What's new

Do you wear a jacket for sun protection in the summer?

Do you wear a summer jacket for sun protection?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
No way would I wear a jacket at 100+F days. Lose fitting long sleeve shirts, like I use for fishing (most are 30 or even 50 SPF).
Pretty much do I wear long sleeved shirts and a protection for the head (cap, hat etc) when I am longer outside.

For both sun and mosquito protection I like to wear long sleeve shirts when working outside. When it is 90F+ I find that an old dress shirt is as cool as about anything else.

I am at that age where I am getting paranoid about too much sun. Even in England it can get fierce, at least for a few weeks. I wear a Harrington jacket and driving gloves if I'm on the road for a while. I saw a bbc doc' about how the uvb rays go straight through the glass, they did some sort of imaging tests to show a few truck drivers the damage they had sustained on their hands and arms after years of driving. Scary. Maybe they should put spf 50 in the screen wash!

Darker clothing does a better job of protecting your skin. However, even a white cotton long sleeve dress shirt is better than a short sleeve.

I am at that age where I am getting paranoid about too much sun. Even in England it can get fierce, at least for a few weeks. I wear a Harrington jacket and driving gloves if I'm on the road for a while. I saw a bbc doc' about how the uvb rays go straight through the glass, they did some sort of imaging tests to show a few truck drivers the damage they had sustained on their hands and arms after years of driving. Scary. Maybe they should put spf 50 in the screen wash!

That is indeed one of my concerns. For some reason my 2015 car seems a LOT worse at rejecting heat than my 2003 car (both BMW 3 series). I do know the supplier of the glass is different, so it's possible that explains the difference.

Darker clothing does a better job of protecting your skin. However, even a white cotton long sleeve dress shirt is better than a short sleeve.

I always dress in short sleeve polos, weekday or weekend, that's why I was looking for a jacket. I guess I could switch my wardrobe to long sleeve polos and that would solve the sun problem, but then it would get uncomfortable indoors.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I don't wear a jacket to protect myself from the sun.

The shade is where I go to not get burnt.

I don't wear a jacket to protect myself from the sun.

The shade is where I go to not get burnt.

Where do you live? Where I live that is almost impossible to do in the summer. There are vast open areas and when driving the sun hits pretty car. Tint on the windshield and front windows is not legal.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Where do I live?

It says on the right side of my post.

It's shady in the eastern part of the United States. I've been in southern New Mexico, where there are few trees, and I didn't like it.

I don't like those desert areas or areas with little shade. Give me those shade trees.

Where do I live?

It says on the right side of my post.

It's shady in the eastern part of the United States. I've been in southern New Mexico, where there are few trees, and I didn't like it.

I don't like those desert areas or areas with little shade. Give me those shade trees.

Sorry signatures and locations don't show when viewing on a mobile device (at least not on iOS with safari).

Even with the trees and stuff, don't you still run into issues when driving? Or is front window tint legal over there?

And all this time I thought that glass filtered damaging UV. After a quick glance at the top internet search results it seems that: most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. So even though glass provides protection against sunburn, skin damage is still occurring. Which should be obvious on some level just by knowing how much sunlight can fade fabrics (rugs, chairs, etc) within the home which never gets any direct sunlight.

Sunlight exposure is good for vitamin D production which is essential for good health, but too much might lead to the dreaded 'C' or melanoma. Hard for someone to know the right balance, it is not like we walk around with some UV geiger counter mounted to our head.

There has been some great advice here so not much I can really add. I will say there are a lot more companies who make sun protection clothing than just a few years ago. Sometimes it's sports specific (fishing or biking) and sometimes just for outdoor wear (Coolibar is one example). A quick search on the interweb will give you a good idea of what's available.

So the answer is yes to "Should I wear something?", just maybe not a jacket per se as there are plenty of good, comfortable options these days.

:thumbup1:

And all this time I thought that glass filtered damaging UV. After a quick glance at the top internet search results it seems that: most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. So even though glass provides protection against sunburn, skin damage is still occurring. Which should be obvious on some level just by knowing how much sunlight can fade fabrics (rugs, chairs, etc) within the home which never gets any direct sunlight.

Sunlight exposure is good for vitamin D production which is essential for good health, but too much might lead to the dreaded 'C' or melanoma. Hard for someone to know the right balance, it is not like we walk around with some UV geiger counter mounted to our head.

Prescription glasses are typically coated for UV blocking.

Also the ozone layer keeps a lot of the UV in check but it is slowly depleting and hence perhaps the rise in incidence of skin cancer. It has depleted 4% since the 1970s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_layer#Depletion

I found this for cars. I'm going to check on the auto forums if anyone has this.
http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive/auto-films/ultragard-uv

Wearing a shirt on top of a polo seems weird. I think it either has to be long sleeved polos or a jacket over the polo.

Shirts are probably OK over a T.

A Jean-jacket over a t-shirt if there's a breeze blowing - a denim shirt over a t-shirt if there isn't
A Jean-jacket with one of the lightweight, porous camo t-shirts, available in 7 different patterns that the Chinese sell on eBay looks cool too !!

I grew up as a lot of that are older without the knowledge of what sun damage can do to your skin. I grew up in a seaside town so the beach was right there. We would take pride in getting the first couple of burns each summer , knowing we would get a dark tan. Both my brothers have had skin cancer cut out multiple times.

Top Bottom