What's new

Do you wear a jacket for sun protection in the summer?

Do you wear a summer jacket for sun protection?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you wear a jacket for sun protection in the summer? If so, can you describe or send a pointer to what you wear.

I was thinking of getting a tennis jacket to use during my walks. It gets 100+ degrees out here and I can feel my arms burning even while driving, so I need some protection.

I don't wear one yet, but I want to, so I didn't vote.

Last edited:
I wear long sleeved t-shirts and button downs (wrangler work shirts) when outside after it gets above 80. I've had waaaaay to many melanoma spots removed from my body due to sun abuse.

I don't usually use a jacket but when working outside I use a long sleeve under armour shirt but the cool fit ones but besides that honestly I just avoid the sun during summer time

I like the outdoorsy fishing shirts... Wear nothing, dry quick. Great for walking or standing in the sun. I life guarded for six summers and was super tan all of them. After ten years in the dungeons we call professional kitchens I burn while driving/riding in the car and walking across the parking lots.

strop

Now half as wise
SPF 50 or greater sunscreen, hats with brims, and loose fitting long sleeves. Lots of stuff now made with pretty good SPF ratings. Or just stay inside during the worst of the afternoon.

SPF 50 or greater sunscreen, hats with brims, and loose fitting long sleeves. Lots of stuff now made with pretty good SPF ratings. Or just stay inside during the worst of the afternoon.

Trust this guy!

As a kid, I was out in the hot sun far too much and luckily have suffered no ill effects. These days I try to avoid being out in the heat of the day as much as possible and wear long sleeves as protection when I can. Hiking and fishing clothing is good for protection.

I will only put on a jacket if it is windy or raining.

For sun protection, I wear long-sleeve shirts ... but that is my style choice, year-round. I never leave the house wearing just a t-shirt, and I don't even own any short-sleeve shirts. I've always been self-conscious about having skinny arms, so that is why I favor long-sleeve shirts.

I am forced to wear a short-sleeve polo shirt at work, and I sometimes work outdoors. I've got a visible tan-line already from working outside even though we're only a couple weeks into the outside part of my seasonal job, and even at that, I only spend perhaps a total of an hour each day under the sun.

I used to have people question why I would wear long sleeves in hot weather, but I ask them to look at a traditional Arab style of dress. They wrap themselves head-to-toe, to shade themselves from the sun. And that layer of clothing also provides a pocket of air around the body, which aids to insulating oneself from the extreme heat.

I usually don't wear a jacket to even long sleeve shirts for sun protection. However I don't stay out for very long if there's a chance of getting fried to a crisp. I do use zinc oxide sunscreen, which seems to be the least dangerous option of all the chemical sunblocks. On occasions, mostly in extreme climates, I do wear long-sleeve safari type shirts. Also be aware that skin cancer rates have kept up with increased use of sun protection products. Many sunblocks deteriorate under UV light into many carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds. Also, avoiding all sunlight is not healthy, since absence of UV light reduces natural Vitamin D protection. And high Vitamin D levels protect skin from UV. Obviously, those prone to skin cancer, for example if it runs in the family, need to be extra careful.

Where do you see age spots and sound image on old people? On the top of ears, on the nose, and on the arms and hands. So those are the areas that need most protection. Wide-brimmed hats and long sleeves help. However, many fabrics let quite a bit UV light pass through, but there is outdoor clothing that comes with extra UV protection.

Also don't forget to wear good sunglasses to help prevent cataracts.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I get a sunburn when I look at a Japanese flag and I need to put on sunscreen when I open the refrigerator.

This is what I try to do. Then again, in Texas, summers are brutal no matter what.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Usually it's long-sleeved shirts instead. I tend to look for ones with decent stated SPF ratings, so I know how well they will work. I also have an unlined, soft-shouldered, cotton "sports jacket" (very casual) that I can wear for less active times in the sun, but usually no, just the shirt ...

... and hat, of course!!

I get a sunburn when I look at a Japanese flag and I need to put on sunscreen when I open the refrigerator.

Good thing you don't live in British Columbia ...

proxy.php

Long sleeve shirts for me too. The Aussie sun can be savage so sleeves, sunscreen and a boonie (or bucket hat of some description)

Edit: I also keep a shemagh with me ah all times aswell, brilliant to keep the sun off you in the heat and warm u up in the cold

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wear long sleeve UnderArmour Heat Gear shirts (along with boxer briefs). I will pair that up with a UA skull cap from time to time.

I like the outdoorsy fishing shirts... Wear nothing, dry quick. Great for walking or standing in the sun. I life guarded for six summers and was super tan all of them. After ten years in the dungeons we call professional kitchens I burn while driving/riding in the car and walking across the parking lots.

This. Plus as a science teacher, casting shirts and hiking pants are a uniform.

Top Bottom