What's new

Double Ring help needed -- picture heavy

I recently picked this razor up in a lot of razors that I purchased. The razor appears to be a double ring and has both the Pat Nov 4 '15 on the barrel and a serial number of 53954 which would put it from 1905. Problem is, when screwed down snuggly, there is a gap between the base plate and cap. My guess is, based on the pins, that the cap is actually from a single ring or old type. Am I correct in the thought? Any other reason why the cap would not snug tightly other than perhaps the female threads are shot? It doesn't give the impression that the threads are bad. Any help anyone could provide (many of you have more knowledge about these things than I do) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
DSC_0052.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure, but that looks like a thick cap somehow made to work.

Notice the thickness of the various caps.

Timeline Old Type small.jpg

I'd check the diameter of the alignment pins and see if they're binding inside the holes in the base. You should be able to see where its hanging up, but thats my best guess, a wrong cap somehow.

View attachment 933210

I'd check the diameter of the alignment pins and see if they're binding inside the holes in the base. You should be able to see where its hanging up, but thats my best guess, a wrong cap somehow.

Well, I just took a single ring cap and married it to the double ring and, voila, snugged right up. So it most definitely is the wrong cap. As single ring thin caps are the same as double ring thin caps, I guess I'll just have to find a donor single ring and steal the cap! :) Thanks for your help!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well, I just took a single ring cap and married it to the double ring and, voila, snugged right up. So it most definitely is the wrong cap. As single ring thin caps are the same as double ring thin caps, I guess I'll just have to find a donor single ring and steal the cap! :) Thanks for your help!

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. I'd wait for a few more opinions though. I dont know why anyone would go to the length of work required to make a thick cap work when a Single Ring cap isnt that hard to find. Especially for a Double Ring in that condition.

That is an easy fix for a Grail razor in really nice condition though.

Take care of it. You'll likely never find another.

@romsitsa and @nemo may have some advice.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

thin caps have a shorter rod on the cap and a longer tube, while thick caps have a longer rod and a shorter tube. Sometimes the handles of thick caps are also shorter, not by much, but these slight differences add up and the threading won't be long enough to pull the razor together.
Iirc the double rings have an even longer tube.

Adam

Thanks all. I'm still excited about picking up (at least partly) one of my grail razors. The hunt for another single ring begins.

View attachment 933210

+2! That is what it looks like from here also!

Top Bottom