What's new

Do You Inspect The Lather That's Wiped Off Your Blade?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Since I started wiping the lather off my SR blade onto a sponge, rather than rinsing it off, I have developed a habit of each time inspecting the removed lather for signs of my cut whiskers. Is this unusual?

At my age and greying hair, only the darker cutoffs are visible. In a few years time, I will probably have to find a black lather to shave with.

I never rinse my blades. I shave, and then I wipe the lather off onto a towel or my finger, to see the stubble.

It's interesting.

Once in a while… tbh i think to those guys who dont like to waste soap or dont think big knots are good to use and wonder if they consider somehow recycling this lather - has it really been used effectively, does it feel its done it’s job fully? Have i just anthropomorphized lather? Most of it never touched the skin or beard, clearly it has more use - doesnt it? And then i rinse it down the sink and go back to the puck for more.

No, not unusual for me. For the first pass, with all the three-day whiskers, I'm in the habit of wiping them off on couple of folds of toilet paper, then throwing the accumulation into the trash once the pass is complete. This is mostly done to keep the sink from clogging with hair, but I do find it useful to observe how much stubble is being removed relative to the location on the face and the part of the blade being used. For the second pass and touch-ups, the blade is rinsed regularly with running tap water.

Welcome to the sponge camp. Visual feedback on the effectiveness of your shaving strokes is one of the many advantages of incorporating a sponge into your shave routine. Not all sponges are created equal. For the best results consider picking up a natural Wool Sea Sponge. The softness and structure of this species of sponge makes it ideal for straight razor shaving.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What surprises me is; I think that there is nothing more to shave, I then do another pass and there are still whiskers appearing in my lather.

My whiskers are salt & pepper so I currently only see the dark ones. As my whiskers go from pepper to more salt, I am going to work on developing a black cloured lather 😁.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What surprises me is; I think that there is nothing more to shave, I then do another pass and there are still whiskers appearing in my lather.

My whiskers are salt & pepper so I currently only see the dark ones. As my whiskers go from pepper to more salt, I am going to work on developing a black cloured lather 😁.
Just mix some waterproof ink in it.

Top Bottom