plaguing the young shaver!" If you get deeper into the rabbit hole, this question is likely to continue. Ultimately, you need to decide what is best for you. One advantage of not going for the frills is you can direct the "extra" money to your next razor :).

Top Bottom