What's new

Does Alcohol=Barbicide?

I've soaked a Schick injector in Barbicide for several hours and it softened up the plastic/bakelite handle so bad that it deformed it. This razor was fine before the soak, I don't use the stuff anymore, not worth the risk.:angry:

Oh man, that's just sad!

Alcohol does not kill viruses such as AIDS or Hepatitis C. Barbicide does, as does a 10% solution of chlorine bleach (or sufficient exposure to boiling water or steam). Washing with soap and water, and then sterilizing with alcohol will also kill most viruses and bacteria. Barbicide will not oxidize your metal shaving gear like chlorine will. I used to be a certified Red Cross CPR, First Aid, and Shelter Management instructor, and this is what they taught us.

Alcohol is an excellent antiseptic but it is not barbisol. The quartenary salt in barbisol kills viruses faster and can penetrate biofilms more effectively. For alcohol you can use any kind at 70% or stronger. Isopropanol is easiest to get but not everyone likes the smell. Denatured alcohol is great but harder to find. It's 100% usually. It has the real advantage that it will strip water off the blade and then evaporate with no residue. Methyl hydrate drys even faster and is easy to get from hardware stores, but is toxic and absorbs through skin and mucus membranes.
I always finish my shave by dipping my straight in denatured alcohol for 30 seconds while I splash and towel off, then I can put the razor away clean and dry.
Denatured alcohol is found at places like ace and true value by the gallon

Next time that I give blood I'm going to ask them to swab my arm with Barbicide.:001_tt2:
Alcohol does not kill viruses such as AIDS or Hepatitis C. Barbicide does, as does a 10% solution of chlorine bleach (or sufficient exposure to boiling water or steam). Washing with soap and water, and then sterilizing with alcohol will also kill most viruses and bacteria. Barbicide will not oxidize your metal shaving gear like chlorine will. I used to be a certified Red Cross CPR, First Aid, and Shelter Management instructor, and this is what they taught us.

proxy.php

When I can't get hold of an Nuclear weapon, 100% Nitric Acid, Mustard Gas or I'm unable to wire the razor up to 1,000,000 volts I usually try something my Dad used to do about twice a year around 1963 to his Gillette Slim:

Take a tablet of 'Sunlight' or preferably 'Lifebuoy' soap (the pink one smelling of Carbolic Acid) rub like hell with an old toothbrush, rinse off and leave in the sun for a couple of hours.

In the first place, what they taught you just isn't true; alcohol kills HIV for sure.

The more important point it that it DOESN'T MATTER if it kills HIV, because by the time you get the razor, any HIV that was on there is ALREADY DEAD. It dies (on its own, without any help from anything) within minutes to hours of the object's becoming dry. It cannot survive once it is dessicated (i.e., in a dry environment on a non-porous surface). HepC may or may not already be dead (it can survive longer, but not indefinitely), but again it DOESN'T MATTER, because HepC is readily WASHED OFF the razor with soap and water.

Finally, you are using a razor blade to cut the face, not the razor itself.

Is there really a big issue about catching anything from a razor that's 40 - 80yrs old?

I've not died yet or contracted any nasty diseases that I know about... :biggrin1:

From Richard Pryor - "I have friends that have been doing coke for 15 years. They ain't hooked!"

I found that here in the States that Wally World carries Denatured Alcohol (aka methylated spirits, shellac thinner, marine stove fuel, liquid fondue fuel, chafing dish fuel) in the paint section and also Ace Hardware stores also carry it. I currently use the stuff for my backpack camp stove.

Wally used to carry the gallon jugs. Then they went down to the quarts. The last time I looked (about a month ago), they didn't have it. Now, I have to go to Lowes (back in the gallon jugs). I haven't tried Ace. I think it has to do with Meth labs. I use a lot of it to clean rollers on printing and mailing equipment. Makes a great fuel for a squirt gun flame thrower or potato gun, BTW.
:spockflam

Picked up a bottle of Barbacide today at Sally's...surprised that there were actually a few within a 10 mile radius. Just never noticed I guess...6 bucks out the door for the 16oz. bottle : )

So what is the best method for mixing a batch Barbazide if your only doing one razor and what is the best way to dispose of it?

also

What is the shelf life of the undilluted barbazide?

There's nothing "cheap" about it. Every legitimate retailer I see has prices ranging from at least $10 for the 16oz to $25 or more for the larger sizes, and thus doesn't include $3-$4 extra for shipping since no one I know sells it locally.

Whereas, I can get a 16oz bottle of 70% alchohol for $2 and a jug of bleach for a buck. Either one on their own can do just about the same sterilzation job; do one pass of each and can't imagine anything living on a razor.

Jeff in Boston

Actually, Sally Beauty Supply sells it locally and online in the US as well as other barber sites.
Since it is mixed with water and not used straight the cost is minimal.
If you spend enough and you need to order it online, free shipping is possible.
I generally shop locally.
One ounce makes one gallon

In the first place, what they taught you just isn't true; alcohol kills HIV for sure.

The more important point it that it DOESN'T MATTER if it kills HIV, because by the time you get the razor, any HIV that was on there is ALREADY DEAD. It dies (on its own, without any help from anything) within minutes to hours of the object's becoming dry. It cannot survive once it is dessicated (i.e., in a dry environment on a non-porous surface). HepC may or may not already be dead (it can survive longer, but not indefinitely), but again it DOESN'T MATTER, because HepC is readily WASHED OFF the razor with soap and water.

Finally, you are using a razor blade to cut the face, not the razor itself.

1.) Sorry old man, but I must disagree. Isopropyl alcohol does not kill live HIV, nor Hep C (nor a host of other bloodborne pathogens). A quick check with the Center for Disease Control confirmed that. (It is also why junkies are instructed to clean shared needles with a solution of chlorine and water.) From the CDC web-site:

OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard:
In December 1991, OSHA promulgated a standard entitled "Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens" to eliminate or minimize occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens 214. One component of this requirement is that all equipment and environmental and working surfaces be cleaned and decontaminated with an appropriate disinfectant after contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials. Even though the OSHA standard does not specify the type of disinfectant or procedure, the OSHA original compliance document 269 suggested that a germicide must be tuberculocidal to kill the HBV. To follow the OSHA compliance document a tuberculocidal disinfectant (e.g., phenolic, and chlorine) would be needed to clean a blood spill. However, in February 1997, OSHA amended its policy and stated that EPA-registered disinfectants labeled as effective against HIV and HBV would be considered as appropriate disinfectants ". . . provided such surfaces have not become contaminated with agent(s) or volumes of or concentrations of agent(s) for which higher level disinfection is recommended." When bloodborne pathogens other than HBV or HIV are of concern, OSHA continues to require use of EPA-registered tuberculocidal disinfectants or hypochlorite solution (diluted 1:10 or 1:100 with water) 215, 228. Studies demonstrate that, in the presence of large blood spills, a 1:10 final dilution of EPA-registered hypochlorite solution initially should be used to inactivate bloodborne viruses 63, 235 to minimize risk for infection to health-care personnel from percutaneous injury during cleanup.

2.) If you are going to rely on the fact that bacteria or virus will die upon drying with exposure to the air, why bother disinfecting anything beyond just letting it dry out? Would you let a doctor "sterilize" instruments he was about to use on you in such a manner? The danger is not liquid borne pathogens, but risidual organic material (such as skin cells) that could harbor live bacteria or virus long after the surface has dried.

3.) Relax, I never said I thought sterilizing your own shaving gear in such a manner was necessary: I was simpy answering the gentleman's question to the best of my ability. I would not speak irresponsibly on such a matter.

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So, my new vintage razors came in and I haven't gotten any barbicide yet. I do have some 70% alcohol laying around though, could I use that to sterilize the razors as well? They are by no means in mint condition, one is a Fatboy and the other is a gold ball end tech. Would alcohol even be safe to use on the razors? Thanks in advance

Don't over-think it. Just thoroughly rinse in hot water after your shave and let the razor air-dry. In between blade changes, do a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, a little soap and hot water, and air-dry.

One more thing: Never share your personal hygiene tools with anyone else.

My brother-in-law is a professional chemist. Asked him about alcohol vs. Barbicide. This is his reply:

Steve
Alcohol is not a great disinfectant as there are much better ones available. I used to make one for a veterinarian that used an active quateramine trade named Maquat. The problem with it was that if you had excessive prolonged contact it would burn your skin. Many disinfectant soaps use these chemicals to prevent cross contamination in both animal and human hospitals where germs are everywhere and some of them are nasty. Fortunately we do not normally encounter the really nasty ones during the normal course of our daily lives.
George

Top Bottom