What's new

Don't boil-clean a cheap razor

In the past few days, I've gained two razors (Lords). Yay! (See below.) I've also lost one. I suppose one could call this my own fault, but I prefer to think of it as the inevitable learning process of someone who had to start from a base of zero knowledge.

My Vincent was getting gunked up with soap plaque and blade rust, so I decided to clean it while I tried out one of the Lords. On the advice of a B&B member, I boiled the Vincent for about ten minutes (...perhaps it was fifteen...) in water with a splash of white vinegar.

In the first place, that didn't even get all of the gunk off, which leads me to believe that some bits of the butterfly mechanism were themselves liable to rust. In the second place...I murdered the razor. The TTO dial at the button began to melt, locking the silo doors open. Then the dial began to crumble. It didn't actually fall to pieces, but one good tap and it will. I'm wondering if this thing was even made of real metal, or some kind of plastic concoction. I've never seen metal do this. (See below for the autopsy photos.)

I have neither the tools nor the training to try to fix this. The razor is functionally dead, since I'd have to close (and open!) the silo doors by hand, and I now suspect the entire razor of being too weakened by the boiling to hold together. I guess I'm a 3-piece razor man now, at least for the foreseeable future!

I'm torn between throwing it away to get it out of my embarrassed sight, and selling it on eBay just to see what I could get for it. "Exotic, rarely seen shape! Silo doors stay open for extra-gentle shave! Starting bid: $25.00."

Make sure that you don't boil any plastic razors or for that matter any Merkur Razors. The Merkur razors are made out of some cheap tin or pot metal and will discolor big time. If you boil old razors, (I use a pressure cooker with powdered electric dishwasher detergent)k, make sure that they are vintage Gillette or of the same quality. Plastic, like some Schick DE razors and some Single Edge Injector razors will not stand up to the heat.

It makes you wonder what types of metals these razors from the far east are made from? Old computers and electronic components from a land fill or metal left over as nuclear waste. IMO...they don't stand up to the test of time....get a nice vitage
Gillette and put it back in service.

I cringe every time I read someone says they boiled a razor...

I hear you, but I had to do it to a couple of Aristocrat Jr's. because the TTO mechanism was just totally jammed even after soaking for 48 hrs in simple green. I placed my razors in the boiling water and and black stuff (lots of it) started to come out. After that my razors were smoothly operating. I think short and watched periods of boiling can benefit razors which are stubborn. If memory serves me correctly it took 15 mins of boiling water and baking soda to clear it out.

On the advice of a B&B member, I boiled the Vincent for about ten minutes (...perhaps it was fifteen...) in water with a splash of white vinegar.

Who gave you this advice? He needs a stern talking to!
Unless your razor is in really dire condition, hot soapy water and some gentle cleanser is all you'll ever need to make it usuable.

dgilman,

Please stop boiling your razors and I will send you a vintage Super Speed for free.

It has been sanitized with Barbicide and is waiting for you.

PM me your info and it is yours.

I have had really good results with a soak for about an hour in tap water followed up with dish soap and a toothbrush.

Phil

I would have to guess that your razor was made of some sort of plastic, doesn't even look to have the quality of a good Bakelite razor (Merkur still makes a razor out of Bakelite), I would try a Weishi. Cheap but the one I bought feels like it is made out of metal (you can't mistake the feel of cold metals) and of decent quality. I don't know if even a Weishi could stand up to boiling, on some newer razors the inside parts are plastic (even some later Gillettes -- heck, in India they sell a completely plastic razor now).

I would also take Xillion up on his offer of a Gillette Super Speed. They are supposed to be nice razors and are of much better quality than that Vincent. Just don't boil it, OK?

Last edited:
I am humbled by Xillion's offer. I'll have to remember to contribute in a similar PIF way some time when I have something worth offering to another B&B member. :w00t:

As for the gentleman who suggested I boil the Vincent, I shall preserve his anonymity, unless he wishes to declare himself. No doubt he's more accustomed to dealing with sturdy vintage models built to withstand serious hardship. It was my razor and my inattentive boiling; the buck stops here.

I cringe every time I read someone says they boiled a razor...

Who gave you this advice? He needs a stern talking to!
Unless your razor is in really dire condition, hot soapy water and some gentle cleanser is all you'll ever need to make it usuable.

+1 And I'll go further, even in dire condition, just soak it longer in the soapy water. Let it soak for a week if need be. And get a toothbrush for scrubbing clean your razors every once in a while. Once a week should keep you away from the boiling pot. :001_smile

Maybe you should keep the melted razor as a reminder.

-jim

They call it pot metal. Just throw it I there, melt it and pour. Too much lead and it melts at a lower point than what you would think. There's no reason to boil a Vincent as I doubt one would buy a used one as they are so cheap new.

I would mount in on a frame for display. It will serve the same purpose as the displayed blown up gun hanging at most gun clubs (the result of bad handloading, a blocked barrel from a squib load and a second shot blowing it up, etc.)-

+1 on the pot metal. cheap, melts at very low temperatures, prone to bend and break very easily.

I used to work in a music store that did instrument repair and we refused t work on instruments we knew to be from unknown brands with origins in east asia/pacific rim. they used pot metal and would break if you breathed to hard on them.

Regards,

Yeah, don't boil any razors man. Just warm water. If you want to sterilize them get some hydrocide and dip them in that.

Top Bottom