What's new

Do you only need three knives?

I might tend to agree with their assessment in a typical "everyday use" kitchen. But for those who branch out there may be a few more tools that are quite desirable, a cleaver comes to mind.

I could live with that. An extra chefs knife might be handy if prepping meat and vegetables at the same time but that's more a luxury.

I wouldn't want to be without a semi-flexible longer blade knife like a filet or boning knife. After my chefs knife that gets the most use in my kitchen. Ever try to skin a fish or remove the silver skin on a tenderloin with a chefs knife?

If this article was written with the potential Ginsu buyer in mind, I agree. That cook uses their one favorite knife for everything anyway. I, on the other hand, have 3 paring knives, 3 chefs, 2 carvers and a boner and I "need" all of them. I am not an animal!

If this article was written with the potential Ginsu buyer in mind, I agree. That cook uses their one favorite knife for everything anyway. I, on the other hand, have 3 paring knives, 3 chefs, 2 carvers and a boner and I "need" all of them. I am not an animal!

I'm not cooking with you...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sure, I --could-- live with only those three, but I'd rather not. I mean, I got a job, so I think I might splurge a little and get my tool kit up to, say, the six or seven that I do use.

In addition to what they have, I have my flexible, curved boning knife (which you can pry out of my cold, dead hands), my 14" granton slicer that I use for large roasts, briskets, wheel of cheese, etc., my 12" granton that is part of my carving set (with a narrower blade than the 14"), and my cleaver.

I also have a good cheese knife, a good smaller slicer, a tomato knife, and what have you. I could give them up.

I only "need" a friggin' lean-to on the edge of a clearing, but as it turns out, I live in a house.

I wouldn't want to be without a semi-flexible longer blade knife like a filet or boning knife. After my chefs knife that gets the most use in my kitchen. Ever try to skin a fish or remove the silver skin on a tenderloin with a chefs knife?

This, I think. I could do without the serrated bread knife, for the most part. I like having a long knife that is not serrated, but I could do without it.

My normal knife at home is a mac 7.25" utility knife. It's the right size not to need a filet knife and a larger chef's knife. I rarely ever use the paring knife because the utility knife is virtually as easy to wield. It's what I use 98% of the time. The only time I tend to break out the bread knife is to cut loaves of bread. On rare occasions I also use a boning knife but even then I can normally get by with the utility knife.

If you live alone and don't cook often then yes those three might be enough. But for me with a wife and two kids to cook for my ten kitchen knives are sometimes not enough.

They certainly get the basics done, but every chef I have ever worked with has a few boning and specialty knives in their kit.

Top Bottom