What's new

Gillettes New top cap on a tech bottom plate

Quick question for the learned and knowledgeable. Can a Gillette NEW top cap be used on a Gillette Tech bottom plate? Either both pre or post war techs. Thank you for your assistance and happy shaves.

Yes if you have a tech plate with slots. Some of the newer techs do not have slots to accommodate the bar on the cap. Just tried a couple techs and new caps to test.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There are a few different caps, here are two for the short comb. The right side image has a nubs that may or may not fit in the tech's plate. I've never tried it. Just check if it claps tightly.

And yeah,. the four corner tab late zamac cap Techs won't work with the New cap (as above).

full

Yes if you have a tech plate with slots. Some of the newer techs do not have slots to accommodate the bar on the cap. Just tried a couple techs and new caps to test.
Awesome that is great to know. I have purchased an English flat bottom tech that looks to have an English NEW top cap. I havjt recieved it yet and was unsure if I should ask for a refund.

There are a few different caps, here are two for the short comb. The right side image has a nubs that may or may not fit in the tech's plate. I've never tried it. Just check if it claps tightly.

And yeah,. the four corner tab late zamac cap Techs won't work with the New cap (as above).

full
Thank you. Would u know if an English Gillette NEW top cap would work with an English flat bottom tech bottom plate? The NEWS top cap does not have the 4 nubs at the corners like the techs top plate does. Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Would u know if an English Gillette NEW top cap would work with an English flat bottom tech bottom plate?
No, but I do know this US New cap (left) surely won't fit this English flat bottom (middle). :facep:

full

Center bar is full length!

No, but I do know this US New cap (left) surely won't fit this English flat bottom (middle). :facep:

full

Center bar is full length!
Thank you. The top cap I'm dealing with is not full length so I guess there remains hope :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004_153825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_153825_Chrome.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom