What's new

Does anyone wear a Rolex as their daily timepiece?

I wear mine when the fancy takes me

proxy.php

But searching for the photo I find I haven't for a couple of weeks

A few years ago, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a very nice Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have never worn it for fear that it is too valuable, and that it could get scratched, lost, or stolen. Anyone else wear theirs out and about on a regular basis (or not)?

Yes wear my Sub daily (16610). Wonderful and the few scratches it gets are just beautiful scars of life :001_tt1:

Never had a Rolex, but I've worn both a Omega Planet Ocean and Doxa as daily drivers. Neither was spared abuse - dive boats, sailing, fishing, hiking, home improvement projects, etc - and were both beat-to-**** when I sold them on ebay for way more than I thought possible (75-80% of what I paid for 'em new). One buyer even emailed me back excited about the "wabi" on the watch. I would say insure and enjoy it - tool watches are meant to be worn and look better with a little use on em.

Never had a Rolex, but I've worn both a Omega Planet Ocean and Doxa as daily drivers. Neither was spared abuse - dive boats, sailing, fishing, hiking, home improvement projects, etc - and were both beat-to-**** when I sold them on ebay for way more than I thought possible (75-80% of what I paid for 'em new). One buyer even emailed me back excited about the "wabi" on the watch. I would say insure and enjoy it - tool watches are meant to be worn and look better with a little use on em.
Had to look up wabi lol. And there are people who will actually pay MORE money for some things to look used. Pants with holes and brand new guitars that look like they have been on the road for 20 years.

I can't believe I've never posted in this thread. I bought a Submariner Date in 1985 with the raise I got when I was promoted for the first time at work. Apart from leaving it with the dealer for occasional maintenance and rare repairs, I've worn it every day since then.

Also can't believe I haven't see this thread.

Yea, I love Rolex, complete fanboi and admit it.

I have 3 - a "Bluesy", which is the blue dialed Submariner, a Day-Date, and this is my daily.

Daytona 116520

Rolex_Daytona_124018.jpg

Yes, a 42mm black Explorer II.

I rotate that mostly with an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT.
Is yours the one with the white(ish) dial on a deployant bracelet? My daily wearer is an Omega SS & gold date on a matching bracelet. If I was to stop wearing it, it would be for your watch. I bought mine in early 1998, my first quality watch. Since then I've acquired a Girard-Perregaux 1945 moon phase and a Patek Calatrava manual wind (hobnail bezel & enamel dial) but those are on straps and I can't wear them all the time. Patek, by the way has the best service of any of them, as long as you can get to NY and their office. My daily Omega has been stolen and recovered twice, adjusted once, and had a couple of cleaning/polishings. Looks and keeps time as well as the day I first put it on.

All these Rolexes are gorgeous, and meant to be worn. I just can't keep one working. It's peculiar to me. Ive had three, a SS & gold Datejust, a Day/Date w/President bracelet, and an 18K plain on an aftermarket gold mesh bracelet. Broke all three clipping showcases when I worked retail and gave up. The Omega just keeps on ticking, and keeps coming home.

Is yours the one with the white(ish) dial on a deployant bracelet? My daily wearer is an Omega SS & gold date on a matching bracelet. If I was to stop wearing it, it would be for your watch. I bought mine in early 1998, my first quality watch. Since then I've acquired a Girard-Perregaux 1945 moon phase and a Patek Calatrava manual wind (hobnail bezel & enamel dial) but those are on straps and I can't wear them all the time. Patek, by the way has the best service of any of them, as long as you can get to NY and their office. My daily Omega has been stolen and recovered twice, adjusted once, and had a couple of cleaning/polishings. Looks and keeps time as well as the day I first put it on.

All these Rolexes are gorgeous, and meant to be worn. I just can't keep one working. It's peculiar to me. Ive had three, a SS & gold Datejust, a Day/Date w/President bracelet, and an 18K plain on an aftermarket gold mesh bracelet. Broke all three clipping showcases when I worked retail and gave up. The Omega just keeps on ticking, and keeps coming home.
I have the black dial Explorer II and the blue dial Omega Goodplanet GMT (pictured above).

Gift from my wife, 1984 Oyster Perpetual Date: worn almost daily for 35 years - in the shower, in the pool, on the golf course, bicycling through seven countries on four continents. Every seven to ten years it goes in for service (about a Kbuck a crack, so keep that in mind), and while in for service there they polish most of the scuffs and scratches out of the crystal, too.

Tom

Top Bottom