What's new

Dorko Restore - Worth the risk

I always know what to get and make clear cut choices easily. That was until today...
I dont own a Dorko and this partially clouds my judgment. Thoughts please.

Dorko 135 faux tortoise scales in good condition ...

64305938-9B79-4B64-8AF2-8827CE452E08.jpeg

9DF3B6F8-C89E-47FD-94AB-155340CBCCDD.jpeg

75C82B77-1B59-4083-B043-17700F763E45.jpeg

It’s doubtful you will be able to save the gold wash and you want all the rust gone so I would remove from the scales and buff away for say some Flitz or similar

That should clean up ok. Clean the gold gently with a t shirt and WD-40, you won’t get all the rust off but it will be ok. The rest of the blade should be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Gents. I will let you know how it turns out. Might also try braso on cotton wool, its another recommendation I have not tried before.

Will post results when done...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Jnat slurry on a soft paper towel (like the lint-free shop towels) or cotton T-shirt will not harm the gold, at least for a long, long time.

Brasso or any normally abrasive metal polish will remove the gold just as the good doctor says.

I got the rust of the blade and etch, but patina still remain. The back of the blade cleaned up nice. I will continue polishing up scratches left behind from the previous owner trying to clean it for higher resell.

Etches are a ***** when it requires work. Should I leave as is and call it character, or take more chances?

On the plus it took a beautiful edge and I shaved it this evening, very happy. I did find the steel/temper to be on the harder side than I expected from a carbon Solingen, more like Swedish steel.

6122FB70-1124-441F-8F44-E2102ACBB051.jpeg

I got the rust of the blade and etch, but patina still remain. The back of the blade cleaned up nice. I will continue polishing up scratches left behind from the previous owner trying to clean it for higher resell.

Etches are a ***** when it requires work. Should I leave as is and call it character, or take more chances?

On the plus it took a beautiful edge and I shaved it this evening, very happy. I did find the steel/temper to be on the harder side than I expected from a carbon Solingen, more like Swedish steel.

View attachment 1111044

I'm new to this but I'd tape off and work around it. I quickly learned once etching is gone.......its gone.

hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

camo

@ajduplessis, that turned out really nice! Can you summarize what you ended up using to clean up the non-etched parts of the blade?

I ask because I have some Swedish steel inbound that, based on some not-so-great photos, looks a lot like the back of your blade.

@ajduplessis, that turned out really nice! Can you summarize what you ended up using to clean up the non-etched parts of the blade?

I ask because I have some Swedish steel inbound that, based on some not-so-great photos, looks a lot like the back of your blade.
2k w/d, 0000 steel wool, polish and a lot of patience

Top Bottom