What's new

Do you regret buying your first straight razor?

The only reason I regret buying my first straight is because I screwed it up while trying to hone. My first straight was a Dovo Best Quality, and I tried to teach myself how to hone right off the bat (not a good idea!). I ended up putting an uneven bevel on it with uneven hone wear. Eventually I had to send it out to a member to have it honed...In retrospect I wish I went with something cheaper!!

I got some straights, but I still use DEs and SEs as much as I use straights.

My story is similar. I enjoy shaving with straights, DEs, SEs, injectors-- I guess that boils down to just about any wet shaving implement. The variety is great, but the downside (at least insofar as using a straight razor is concerned) is that my technique isn't as good as I'd like. I can get a DFS with a straight, but it takes me quite a bit longer than with a safety razor. My straights see more use on weekends. And, although I can do basic straight razor maintenance, I'm looking forward to really learning to hone in the not-too-distant future. But, to answer the question posed in the OP, I have absolutely no regrets about venturing into straight razor shaving.

I've only shaved with my straight once, but it was awesome! The only potential regret is that I'm finding myself obsessed with straight razors now. I already bought (and am waiting for) a second straight off the BST, along with a strop, and if I were quicker to read a thread the other day, I'd have foolishly purchased a third. I'm afraid straights have a way worse AD associated with them, which may cause regret.. nah. I really can't wait to get the strop, which I thought might be here today, and will order some lapping film soon. Oh, and yeah.. still plan on shaving with all my other DEs and SEs, for sure.

I kind of regretted selling some blades , but at the same time they weren't getting used much and sentimental keeping sometimes amounts to hoarding. So yeah I am glad I sold my first razor.

Thanks for all the responses! The ones from folks who bought & sold only to rebuy again were very helpful. I have a healthy collection of very expensive japanese kitchen knives and the corresponding stones, so this is something that was always interesting to me. Looks like it's time to dive in!

Not. At. All. All my straights are all older than me, and they all shave great. Would never part with any of them (I should note that two of my four are family "heirlooms").

I regret every straight that I have sold.

I wish that I could have kept every single one of them.

Yeesh...I hate reading that. I just sold several I know I will miss at some point.

But to answer the OP, no regrets here. The move from DE to straights was as good or better as going from cartridge razors to DE's.

I regret buying my first, but I dont regret the others that followed! My first was a dovo best quality. Its the only razor I have that doesnt stay sharp for a whole shave. I have honed it as I do my others but cant keep a sharp edge. The straight works for me, Im a happy man. Something about the end of the blade unprotected with any angle you want to wack those whiskers away. I had a hard time with one area of my neck, but thats behind me now. You will have to hone somewhere somehow or send it out. Learning to hone on a new or good shape razor is easier that a bunch of ebay specials like I did. I have no regrets. See article on lapping film if you dont want to dive in head first to buying hones. I think a norton 4/8 and lapping film for the rest might work. You still need a lapping plate or stone. Good luck!

My only regret is that I didn't buy my last straight first because I was afraid to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't sure of.

My only regret is that I didn't buy my most recent straight first because I was afraid to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't sure of.

Fixed that for you.

There is no such thing as your last straight. There is always another one.

And another.

And a spare.

And the one with a barber's notch.

I better try a wedge too.

Hmmm, full hollow? Yeah better get one...

Too true, Seraphim. I thought two 7 days sets was IT. Then another razor or two I couldn't bare to walk away from turned up, now I have to buy another 7-day razor roll...

Too true, Seraphim. I thought two 7 days sets was IT. Then another razor or two I couldn't bare to walk away from turned up, now I have to buy another 7-day razor roll...

yeah me too. i thought 3 sets was enough, only 1 true set though, and i just wan' moar.. :drool:

The only reason I regret buying my first straight is because I screwed it up while trying to hone. My first straight was a Dovo Best Quality, and I tried to teach myself how to hone right off the bat (not a good idea!). I ended up putting an uneven bevel on it with uneven hone wear. Eventually I had to send it out to a member to have it honed...In retrospect I wish I went with something cheaper!!

This is my concern. I just bought my first straight a couple weeks ago. I ordered a brand new shave ready Boker Edelweiss from TSS. I have yet to use it. What got me started was that my dad pulled out my great uncle's old straight so I that piqued my interest. I got a cheap $12 strop and have but practicing my stropping with my great uncle's old razor, because it's dull with an uneven bevel and I was told that it would be difficult or not worth making it shave ready, so I'm just practicing stropping with it. But, I wanted to have a nice razor so I got the Edelweiss, but now I am struggling a bit to find the courage to strop it and use it. I have no intentions of honing it myself.... and since I got it from TSS it should not need to be honed for a while.... but when it does I will probably send it out to someone else to have it honed. I'm not tentitive about the actual shave with a straight, but I worry about doing something to mess it up. When you're not used to using something you lack the muscle memory or whatever. Guys who handle straights everyday can whip them out and use them relatively effortlessly without concerns about accidently banging the edge on the counter or closing the edge on the scales.... and ruining the edge. That's why I've just been practicing stropping with my uncle's old razor.... until I get comfortable enough just handling it.

I was talking to my barber about it last Saturday when I was in for a cut and he recommended just taking some scotch tape and taping over the edge of my uncle's old razor, lathering up, and going through "dry runs" so to speak. Just to get the motion down and help train your muscles to get accustomed to using the straight. I can remember feeling this way a bit about using a DE razor for the first time. I couldn't even lift the DE razor to my face without nearly nicking myself. Now, I feel like I could toss a DE razor at my face and make a clean pass.

Anyway, these are my concerns right now about my first straight. I guess I'm taking it slower than some guys would.... but there's also no reason to hurry. It's Open Comb March and I'm enjoying my OC DE razors in the meantime. But someday I think I will really enjoy shaving with my straight razor.

Ben

Funny thing about regret; it's better to regret something that you have done, than to regret something that you haven't done - The Butthole Surfers

Top Bottom