What's new

Don’t waste the wax dot

The idea of chain waxing has been around in the bike world for quite a while. Wax is superior to wet lube in many ways. It’s cleaner, faster and lasts longer. It also performs better than oil in wet conditions where it repeals water and grime and doesn’t wash off as easily. My bike has been getting this treatment for years. I’ve often thought about waxing the threads on my safety razor but never got around to it. Then I changed blades and noticed the wax dot on the wrapper. Could it be this easy? Yes it can!

It turns out that Feather, and many other companies, ship each blade with a perfect portion size of thread lube. Just scrape the residual wax off the paper with your finger nail and rub it into the threads for long lasting, smooth, operation. Give it a try the next time you change blades. Don’t waste the wax dot.

What's the purpose of these dots, and why do some makers say don't wipe the blade?
I think they are intended to keep the blade central in the wrapper. This keeps the cutting edge away from the edge of the wrapper. This protects the blade and potentially the person handling the packet.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I use Dorco Primes now the reason that they are good blades and have ZERO wax. Just like BICs they are just wrapped and not waxed in position. It doesn't seem to damage the edge significantly. I do this because my overly glued Nacets once caused my Wunderbar head to fuse that I had to use Zippo fuel to unglue baseplate and cap. No kidding.

The idea to use it as lube for the threads is very ingenious, though! :thumbsup:

The idea of chain waxing has been around in the bike world for quite a while. Wax is superior to wet lube in many ways. It’s cleaner, faster and lasts longer. It also performs better than oil in wet conditions where it repeals water and grime and doesn’t wash off as easily. My bike has been getting this treatment for years. I’ve often thought about waxing the threads on my safety razor but never got around to it. Then I changed blades and noticed the wax dot on the wrapper. Could it be this easy? Yes it can!

It turns out that Feather, and many other companies, ship each blade with a perfect portion size of thread lube. Just scrape the residual wax off the paper with your finger nail and rub it into the threads for long lasting, smooth, operation. Give it a try the next time you change blades. Don’t waste the wax dot.
Great idea! I have been waxing my MTB chains for years also. I live in the desert area of Southern California and waxing my chain was a game changing improvement in extending drivetrain life and ease of maintenance. The sand and grit just sticks to conventional chain lube but not at all to wax.

I usually put a drop or two of mineral oil on the threads of my top caps whenever I assemble my razor but I look forward to trying the wax idea!

Fantastic way to use something that many folks(myself included) dislike, complain about and then throw away!

I personally see no need of lubricating the threads on a razor. I have a 1917 old style Gillette that I used nearly daily for over thirty years, and who knows how much it was used in the many years prior. The threads still are fine, even though they received no special attention, other than being rinsed with water.
But I agree with @Toothpick, it shouldn't hurt to go to the trouble, if you like.

Sorry to mention this, but when I read the title I had to think of the (first?) Shrek movie, where the title character used his earwax as candle. 🕯️

Apologies for bringing this up; one of the side-effects of having to watch Shrek movies with my (now 23 year old) daughter.👩

B.

Typical BB thread! :thumbup:

Thank You.

:gun_bandana:....................................................................................................................:taz:

Top Bottom