What's new

Does anyone wear a Rolex as their daily timepiece?

Add me to the "wear it!" contingent. If you're worried about it getting lost or stolen, add a rider to your homeowner's insurance. If you're worried about it getting scratched - there's two things:

1) some people like their watches to show some wear, thinking it adds character. I'm not one of them, so I try to keep my watches - either expensive or cheap - looking good. I'm just careful not to knock it, scratch it, etc. So wear it with care.

2) Even if you wear it and get some scratches on it - you can send it in to Rolex service when it's time for servicing and they'll give it a polish and refinish the watch - they can leave it looking almost new.

Among expensive watches, Rolexes especially are meant to be worn - they're probably the sturdiest high end watches out there. They've been worn by explorers, sportsmen, divers, etc.

A few years ago, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a very nice Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have never worn it for fear that it is too valuable, and that it could get scratched, lost, or stolen. Anyone else wear theirs out and about on a regular basis (or not)?

Wear it! Took me 5 years of saving up on the side to get mine and I never take it off (sleep, shower, shave with it on)...

The opinions here seem to be rather lopsided. I have thought of selling it and buying an Omega or a Tag Heuer that I would be more comfortable wearing. As for SWMBO, she and I are very much the same: she seldom wears the beautiful jewelry I have bought her, and she never wears any of the fancy French perfume I have given her (even though she seems to really like it.) I thank you all for your advice, and I will let you know if I decide to wear it or trade down.

You could always sell it and buy a Omega Seamaster and put the rest in savings... My brother has seamaster and he loves it!

A few years ago, for my 40th birthday, my wife gave me a very nice Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I have never worn it for fear that it is too valuable, and that it could get scratched, lost, or stolen. Anyone else wear theirs out and about on a regular basis (or not)?

La Mosca,

Your wife gave you the watch.....? As a gift....? Wear it man! Fear is a scary thing and if you're worried about losing it, scratching it or getting it nicked then think of how GOOD you'll feel every time you put it on, check the time...and think of your wife.

Mate, I've worn mine to some pretty shady places in this world, scratched the bracelet, dropped it... But who gives? Life is far, far too short mate. My father in law bought a VERY expensive Paneri when he retired, never wore it, then passed away too soon - having never enjoyed the thing.

Just my 2 cents.

I wore my first Rolex GMT in combat, Vietnam...Scuba diving...Construction work, sky diving.....Three more combat situations....
It got scratched a little but never failed....It is a fine watch and it was made to wear. It is tougher than you, my friend.

Up until a few years ago, I wore a 1949 Gold Bubbleback as my daily watch.

Go for it. It's a watch. Unless it gets stolen (In which case you may be minus the hand it was on...), it will be just fine. The old ones, especially, are virtually indestructible.

I wear mine everyday.

Except when I wear my Panerai.
Or my Cartier Roadster.
And not when I feel like it's a Breitling day.

Wear it and enjoy in good health. But remember Watch Acquisition Disorder is real too

On our 4th anniversary, I got my wife a nice rock for her wedding ring, she bought me a submariner. Now 30 years later, her rock hasn't changed much in value, where my Rolex is x6. I have worn it every day other than the two times I have had it serviced. Don't baby it or be afraid to wear it, they are built for use, abuse and daily wear.

Al in cColorado

On our 4th anniversary, I got my wife a nice rock for her wedding ring, she bought me a submariner. Now 30 years later, her rock hasn't changed much in value, where my Rolex is x6. I have worn it every day other than the two times I have had it serviced. Don't baby it or be afraid to wear it, they are built for use, abuse and daily wear.

Al in cColorado

Totally...! Bought my Sub 16610 for $5200 and you can't get one for under 9k now in Oz.

The worst thing you can do to a perpetual is not wear it; for the sake of the movement it needs to worn. Do all involved, you, your bride, and the watch, wear and enjoy it.

I have been wearing my Explorer almost daily since I bought it over five years ago, including on several extended bicycle camping tours. I have had it serviced once, at the recommended five year interval, and it still looks new. It is unlikely to get scratched on the sapphire crystal and the case only gets very superficial scratches, which are easily polished out. I don't worry about losing it or having it stolen, because it is almost always on my wrist and because the Explorer is a stealth Rolex anyway. If you choose not to wear it, you should still wind it up every couple of weeks and should still get the routine servicing - it is actually worse for the mechanism to remain unused for long periods than to be used daily, as the lubricants can gum up.

Is a new Rolex as good as the old ones? Been wanting to get a set for the wife and I - but honestly don't know too much about them.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Is a new Rolex as good as the old ones? Been wanting to get a set for the wife and I - but honestly don't know too much about them.

I was talking with a friend today. He said that some Rolex service centers won't work on vintage Rolex watches. That, more or less there are age cut of times. I do not know the extent of the truth on this.

Top Bottom