What's new

does this glock make my hair look white?

Thanks guys! I am researching for a home defense hand gun and just curious on the importance of having external safeties and decocking levers. I have read the stories of accidental discharges, and the argument that regardless of safeties and decocks, the shooter still pulls the trigger with a chambered round.

i took some time deciding what to get. im not crazy about the fact that glock has 3 safeties and all 3 can be undone by simply pulling the trigger.
but in the end,, glock won out.

i carried a glock for 11 years when i was a LEO...

they are dead nuts reliable... accurate.... and reliable....

i wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to one like i said ... i did it for 11 years.......

One of the many reasons that I swear by the 1911 is that when I hold one, I look young by comparison.

Glocks add years....Old Slabsides subtracts them!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
i took some time deciding what to get. im not crazy about the fact that glock has 3 safeties and all 3 can be undone by simply pulling the trigger.
but in the end,, glock won out.

I am in the same boat. I don't ever plan on carrying it as Hawaii will never move to CCW. The number of choices are worse than deciding on a straight. I am leaning towards the G17, XDm, Sig P226, M&P, blah blah blah. It's agonizingly delightful! :smile:

I am in the same boat. I don't ever plan on carrying it as Hawaii will never move to CCW. The number of choices are worse than deciding on a straight. I am leaning towards the G17, XDm, Sig P226, M&P, blah blah blah. It's agonizingly delightful! :smile:

If glock doesn't suit your fancy the sig is a great choice. 1911's aren't the best for home defense imho UNLESS it has a rail for a light. I know there are methods for usings a light in your other hand, but they are cumbersome even with training. Not to mention in the middle of the night jumping out of bed because of a bad guy.

Thanks guys! I am researching for a home defense hand gun and just curious on the importance of having external safeties and decocking levers. I have read the stories of accidental discharges, and the argument that regardless of safeties and decocks, the shooter still pulls the trigger with a chambered round.

When I first bought a pistol I bought one with an external safety, a Beretta, because I was the first person in the family to buy a pistol and I knew that out at the shooting range it would get passed around a lot which it did. For some reason people who with a rifle would never have their finger on the trigger and are always mindful of the muzzle direction get a pistol in their hand and immediately put their finger on the trigger and point it where they shouldn't. I think it has to do with a combination of the way a pistol just fits in to the hand and not having the barrel sticking out as a reminder of where to point it. Since that first pistol the only reason I would buy a pistol with an external safety is if the pistol I want doesn't come without one, its just one more place to collect dirt.

Kent, it's just like straight razors. You obsess over your first purchase then you realize you should just buy more as you go. :001_smile

Last edited:
Right there with you. What you start with will likely be trivial, lol. For what it's worth, mine was a G19. Flocks are very easy guns to use and work on (if I can do it).

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am still waffling...leaning towards a gen3 22, but the Sig 2022 looks pretty interesting. Any input?

Can't argue with Glock, a well made, reliable firearm. I went w/ a S&W M&P. However, if the weapon is purely for self defense in the home, remember that almost any round will pass through both interior and exterior walls. Innocent people have been killed as a result. I recommend a shotgun w/ #8 bird shot. Stops weasels in their tracks and won't penetrate even interior walls. A "sawed off" (Class III) is a dandy home defense weapon and just perfect for social work. Do you do much shooting? Check w/ friends and ranges. Try an assortment of pistols and calibers. When you find the make, model and caliber you like, I recommend Hornady's Critical Defense. They also make "Zombie Max". Same ballistics but different colored "BB", red for CD, green for ZM. Beter yet, a box of each. Then for Christmas alternate red, green, red, green, etc. in case you find someone other than Santa under your tree.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I shot a bunch when I used to visit family up on San Fran, but never owned one. For all intents and purposes I am a new shooter. Gonna go down to he LGS tomorrow and drop some coin on a g22 Gen 3.

I think.

:lol:

The heck with the Glock! If you're not going to have to lug it around, get a 12 gauge pump shotgun. It's a much more effective weapon.

There is your answer Kent. I love my 1911, but if you come in my house uninvited, you're gonna get this.

$image.jpg

Of course if I could shoot like goatee, things might be different.

Top Bottom