What's new

Do you use a seperate lather bowl?

I guess I missed the memo... I use the same, just lather right on the puck. But I'm still a newbie and learning how to get a nice lather to begin with so ignore me :lol:
You might want to see what everyone else is doing in this thread and then decide to follow their lead... :thumbup1:

I use my Georgetown Pottery scuttle and love it. Especially in the winter. It keeps the lather nice and warm. I highly recommend them!

Scuttles in winter

Lather bowls in summer.

If I load the brush heavily on the soap puck and don't want to "invest" the time building a thick lather in one of my bowls/scuttles I will just face lather with the loaded brush.

The gate swings both ways for me about lathering. Face or bowl, I enjoy both.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I load on a puck, then either face lather or build lather ina separate bowl. Did try to build lather right on a puck but found it too messy.

Did try to build lather right on a puck but found it too messy.

For many years I would build the lather right on the puck. Then after reading how so many guys use a separate lather bowl I decided to try it. I found you can make more and better lather using a lather bowl or a scuttle.

Wow. I guess I need to change my game. I thought you were supposed to lather right on the puck. The mug my wife got me for my starter kit seems designed for lathering on the puck. I'm going to look at changing it up!

I guess I missed the memo... I use the same, just lather right on the puck. But I'm still a newbie and learning how to get a nice lather to begin with so ignore me :lol:
It's personal preference, as long as you are getting a nice lather, you are doing it right ^^

I'm kind of a neat freek, and really don't like it when the lather works up the brush and passed the knot onto the handle. I guess I'm wierd that way. the result is a forever face latherer for me. I can really control where the lather goes doing that. however, I do LOVE using a scuttle to keep the brush warm between passes, so.......I guess I'm one of the hybrids...:a34:

I lather therefore I am.

I use a coffee mug to hold my soap.
I soak my brush while filling the sink in hot water and i submerge my bowl completely.

I fill the mug so that the water just barely submerges my soap.
I use a hot wet rag on my face for around 2 minutes (soak in fresh hot water every minute) while the soap softens and my brush absorbs water (boar).

I empty the warm bowl, and pour a bit of the soapy water into it, dump the rest of the soap water into the toilet (yay pee bubbles!).

I shake the excess water out of my brush but leave enough in to ensure enough water gets mixed into the lather.
I generously load my brush with soap for about 15 seconds, move to the bowl and go to town for about 60 seconds.

I place bowl into the sink so the water keeps it warm and that is that.

I squeeze some Proraso from the tube into a bowl just like yours, after it has been soaking in hot water. Then I whip up a nice lather, in the bowl. Works great for me!

I think at this point I can say I was a bowl lathering guy. Now I am discovering that I actually prefer face lathering. Doesn't really matter why for this thread so...when I was bowl lathering I would use a separate bowl.

Separate. I have enough pucks that I like to let them dry out in between. Also, I like to soak my bowl in the hot water in the sink along with the brush while I shower. And, finally, I also tend to use a shaving caddy style scuttle.

Top Bottom